68 standard, restromod driver?

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
DieselD
Registered Member

Re: 68 standard, restromod driver?

Post by DieselD » 18 Jun 2018, 18:16

I was able to spend some quality time in the garage with the old lady for fathers day! Gotta thank my wife for keeping the kids occupied for the day so I could get some good wrench time.

Got a bunch of tedious stuff like all the wiring at the rear of the car back in, rear quarter windows installed. more sound deadening, some things put back in the doors, and start the head liner install. I simply got it on the bows and hung up roughly to try and let the winkles to start and work out. Ill come back later and start stretching but Im dreading it! It seems like the rear is going to really suck to get to look right. Also getting all the old dried up crusty glue off was not fun! Progress but nothing drastic that really "feels" like progress but its all the small things coming together that complete a project!

1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 18 Jun 2018, 19:54

That looks really familiar. I just did the same thing a couple of months ago and would agree that the rear area is the trickiest. I still need to finish the area around the package tray. One suggestion would be to make sure you put all of the hardware back in place (such as sun visor screws and seat belt holders) so you don't have to guess on where to punch holes in it. I bought a gross (144) of the medium sized clips like you've got in order to hold things in place. If you end up with gaps between the clips then there will probably be areas where the headliner doesn't stick to the inside of the sheetmetal seams as well. Good luck!
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 18 Jun 2018, 23:04

Glad I could provide a flash back for ya! I wanted to get started on the headliner since so much revolves around it being installed Almost ready for windows but can’t adjust anything until the upper trim is in but gotta have the headliner in first before that happens etc
I do need to track down the visor hardware to get stuck in the holes before gluing. Also good point on more clips to the point of no space in between, I knew I would be short so plan to buy more. Also unsure if I want to run the shoulder belts and clips. Thinking of just sticking with lap belts but undecided.

The nice thing is I can bring a lot of parts into to work to clean up and prep for install before I get to work on the car itself. This at least allows me to keep working on it and have a stash of parts ready to go back on the car when I get a chance to work on it.

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 11 Jan 2019, 15:07

Been a little bit since Ive updated, work has been progressing slowly with getting all the wiring routed and hooked up along with repairing a couple small areas of the harness. For the most part everything is hooked up and working as it should. Heater box is cleaned up with new heater core and gaskets so that needs to be installed once Im done with the under dash insulation and firewall pad.

Seems like getting the turn signals to flash is always a big step with these things so thats a step in the right direction. I will convert to solid state soon but for now the old unit is working fine.

I kept dreading the headliner install and keep moving on to other things to keep the ball rolling. Last weekend I took another look at the headliner and just had one of those feelings like I would not be able to make it look right. I could probably get it done but how many headliners would I screw up in the process of learning how to do it right? I got hooked up with a good local guy that made it impossible to try and waste time doing it myself. Now I can move on to windows, other trim and finally the dash pad and dash assembly.

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 11 Jan 2019, 15:30

Looks like it came out really good! Yeah getting headliner done is a big step since it holds you up from doing the glass.
-Mike

1968 Cougar Standard, 302 4V, auto, Madras Blue