My slow-build '67

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: My slow-build '67

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 17 Mar 2017, 11:08

Nice looking cat! And neat clouds in that one picture. Now, about the slow build, it immediately put me in mind of this:

Hmmph. Youtube embed broken with the upgrade?

https://youtu.be/GcCNcgoyG_0
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 05 Apr 2017, 20:41

It's getting there. I hope to have the front end back together and the brakes bled by Saturday. A few incorrect parts delayed me a bit, as did ordering other bits I simply forgot about. Here's how it sits right now. I installed the strut rods this evening, All I have left is the sway, master cylinder, and that should do it for this little project. I can't have new suspension and brakes and 50 year old parts on the rear, so that will be next. I also need seats, just something for this summer that aren't in the bad shape mine are in. I'd like to be a little comfier cruising around.
Attachments
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG (175.64 KiB) Viewed 509 times
IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG (181.09 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 24 Apr 2017, 10:24

My car was built 50 years ago today. For its birthday, I'm treating it to alignment. The front end rebuild is (hopefully) complete. The drive to the shop was nice. No rubbing over bumps, the brake pedal stayed firm the entire trip. I was telling a buddy that since I didn't even think about the brakes until I pulled into the shop, that means they work well. Even then, my thought was, wow, my pedal stayed perfect the entire trip here.

I'm pretty happy with how it sits right now. I'll take a look at the project car budget to see what I can afford to take a stab at next.

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 24 Apr 2017, 15:56

Love the brakes. Probably the best money I've spent on mine thus far. And you're right about not noticing when they work like they should. When I hit the brakes un mine it's like hitting the brakes in our '13 Fiesta. That wasn't the case when I first got it. If it weren't for the pedal fade, I really wouldn't know my Galaxie had drums. It actually bites in that well and stops that quick. It's the follow up that isn't so great.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 02 May 2017, 12:21

I really like this car. I took it out for a few errands today. The brakes are great. I need to make the interior comfy, and would love a 5 speed swap. Alignment is really good, the car tracks perfectly straight, easy to turn, maneuver. Mechanically, I'd say I'm happy to cruise as is for this spring/summer, although I'm sure I'll take up other small projects during the year.

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 03 May 2017, 05:29

It's great to see someone enjoying their cat as much as you are. I am back in the saddle on mine now that I have the new door latch and striker installed. The door was getting so hard to unlock/open that I would be frustrated before I ever got in the car.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 15 Jun 2017, 07:45

Not much to report on the Cougar front. I'm not a fan of how much higher the front end is after installing the Grab a trak 1" drop springs. I know the old springs were, well, old, but I'm probably 2" or so higher up in the nose. I'd like to get the rear springs, still. I'm also starting to research what my drivetrain plans will be. I have a buddy with a '97 Explorer engine in good running shape that I can play around with. My current 289 is bored .060 over. It's running fine, but I would like to go to fuel injection, and just a kit for EFI runs more than a fully dressed '90s 302.

I got a chuckle out of this yesterday...my nephew was over and looking at the front of the Cougar. He comments on how small the headlights are. I was a bit confused, as the headlight doors were down. He thought the small turn indicators below the bumper were the headlights. I lifted the doors, and he was awed by that.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 15 Jun 2017, 08:23

Huzer21 wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 07:45
Not much to report on the Cougar front. I'm not a fan of how much higher the front end is after installing the Grab a trak 1" drop springs. I know the old springs were, well, old, but I'm probably 2" or so higher up in the nose. I'd like to get the rear springs, still...
Funny about the GAT springs. With the Shelby drop, my front end was too low using (what I assume are) the same springs. I used the 1" urethane spacers Mootangs Plus sells and the damned things deformed/walked out, wore a hole through one of my shocks too (I therefore DO NOT recommend them!). MP was no help with the damage their crap caused. I went to 1" aluminum spacers I got from Summit, I forget the make. Now, I have a very pleasing height.

Anyway, strange how different our results are. Maybe since I run a Cleveland and factory AC, Shelby drop, etc. makes the difference.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 15 Jun 2017, 10:29

Hmm, I have the same urethane spacers. Maybe I'll swap those out and see if that makes a difference. I expected maybe a bit of a raise from the new springs. I should've measured center to fender prior to the install to have a measurable comparison. That said, I don't want to raise the front end any more than it already is!

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 19 Sep 2017, 15:02

Slow build is still slow. I'm feeling the need to make some repairs on something a little more visible. I'm getting an estimate on a repair of the collision damage on the front passenger side. I have all of the parts required to repair, just not know how (mainly, paint and matching the existing). I have some rust in the rear quarters, too. I'd also like to start working on the interior. While I'm happy with the difference the mechanical updates have made, the ripped seats, nasty dash pad, etc, etc are getting a little annoying to look at (and sit on) day in and day out. As mentioned in a different thread, I'm hoping to stay with the parchment/comfortweave fabric. My budget may say otherwise.

My hopeful completion for 2017: new rear leaf springs, floor patched, accident damage repaired. Once that's done, I'll probably move towards interior, and start on the drivetrain. The completion of bodywork will be last, which ultimately includes a color change. The laundry list of what it needs is long, but I'm still enjoying the car.