Radio antenna removal and hole repair

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
Diamondbill68
Registered Member

Radio antenna removal and hole repair

Post by Diamondbill68 » 09 Nov 2018, 22:36

So I need advice in a few areas so I will list them.
The radio doesn't work, it doesn't get any reception.You can here the static sound but no actual audio. I am thinking about modernizing the sound system but
I want to maintain the original aspects of the car, especially for resale purposes next year.
I will decide after your suggestions.
Based on the decision I am contemplating filling the vacant hole left by the removal of the antenna.
How is this done? I don't weld and have never done anybody work. I am however patient and a quick learner.

Thx for your patience, things are moving along with my 68 due to the great advice and assistance of fellow Cougarites 😉👍

Cheers Bill
Bill ( A proud Canadian Cougar owner)
1968 Standard Cougar 289 Cardinal Red
1976 Austin Mini Cooper
1998 Mercedes 650 SL V12
1985 Lincoln Town Car
1981 Corvette
" I may not be the man I want to be but at least I'm not the man I used to be"

catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Radio antenna removal and hole repair

Post by catlover » 10 Nov 2018, 08:07

If you are going to modernize the sound system, you are going to need an antenna of some type so why not use the the hole you already have and use a power or hidden antenna.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 10 Nov 2018, 12:32

Unless you are planning to fill the antennae hole through welding and bodywork, then painting the area, or the entire car, I would just leave the antennae (regular stock style, or flush mount) in the hole. There are hidden antennas available for sale if you decide to go that way.
As far as modernizing the radio, but keeping the original exterior there are a few companies around the continent that specialize in doing just that. The mod usually can get you modernized innards with better AM/FM (or the addition of FM on an original AM only radio), plus the ability to plug in an external music source (iPod, cell phone, sat radio, etc.).
Depending on where you are in Canada, there may be a place that can do it near you. There is a guy near Vancouver that does the modification.
Last edited by fordnutz on 12 Nov 2018, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

Sir Ed
Registered Member

Post by Sir Ed » 10 Nov 2018, 19:56

I need to replace the antenna on mine as well.

I prefer just getting in driving and enjoying the sound of the engine and the road.

I know the radio turns on but thats about it at the moment!
1967 Standard, 289 4 barrel

Czechmate68
Registered Member

Post by Czechmate68 » 12 Nov 2018, 00:43

I recently pulled mine out as I had to remove the fenders. I don't even know if it works.
I have to imagine that there would be a new pet antenna that would work and maybe require a slight mod on installing it. What do all the Mustang guys use?
How can I text my old one and is there someone out there that rebuilds or refurbished them?
Thanks,

Brian