What do I need to do?

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: What do I need to do?

Post by Steve68Cougar » 25 Feb 2018, 09:43

That looks similar to what mine did, and I ended up replacing the torque box (actually, both of them). I'm very much an amateur, but I did it myself. I didn't have a show car before, and I don't have one now. Anyway, along with the torque box, you will very likely have to do repair to the firewall, outer frame rails and inner frame rails. I just cut out rust spots and replaced minimal sheetmetal rather than taking everything out. I measured everything beforehand and was careful to make sure things didn't move around. There was quite a bit of grinder time getting everything out. I got one of the reproduction torque boxes that is spot welded together. They aren't ideal, as you end up having to do something to them in order to get them in the correct position. There is a flange on the inner rail that it is supposed to sit on top of, and there was no way to get it there without some work. Some people just put it below the flange and call it a day. I've heard of people cutting them apart and rewelding them together once everything's in place (which I ended up having to do additionally on the passenger side because of a poor fit otherwise). I cut some notches in it where the flange is and bent the interfering area out of the way until it was in place. Afterwards I bent it back into place and welded everything back together. It seemed to work pretty well. Overall, the project was pretty involved. If I was planning on having a concourse show car or had a rare car I was concerned about value with I would have had someone else do it. One other thing I'll mention is that the reproduction floor pans I got (Spectre?) were not 100% correct as far as ribbing goes. I just cut out bad areas and patched in new pieces where necessary, so I had to be a little careful to get ribbing to line up.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

fishboy
Registered Member

Post by fishboy » 25 Feb 2018, 15:04

Thank you for the detailed response. I did purchase a new Mig welder recently so I will just have to start cutting and welding.
1967 Cougar Standard, 4sp, early production
1966 Ford Galaxie fastback, 390
2008 BMW Dinan M5, 630 hp
2002 Ford F-250 Super duty, crew cab
2001 Ford F-150, Waldoch conversion
2013 GMC Denali XL
2014 Roush F-150, 570 hp

howcanea

Post by howcanea » 17 Mar 2018, 02:07

His name is Mitch Rumer he is in Rockford Il 815-399-4847 PhenQ Review

thad.rosenberger
Registered Member

Post by thad.rosenberger » 06 Apr 2018, 16:22

Similar to Steve68Cougar I'm a beginner and replaced both of the torque boxes on my 68. When I did mine I cut out ALL of the old boxes one of which (passenger side) was fairly easy because the rust had done most of the job for me. The driver side on the other hand was much more difficult because, like yours, the road side steel was still in pretty good shape making it difficult to cut.

There are factory spot welds connecting the floorboards on both sides to the top of the torque boxes. You will have to remove the sound deadener from the floor pan to identify where the spot welds are so you can drill them out. I had to replace the passenger side floor pan but was able to salvage the driver side pan.

When you purchase replacement boxes purchase the ones that are NOT spot welded together. The ones I got came in three pieces (upper, lower and gusset support). The job would have been much more difficult if I used the boxes that were already spot welded together. If you do use the type that is not spot welded together just take some time test fitting the upper and lower portions BEFORE you start welding.

I also suggest you completely cut out the old so that you can be comfortable knowing you have all new steel when you are finished.

I took me about one day to the passenger side and about a half a day to do the driver side. My passenger side was in pretty bad shape and having to do the floor pan took a lot more time.

Taking a bunch of pictures and measurements BEFORE you start cutting will also help.