'69 Interior Project - Some Progress

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
snafu
Registered Member

Re: '69 Interior Project - Some Progress

Post by snafu » 13 Jun 2012, 15:07

Yes, I sprayed it with SEM dye. I agree, much easier than replacing the headliner (which was the backup plan if the dye didn't work).

I masked around the edges and used large plastic drop sheets to cover everything. The front and sides of the headliner are covered by the molding and windlace so that wasn't too tricky. I put pencils in the rear window gasket so the paint could get behind it, then masked off the gasket so it didn't get painted.

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 14 Jun 2012, 07:32

I'm working on the rear interior panels now. I drilled holes to stop the cracks from progressing and added a little fiberglass behind the problem areas.

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 14 Oct 2013, 07:58

I haven't been doing a whole lot, but I'm making a little progress here and there.

Here's the dash and door panels back in the car. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but after drving around with it like this for awhile, I think it will stay.

My upholstery guy is still working on the seats, but here's a preview.

He's also doing the rear panels to match my door panels.

I also finished my antenna switch. I used a reproduction window switch and just swapped over the XR7 switch face. My wiring job isn't too pretty, but it works good. Unfortunately, I can't mount the antenna in the stock location like I planned. The pointy section on the front of the door occupies that space when the door is opened, so I will have to put a hole in the rear fender as soon as I work up the courage.

New opentracker control arms and idler arm. My car doesn't squeak any more and both front wheels are always pointed in the same direction now. I also had to put in a rebuilt master cylinder and brake booster recently. These cars drive pretty nice when everything is working right.

And I made a headlight door without a badge.

jcbingcougar
Registered Member

Post by jcbingcougar » 14 Oct 2013, 08:05

It's coming together nicely, Dave. The door panels look much better than I thought they would. Did you also use the Open Tracker roller spring perches?
Jeff Bingaman
1970 Cougar
1956 Ford F100
1960 Dodge Phoenix
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2017 F150 Platinum

http://www.cascadecougarclub.com

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 14 Oct 2013, 08:22

No, I didn't replace the spring perches. And I used their standard control arms - not the roller version.

Opentracker has some nice stuff, but I don't drive this car enough to justify it. Maybe someday.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 14 Oct 2013, 08:48

snafu wrote:No, I didn't replace the spring perches. And I used their standard control arms - not the roller version.

Opentracker has some nice stuff, but I don't drive this car enough to justify it. Maybe someday.
I got the roller perches for $175 as I recall. I like them a lot.
Last edited by 1969XR7Vert on 14 Oct 2013, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 14 Oct 2013, 08:55

Interior looks really nice! I think your Burlwood is nicer, richer, more real looking than original. Speaking of original, those are Mustang door panels I assume? I thought I saw and asked about this before but don't see anything on that from me in this thread. Maybe you posted on MCnet too and I asked there? Anyway, I like the "Cougarized" treatment you have done on the door panels a lot. :beerchug:
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 14 Oct 2013, 14:40

Thanks Bob. You are correct, the door panels are '69 Mach I/Grande. The emblems are from a '71 or '72 Cougar I think.

snafu
Registered Member

Post by snafu » 17 Aug 2016, 08:48

Sorry about the missing pictures but something happened with the site that was hosting them.

Anyway I'm at it again. I started fixing some issues with my paint and decided to just do the whole thing and change the color while I'm at it. I'm sanding everything back down to primer from the last repaint and fixing some things along the way.

Filled the antenna hole in the fender. Its going in back on the driver's side.

And the holes for the hood scoop went away. Its not going back on but I have something else in mind.

Patched the bottom of the driver's door with a mustang piece. The size is correct but the contour is different so this isn't ideal but I think it will be OK.

I wanted to add an ashtray gauge pod but it wasn't fitting at all in my car and would have interfered with the heater controls. To get it lower, I'm integrated it into the console insert more like the Shelby gauges.

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy » 17 Aug 2016, 10:45

Ah the old "while I'm at it" affliction. Nasty stuff without a known cure.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black