Detroit area 1969 base convertible restomod

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
wawazat
Registered Member

Detroit area 1969 base convertible restomod

Post by wawazat »

I started my thread in the main forum area though I think this is better placed here. For background I'm working on a 1969 base convertible that I bought from the PO in Utah in April 2016. Plan is a solid stable robust driver that can handle anything I ask of it from road trips to autocross to cruises to local car shows. Here is the build thread so far:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7487

I'm now working on installing the TKO-600 and Kevko deep sump pan. I received some parts today though still need to determine clutch I'm going to use.
1969 Cougar convertible restomod

wawazat
Registered Member

Re: Detroit area 1969 base convertible restomod

Post by wawazat »

Alright all settled in here now.

I pulled the transmission after setting up my engine support. To do so I had to remove the hood and pull the valve covers which was OK as the fasteners were crappy and they always had strange oil seepage issues. More on that later.
These fasteners were installed by the PO without washers. I’ve been looking for a better alternative and just found them at Speedway Motors.
I pulled the tail shaft housing to reduce the weight a bit
Then the trans
Now a no speed flying Cougar

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

Tonight the starter and bell housing come out then the clutch.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

The valve covers are cast aluminum with walking cat. They always had an oily surface around the cat which I thought was odd. When I removed the covers to prevent damage when supporting the back of the engine to pull the trans I saw that the chrome cats were attached via rivets through the covers. The cats had a slight rattle and the rivets heads were not mushroomed down very much hence my oil seepage. I scrubbed the inside and outside of the covers then coated the extended bodies of the rivets with gasket shellac. It took a few days to harden up but has stopped the cats from moving and I hope will address the oil seepage when I reinstall them.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

I spoke with the group I bought the trans from a they strongly recommended Ram Clutch. I have been considering an aluminum flywheel and discussed clutches and flywheels with their tech line today. Ordered a 14 lb aluminum flywheel and clutch today. I also picked up a bunch of other bits such as pilot bearing, exhaust gaskets, rear main seal and oil pan bolts to install the new Kevko deep pan. Parts due in Saturday so I'm going to drain the oil tonight in prep for dropping the pan.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

The parking brake pedal in my car got wonky shortly after I purchased it. The ratcheting mechanism stopped working. It’s not a big deal in flat SE Michigan but it was something I wanted to fix at some time. Ray posted about the crusty 1970 he was tearing apart and I sent him a note. He’s local to me so we agreed to a swap of ATF for the assembly. I rounded up a variety pack from my garage and drove out to meet him. What a great guy with an amazing collection of Ford hi-PO vehicles! I saw a lot of FE power that day.

Here was the part Ray pulled from the crusty car

The pedal worked fine but was a bit rusty. I no longer have my blast cabinet to clean it up so I decided to try chemical cleaning with a rust removal product. I ordered some Evaporust and dropped it in a plastic tub for a soak. I was amazed at the results but hadn’t bought enough to fully clean the part. I the bought a similar product form Home Depot that was cheaper but less effective. Here is the part as removed from the second soaking. Total time in the products was about 2 days.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

Pulled the bellhousing, pressure plate and flywheel then the oil pan and oil pump. I had to drop the anti-sway bar mounts to lower the bar to pull the pan. I removed the pilot bearing by packing the cavity behind the bearing with bread and then placed a drift in the hole and kept packing it until the bearing was pushed out of the hole. Tonight I’ll install the new pilot and get the new extended pick-up on the pump and reinstall it. I scrubbed the block plate and will clean it up as it has some burrs and bent sections. Tomorrow I’ll install the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate as I got the fasteners today. My rear main seal isn’t leaking it was the oil pan at both the front and rear curved portions of the pan. I’ve wiped up the old oil but want to clean it with brake cleaner and scraper before put on the gaskets.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

Picture bomb for you all.

New Kevko deep oil pan. Cheap chrome one going up for sale.

Drivetrain dismantling

New bits

I found a good deal on a Ford Racing billet flywheel as a Plan B should the lightweight Ram aluminum flywheel not work as expected
New speedometer driven gear, flywheel bolts, exhaust gaskets, oil pan bolts and gasket, and rear main seal which I thought was leaking. On tear down it appeared the leak was from the oil pan both front and rear. I’ve decided not to replace the rear main seal at this time.

Redmanf1
Registered Member

Post by Redmanf1 »

Look like some well deserved parts.

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat »

The previous owner had different goals for the car than I do. I can respect that direction but it’s just not what I would do.
I installed he oil pump and checked clearance to pan. Test fitting the pan required me to fully remove the front anti-sway bar and drop the rack. I cleaned and degreased the pan mounting areas on the block and the pan and applied the sealant. With the end gaskets having notches to fit with the rail gaskets these should have been installed on the block first not the pan. Live and learn. Made the changes and I installed the pan. Got the rack back in place and torqued it down then reinstalled the anti-sway bar. Done for the night.