New member from So. Oregon..

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Re: New member from So. Oregon..

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 11 Dec 2013, 00:41

It's definitely needs a clean up.... Been sitting in the back of an auto body shop for 20 years and has the paint and filler dust to prove it.....
The good...
Power windows... Leather interior... Tilt away steering... Air... 351 4V
The bad
There are a couple of spots of rust... One at the corner of the right quarter panel (the spot where they all seem to get a little) and under the vinyl top at the bottom of the rear window.... Nothing extreme... The top needs replacement anyways so I will pull the glass and fix those spots without any problems..

First thing I need to do though is get my 87 CSX painted and sold.... It is taking up my spot for the Cougar to be worked on...

Brian

Tweeder
Registered Member

Post by Tweeder » 11 Dec 2013, 09:46

Brian-1969Cougar wrote:
First thing I need to do though is get my 87 CSX painted and sold.... It is taking up my spot for the Cougar to be worked on...

Brian
Been there; after I picked up mine, I had to sell my Jeep Wrangler to make the space, and gather some dough for my build..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
1967 Base.
Mods-getting supercharged 427 Stroker 1000+hp.
AOD transmission.
Ford 9 inch 3.70 ratio, Detroit Locker.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 11 Dec 2013, 11:04

Brian-1969Cougar wrote:Well, I decided that my cars are way too far gone for me to handle.... Just too much needed for either of them to be put back on the road without spending way more money than what they would ever be worth.... So, I bid on a complete 1969 XR7 in California on E-Bay and won.... At least this car has everything there and the body is straight ready for paint.... I think I can get it back on the road for less than 5K.... At least I have two other cars to rob any parts off of that I might need...

I'll get the vin numbers once I pick up the car next week...

Brian..
I think you will be very happy you did that. If you need to liquidate some parts and parts cars keep us in mind. You could trailer them up one at a time and come away with all the new parts needed to dial in the vert.

Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 11 Dec 2013, 12:10

Don Rush wrote:
Brian-1969Cougar wrote:Well, I decided that my cars are way too far gone for me to handle.... Just too much needed for either of them to be put back on the road without spending way more money than what they would ever be worth.... So, I bid on a complete 1969 XR7 in California on E-Bay and won.... At least this car has everything there and the body is straight ready for paint.... I think I can get it back on the road for less than 5K.... At least I have two other cars to rob any parts off of that I might need...

I'll get the vin numbers once I pick up the car next week...

Brian..
I think you will be very happy you did that. If you need to liquidate some parts and parts cars keep us in mind. You could trailer them up one at a time and come away with all the new parts needed to dial in the vert.
Don....

Was going to contact you about doing something like that... Going to have to wait until Sumer though..... I vowed to myself to never tow a car trailer in snowy weather again...

This was on the way out.... All 4 tires chained up on the Tundra...

Brian

Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 11 Dec 2013, 17:50

Got the car unloaded and stored under a wing...,

Here is a shop of all the stuff in the trunk...

Here is the one bad rust spot.... Going to hit it with rust converter to stop any progression since I won't be able to get to fixing it until the CSX is gone...

Brian...

Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 14 Mar 2014, 21:15

Took a little time today to remove the vinyl top and clean out some of the car....

Some of the emblems from the trunk..... Top one is not correct... Not sure where the light came from either...

Found a pair of bumper guards in the trunk...

Typical rust in the trunk near the body plugs... Tank looks new...

Three wire hub caps... One is in bad shape, other two are nice... I will sell these if anyone is interested...

Brian

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 14 Mar 2014, 23:44

Looks like the rear license plate lamp - it should bolt to the back bumper above the plate.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 14 Mar 2014, 23:51

That makes sence.... I bought the car with no bumpers and it's been years since I have removed any from my other cars... At least I have plenty to choose from...

I'm thinking of putting the caps on E-Pay... I have no use for them...

Brian

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 15 Mar 2014, 20:36

The light is for the license plate and the top COUGAR emblem is correct for your car, it goes on the left front fender extension. The other two COUGAR emblems go on the rear quarter panels.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Brian-1969Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Brian-1969Cougar » 27 Feb 2015, 01:27

Fast forward over a year later......

Amazing how much time passes with, well.... Nothing done... !!

I cleaned out all the junk from the trunk and interior... Removed the back seat and vacuumed... That is as far as I got... Told the wife the other day that I am taking at least 3 weekends a month to work on the car... I'm getting tired of looking at it sitting there in the shop,and not having it running...

Got a couple questions though....

The seats have Bondo dust still on them from the body shop it was in.... I vacuumed up most of it but some of it is caked on pretty good... It's a Leather interior car and I want to save as much of it as I can... How should I go about cleaning it..?? I will be removing the seats to do it.. Already have the rear out and door panels were off when I got the car.. Warm water and a rag and rinse..?? What should I use to protect the material after.. Should I get some type of conditioner for the old leather..??

As you can see... I have never had to clean this dirty of an interior before... Usually just a vacuum and wipe down with a damp cloth is all I have done in the past with my other cars...

Thanks..

Brian