1968 XR7-G Hertz Restoration

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: 1968 XR7-G Hertz Restoration

Post by CATHOUSE » 27 Nov 2013, 09:51

I bought a special tool for the springs from either Matco or Snap-On, I forget which now. It makes working with the springs a pretty easy job.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Hi Randy, How about a picture of that special spring tool?[/quote]

I do not have a photo of the tool on my computer. I'll take one for you but I will need an email address to send it to as I have not yet learned how to post a photo directly onto a post. To give you a little idea of what the tool looks like it starts with a handle like a screwdriver. A round shaft comes out of the handle for a few inches. The shaft then makes a 90 degree turn and continues for a few more inches. It ends in a hook which is used to hook onto the spring. You pull up on the handle stretching the spring and then pop the end of the spring into the slot in the headlight ring.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 27 Nov 2013, 10:12

So until we have a picture of the special tool for this purpose I'll post my how to do it easy without special tools instructions here. Hopefully you agree with me that this is as easy as I think it is. If you are just replacing the bulb, simply drop step 1 and 2

60 Park Lane convertible, 66 Park Lane convertible, 67 S-55 convertible, 68 Park Lane Woody convertible, 68 XR7-G Hertz, 69 Eliminator, 78 Grand Marquis coupe.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 27 Nov 2013, 11:26

Use right hand to hold headlight assembly in place. Use left hand to take photo. Use other hand to hold pliers. Wait... LOL! Great job Gry thanks! I can see my problem as I was installing the bucket first. And I only have two hands. LOL!
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 27 Nov 2013, 12:40

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 27 Nov 2013, 12:47

I like the T-shaped tool much better, it is naturally shaped for the hand to pull unlike the screwdriver handle type. Cheap too!: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905 ... pring-Tool
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 27 Nov 2013, 13:55

1969XR7Vert wrote:
I like the T-shaped tool much better, it is naturally shaped for the hand to pull unlike the screwdriver handle type. Cheap too!: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905 ... pring-Tool

I have a similar tool that came with the kids trampoline for installing the springs on it, and I'd have to agree, works great. Does fantastic for hood-hinge spring removal/install, as well.
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 27 Nov 2013, 15:34

Great info on the tools you can buy. I've never seen any of those around here, but then I have not been looking too hard really.
60 Park Lane convertible, 66 Park Lane convertible, 67 S-55 convertible, 68 Park Lane Woody convertible, 68 XR7-G Hertz, 69 Eliminator, 78 Grand Marquis coupe.

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 27 Nov 2013, 16:34

BTW, while am in the mode for evaluating reproduction parts, lets take a look at the rocker panel molding clip. When you buy a set of rocker panel moldings you will either get a set of mounting clips included with the set or some sellers sell these separate in kits. My experience with the clips that comes with most moldings is that they are a big joke. The plastic end clip with the screw are just so badly made that those I don't even care to evaluate, they went right in my garbage can and I made new ones myself in aluminum. Then I looked at the rest and thought they looked OK and put them on my car with the pop rivets included in the kit. So far so good... Or maybe not. Putting on the rocker panel moldings did not give the feeling that they were sitting as they should, and right, when I closed the door the molding fell off (that was before I had put on the end clip nuts) Tried again, but it was just like the moldings did not snap correctly on the clips and they were just way to easy to pull off again. So I started to inspect the reproduction clip closely and then compared it to the original clip. The first obvious difference I noticed was that the reproduction clip was molded in a softer plastic material than the original clip. Then I also noticed a very small lip or edge sticking out on the top and the bottom of the original clip that was not there on the new one. Alright, I tried the old one in my rocker molding, and yes, it snapped in place and held good when I tried to pull it out just because of these small lips. Then tried the same for the reproduction clip and it failed totally the test. So then I had to do some research to see if there are other suppliers of these rocker molding clips out there, and luckily there is. I ordered a set from Class-Tech-Cars http://class-tech-cars.com/ and they seems to be made out of a more correct nylon and they also have the lip needed to hold the moldings in place. Of course they are not perfect either as they are a tad too wide, but I found it very easy to widen up the moldings to fit the clip perfectly.

Here are a couple of pictures that I hope will show the difference. From the left is the common reproduction clip that comes with the moldings, the center clip is the original and the one to the right is the clip from Class-Tech-Cars. The lower picture will hopefully show the edge or lip on #2 and #3 while it is not there at all on #1.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 27 Nov 2013, 19:06

XR7-Gry wrote:So until we have a picture of the special tool for this purpose I'll post my how to do it easy without special tools instructions here. Hopefully you agree with me that this is as easy as I think it is. If you are just replacing the bulb, simply drop step 1 and 2

Here is a picture of the T handle headlight tool I made a couple of years ago so I could change out my headlight bulbs.
I used a piece of stainless welding rod. I just bent and twisted the rod to get the correct shape as seen in the picture. I was scared that if I did it without something like this I'd break the headlight trim ring. My install was on the car with the headlight door in place so I could'nt get a good grip on the spring with a needle nose pliers.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 28 Nov 2013, 03:42

Good point Steven. I don't think I've ever replaced a bulb on a Cougar with the grille and headlamp door in place, so that is of course a big difference and then the tool is crucial.