Trouble matching original paint

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
67429merc
Registered Member

Re: Trouble matching original paint

Post by 67429merc » 19 Dec 2017, 10:10

Im not sure most people realize that when these cars were painted 50 years ago! They ended different shades from the factory!! I have heard comments about paint shades at car shows being wrong? So the correct shade on car 1,may not be the correct shade on car 2? So if a paint manufacture is trying to match car 1 and you own car 2?? And base/clear always looks different than single stage on metalics. And the problems stills exists on modern cars . I pulled a color up for a 2017 and it had 9 variations!! As far as tinting and matching ?? I think that some painters can and some can't! A second set of eyes might be needed?
67 standard(my first car) 428 4 speed
68 xr7
69 eliminator
70 eliminator
65 f100
70 mustang convertible
67 vw convertible

69428SCJ
Registered Member

Post by 69428SCJ » 19 Dec 2017, 18:06

67429merc wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:10
Im not sure most people realize that when these cars were painted 50 years ago! They ended different shades from the factory!!
I know what the factory produced back then is not what we would consider "quality" today, but it smells fishy to me that the QC over the pigment mixtures were poor enough to produce variations of the color.
And base/clear always looks different than single stage on metalics.

I think that does without saying, I have chosen to go with single stage for economical reasons and to lessen the matching issues.
And the problems stills exists on modern cars . I pulled a color up for a 2017 and it had 9 variations!! As far as tinting and matching ?? I think that some painters can and some can't! A second set of eyes might be needed?
Was it 9 variations of the same paint code/name, or were they different altogether? I had to match a red on another car of mine, and had to go through 40 different shades from all different manufacturers to get it correct. So far the restorer and his painter have looked at all the cards, my father (the original owner) has looked at them, and I'll be looking at them next week too. I hope to get this resolved sooner than later.

67429merc
Registered Member

Post by 67429merc » 20 Dec 2017, 14:10

Yes ,9 variations of the same code. There are many more factors than QC! The first time I went to paint school there were 12 x12 painted pieces of metal hung up next to the ceiling of the class room. They were all painted light blue metallic. But they started light and got darker as you looked around the room. He stated that they were painted by the last class and all of the paint used came from the same gallon! So we learned about all of the variables that will change the color. The first and the last spray out didn't look even close!! Some colors are tougher than others ,for me anyway!!
67 standard(my first car) 428 4 speed
68 xr7
69 eliminator
70 eliminator
65 f100
70 mustang convertible
67 vw convertible

69428SCJ
Registered Member

Post by 69428SCJ » 20 Dec 2017, 17:51

I'm not a body/paint guy, so I might be talking out my butt here, but I was under the impression that humidity/base coat/nozzle pressure/application thickness/surface material affected metallics moreso than solid colors. A great example I can think of is the beige color on mid-90s Camrys. Seems the bumper is always a lighter shade than the metal.

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 20 Dec 2017, 18:18

Another thing that can effect top coat color is the color of primer used. I know a real nice Cougar that the doors are slightly off from the rest of it because the painter ran out of the supplied primer and used some he had around that was not the same color as what had been given him. Maybe that person will chime in on this too.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -