XR7-G Prototypes

There were only 619 XR7-Gs built. They were built along side the Shelby Mustang, and were available with every engine and transmission offered in 1968, (except the 427). This was the first Cougar to be a part of the Hertz Rent a Racer program. If you have any information about these rare cats, this is the place to share. The XR7-G registry is maintained by Royce Peterson.
BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: XR7-G Prototypes

Post by BossElim69 » 06 Aug 2012, 12:09

I asked him about the lanyards I think it was my first question. His take was they most likely started out with the flat end lanyards and switched to the swivel end to make it common with the Shelby. He said most likely a vendor change as well could have changed to the different design. Hopefully one of the other A.O.Smith contacts can give more information on this.
He said most of the Radar wheels had the bolt paddern off just enough so they wouldn't install on the wheel studs. In order to get the Cougars out the door back to Ford the line workers were using rubber mallets and beating the wheels on to the wheel studs to get them installed. He said that was putting a lot of stress on the center section of the wheel so as soon as the Cougar was driven and the wheel was side loaded the stress cracks would start. They were forced by Ford to use the Radar wheels and get the Cougars shipped out.

I asked if the Cougars were mixed in with the Shelby Mustangs going down the line. He said no. They were built in batches as that's how they arrived on rail cars from Dearborn. A seperate area was setup to do the sun roof. He said he didn't remember ever sending the G's to ASC for the sun roof to be install. He said the very first one was install at A.O.Smith with Heinz Prechter over seeing it (that's another story). The G cars didn't have all the interior installed from Ford and the last process was finishing the interior.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

Golly-G
Registered Member

Post by Golly-G » 06 Aug 2012, 12:59

Wow, great information Brian. So essentially he's saying no xr7-G's sunroofs were installed at the ASC Southgate plant and they were all done at A.O. Smith in Ionia Mi. I had thought (just me ) maybe they were installed at ASC then loaded to go to A.O. Smith after the sunroofs were installed. Now for my take on the lanyards. (hehehehe) 68 Shelbys didn't have hood pins & lanyards. From what I have read just the prototypes used the lanyards and twist down pins together, but the lanyards were removed from the table in July 1967. So to me it wouldn't make sense if they had the flat ones first then go back to the 67 style after they were already taken off the table for the Shelbys. By the way the information I got was off of coralsnakes website about prototype 68 Shelbys. Believe me I'm not arguing in any sense of the way, this is what happens to me when I get these senile rusted wheels trying to turn again. Keep up the good work, I'm diggin it.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 06 Aug 2012, 13:43

Very neat information. Thanks for clearing it up so I wasn't lost. It has been a while since I looked through the G blueprints. I don't remember seeing the 67 type steering wheel. I love this stuff so now I'll be looking again at the blueprints for these type of changes.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 06 Aug 2012, 13:48

I wouldn't read to much into what he had to say about the lanyards. He wasn't directly involved with the G and I think he was mainly applying what could have happened given what he knew from working there. He was only directly involve on some larger issues like the wheels, sunroof install and lights. A lot of his info came from looking on the draft board next to him as Lynn was working on the G. He said Lynn was a much better artist then he was, and he enjoyed sticking his nose into what lynn was doing.
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 06 Aug 2012, 16:12

I recently got copies of shipping records for XR7-G's. Of course Shelbys are much more common, so every shipment has more Mustangs than Cougars.
BossElim69 wrote:I asked him about the lanyards I think it was my first question. His take was they most likely started out with the flat end lanyards and switched to the swivel end to make it common with the Shelby. He said most likely a vendor change as well could have changed to the different design. Hopefully one of the other A.O.Smith contacts can give more information on this.
He said most of the Radar wheels had the bolt paddern off just enough so they wouldn't install on the wheel studs. In order to get the Cougars out the door back to Ford the line workers were using rubber mallets and beating the wheels on to the wheel studs to get them installed. He said that was putting a lot of stress on the center section of the wheel so as soon as the Cougar was driven and the wheel was side loaded the stress cracks would start. They were forced by Ford to use the Radar wheels and get the Cougars shipped out.

I asked if the Cougars were mixed in with the Shelby Mustangs going down the line. He said no. They were built in batches as that's how they arrived on rail cars from Dearborn. A seperate area was setup to do the sun roof. He said he didn't remember ever sending the G's to ASC for the sun roof to be install. He said the very first one was install at A.O.Smith with Heinz Prechter over seeing it (that's another story). The G cars didn't have all the interior installed from Ford and the last process was finishing the interior.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 06 Aug 2012, 16:19

This is the only type of hood pin and lanyard that I believe to be original equipment on XR7-G's. All the parts in this picture are original to the car except the paint.

Golly-G wrote:Steven, this might be opening up a can of worms, but I'll try to explain the best I can. Brian and I have been going around and around on this subject for a while now, but not really with each other. Seems depending on who you ask there are two different reports on what type lanyards were used along with xr7-G klick pins. (hood pins) One having a swivel end on one side and the other lanyard having both sides with a flat end with maybe a 30 degree angle bent into it. (guessing?)
On Bill's site here he has two of the original blue prints from A.O.Smith. One showing a swivel end and the other showing the flat bent end. My take on it is, the one for the swivel end is for location purposes for the hood pins and they just used that style for reference and not the actual style of pin & lanyard. (The pin isn't a G pin in that print either ) The other print shows the one that looks like the one that came on my car. I also have a pic of another G with the same type of lanyard as mine.
Back when I was working I used to work with engineers a lot and they said it was sort of common practice to substitute something if it's just a reference. Well, at least they said they do it, I don't know if that's common practice everywhere. On another one of Bills blue prints it has something to do with a steering wheel, but it shows a 67 steering wheel, and once again I think it was in reference to something else. I'm trying to go by memory (oh god ) on that one, I haven't been to the blueprint page in quite a while. I have talked to the guy that owns the black xr7-G they were going to give to Dan Gurney and he said he don't remember it having a swivel end on it, but he hasn't seen that car in a few years. I did show him both kinds of lanyards and he did say he believed it to be the flat bent style. But as always it's just a tough thing to prove. If anything it's me just being a hard head.
XR7-G Registrar

Golly-G
Registered Member

Post by Golly-G » 06 Aug 2012, 17:21

Royce, I know this is pretty far out there but if I can get Joe (xr7S Joe) to maybe take a picture of his lanyard off the Dan Gurney black G would this shed maybe a different light on things. Supposedly that car hasn't been altered since he has owned it. Although he did mention it was given the 1 1/2 drop in the front but that was before he took possession of it. I know it will be a long shot knowing Joe and plus he said he hasn't seen the car in a couple years, so apparently it's stuffed in a ware house somewhere. There's a car show this Sunday at the Ford World Headquarters Sunday and I was hoping to run into him. I would call him but he never got back with me the last time, so I really don't want to keep bothering him.

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 06 Aug 2012, 18:12

Well good luck with that!
Golly-G wrote:Royce, I know this is pretty far out there but if I can get Joe (xr7S Joe) to maybe take a picture of his lanyard off the Dan Gurney black G would this shed maybe a different light on things. Supposedly that car hasn't been altered since he has owned it. Although he did mention it was given the 1 1/2 drop in the front but that was before he took possession of it. I know it will be a long shot knowing Joe and plus he said he hasn't seen the car in a couple years, so apparently it's stuffed in a ware house somewhere. There's a car show this Sunday at the Ford World Headquarters Sunday and I was hoping to run into him. I would call him but he never got back with me the last time, so I really don't want to keep bothering him.
XR7-G Registrar

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 06 Aug 2012, 20:46

Royce,
do you have the shipping records from March?
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 07 Aug 2012, 06:18

propayne wrote:The story I've heard Brian is that at the start G's getting sunroofs were shipped to ASC but then it was decided it would be cheaper to install them at Smith. The needed equipment was brought to A.O. Smith and the line workers there were trained in the sunroof installation by ASC technicians.

There is humorous story told by one of the former A.O. Smith employees about the first sunroof and it going through a water test. One of the engineers decided to sit in the car during the test so he could monitor any potential leaks. After the water stopped the door opened and out came the engineer.... soaked from head to toe.

So I believe the sunroof installation was moved back to ASC.
This is how he told the first sun roof story. To set it up you got some local farm boys working at A.O.Smith that never installed a sun roof and they are taking orders on how to do it from a german (Heinz) with not the greatest english. To top it off he said Heinz had short guy attiude and liked to force his way. That didn't sit very well with the workers and they referred to him as "Captain Prechter". When he first showed up at A.O Smith he was driving and old beat up VW. He really went out on a limb to buy Golde and it was his friendship with Henry Ford II that got him the contract. After the money started comming into Golde he said Heinz would show up at A.O.Smith each time with a different car and a driver. Trying to show off to the workers he was important.
He said they crudely cut the first opening with what tools they had available. They had the hydraulic pressure set to high when they clamped on to the drip rail location with the crimpping press and just about ripped the roof right off. He didn't go into much more detail about the install and moved on to the end of the process. At that time tensions were high amoung all involveded and Heinz was insisting he will be in the Cougar as it goes thru the wash stall as his sun roof would not leak! He said they tried to talk him out of it as it was the first one they install and it didn't go as planned and tried to discourage him by reminding him there was no seat in the Cougar as the interior wasn't installed yet. He Insisted, so they got a milk create for him to sit on while it went thru the wash stall. He said they gave it a good wash down. The Cougar came out and the door opened and the floor was full of water and Heinz was soaked from head to toe.
I've never heard a bad thing said about Heinz, but his take was the workers at A.O.Smith didn't have much respect for him.
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel