1968 XR7-G Hertz Restoration

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: 1968 XR7-G Hertz Restoration

Post by CATHOUSE » 26 Nov 2013, 09:09

xr7g428 wrote:Coming soon, reinstalling the headlight lamps, I hate those springs.
I bought a special tool for the springs from either Matco or Snap-On, I forget which now. It makes working with the springs a pretty easy job.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 26 Nov 2013, 10:24

I knew there had to be a better way. I primarily rely on large amounts of creative profanity to get the job done.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

cougar2
Registered Member

Post by cougar2 » 26 Nov 2013, 13:29

CATHOUSE wrote:
xr7g428 wrote:Coming soon, reinstalling the headlight lamps, I hate those springs.
I bought a special tool for the springs from either Matco or Snap-On, I forget which now. It makes working with the springs a pretty easy job.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Hi Randy, How about a picture of that special spring tool?

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 26 Nov 2013, 16:44

Me too have a nice special tool for the spring installation. That's a 3 feet electric wire. Install the spring in the lower bracket, then hook the spring to the wire and just pull the spring in place. Takes about 20 seconds each spring. With spring in place just pull out the wire. :clap:

60 Park Lane convertible, 66 Park Lane convertible, 67 S-55 convertible, 68 Park Lane Woody convertible, 68 XR7-G Hertz, 69 Eliminator, 78 Grand Marquis coupe.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 26 Nov 2013, 17:04

That is a great tip for doing the door springs, but I was referring to the springs that hold the head light retaining rings in place. Maybe this technique might work there as well. I have been some sort of knitting needle type thing (swiped it from my dear departed Mom... ) with a hook in the end to catch the spring. I bent it into a loop on the other end, but it still is very hard to use. The last time I used it the hook failed and I think I may have tossed it since then.

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 26 Nov 2013, 17:51

OK, but the spring on the headlights are even easier if you do it right. When installing the lamps just start with the spring and the trim ring. Hook on the spring, install the headlight bucket and then put the lamp in. While holding everything in place pull the spring out with a plier and and the trim ring should go in place. Hold it there while you install the screws and you are done.
Last edited by XR7-Gry on 27 Nov 2013, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
60 Park Lane convertible, 66 Park Lane convertible, 67 S-55 convertible, 68 Park Lane Woody convertible, 68 XR7-G Hertz, 69 Eliminator, 78 Grand Marquis coupe.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 26 Nov 2013, 18:11

I got caught up on your thread today, loved the digging for sunroof parts in your Mothers garden! Who does that! Really after 31 years you were able to excavate usable parts? As for D&R chrome, funny story, we would get a good batch from our platers and the next time spotty... I started looking close at the good batch and noticed a DR stamped on the back of each one. My plater said "OH... That stands for Don Rush, so we keep your bumpers separate". Some calling around and D&R acknowledged that they do in fact do some plating for other companies in the area...

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 26 Nov 2013, 21:52

When you get to the head lamp install phase, if you have the time, can you shoot a few pics and give us a lesson. I think this might be like installing the trunk lock: super easy if you know the secret, nearly impossible if you don't. Clearly, I don't know the secret on this process.

I also have to ask, were any of my reproduction parts problem children?

XR7-Gry
Registered Member

Post by XR7-Gry » 27 Nov 2013, 02:16

Bill, you can rest assured your reproduction Desert Classic Parts are all excellent quality and way better than any NOS parts a Cougar owner will ever find. If only people who reproduce parts could care as much about their products as you do we would not have to worry about how they will fit. Regarding the reproduction parts that does not fit or look right, time after time I hear people blame the Chinese or Taiwan factories for these. In my opinion they are NOT the problem. The problem is sloppy quality control. When someone like Scott Drake make a batch of interior door handles and the one for the passenger door fits OK but the driver door handle just can't be put on level because the splines where you mount it are casted in wrong position, that did not happen because it was impossible to make them 100% correct. In my opinion that's a result of someone at Scott Drake not doing their job and accepted them this way from the factory. I am sure they very soon knew about the problem, but then they already had paid the manufacturer for the 3000 door handles and decided they have to be sold to reduce their loss before they can eventually get the mold corrected. And then the customers get all the irritation and trouble.

Oh well.... I have already installed my lights in the grille and have no pictures of it as I needed both my hands to do this. Anyway, I will see if I can make a video showing exactly how I do it.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 27 Nov 2013, 09:41

Gry I am happy that you had good luck with the products I have developed, and I do think you are right in that quality has little to do with where the parts are made, and a lot to do with the effort that goes into them. If there ever is a problem I do want to hear it as that is how things get better. In a couple of instances I have made minor changes to try to fix problems that I have encountered that make the reproduction slightly different (hopefully better) from the original. So far I have heard nothing about it, but you never know.

On the door handles, I think I may have discovered something. It turns out that the outside shape of the door handle was the same for several different vehicles, but the back side of the handle was slightly different to match up with differences in the shape of the sheet metal where it attached. For example a handle that fits a Falcon looks the same as the one used on the Econoline van that was also called a Falcon, but the shape that matches the sheet metal are different, depending on the year. It looks like they started creating a slight impression in the sheet metal to allow them to use the same door handle casting as time went on. I am not making excuses for Scott Drake. They need to know what they are making, and what it fits. I guess my point is that it is harder than it looks to get stuff really right.