This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

Post by Royce » 03 Mar 2018, 22:12

I was there, and the exact words from my mouth to the sellers was that if it were my car I would put the car on eBay and list it at 99 cents with a reserve that I could live with, then turn it loose. The sellers were absolutely adamant that this was not something that they wanted any part of. They have been hounded for decades by relatives, friends of relatives, friends of friends, and even some fairly famous and well known car collectors that we see on TV from time to time. The sellers had all the control of the decision making process here. My opinion, the car is going to a good home and the sellers were absolutely overjoyed at how things went.

Sorry you have a case of envy, best that you just get over it and try to figure out how to apologize for what you have said which is completely false and misplaced.

COUGARSHARK wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 16:17
How is it that the GTE Registrar , is the person that purchases this GTE. If theses were my parents or grandparents , or friends; I would help them get the highest price possible. I mean they were the Keepers of this Gem for 50 years.
Oh and guess what , the 50 year Cougar Anniversary is right around the corner. Go figure that. I think this car should have been put up for Auction. There are a number of people that would have paid way more for it. ** I thought we were a Cougar Community **
Does any body think something seems a little off here ?
:naughty: :liar:
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

COUGARSHARK
Registered Member

Post by COUGARSHARK » 04 Mar 2018, 08:24

Envy ? No. I'm just stirring up the pot.
Lets see what happens with the car .
Are there any Commoners on here, ( besides the self pronounced Cougar Elite ) that have an opinion.

BOSSGTE
Registered Member

Post by BOSSGTE » 04 Mar 2018, 10:15

OK, I will put my money where my mouth is. The Robies are very old, nice people in their 80s. They did not want to sell. Look at Mr Robie's face. I doubt they even have internet in their very modest home. They did not even know who they sold the car to. Listen to Mrs Robie: ---We don't want to sell it....who is buying it?--- Does that sound like they were fully informed? Don Rush would have done a classy job selling this car on Ebay with only a few pictures. Not much trouble to the Robies at all. Jim admits he offered 60K because that's was all the money he had and I can understand that---sounds like he would have paid more if he had more money! I have been a Cougar nut since 1970 when my dad bought my mother a glazier blue 1968 Cougar. My mom was crazy about that car and she looked great in it. Mrs Robie reminds me of my mother in that Cougar. I still have the first collector Cougar I purchased in 1980. I will pay 65K for the car to Jim who pays Royce for his good service and I will personally hand the Robies a certified check for 10K. In exchange I receive everything the Robies gave Jim and Royce.

fisherman74017
Registered Member

Post by fisherman74017 » 04 Mar 2018, 11:15

I am thankful that this Cougar will go to Jim and be restored to its original beauty. The restoration won’t be cheap and with good friends like Royce and others in the Cougar community to help, I know it will be on the road again some day

Congrats Jim

Charlie
Charlie B.
1967 XR7 - Cinnamon Frost / Saddle
1968 GT - Blackcherry / Dark Red (Project with my Dad)
1972 Triumph TR6 - Blue / Black

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 04 Mar 2018, 14:17

Let's make this interesting. We have at least two people that want to buy a Cardinal Red XR-7 GT-E.

I have almost the identical GT-E, XR-7, Cardinal Red, Red Interior. I bought it from the original owner. The car came from Katy Texas, then to Arizona. I have the original window sticker and owners manual. It is a running driving car with new fuel tank, lines, new brakes, pads, rotors, flex lines, booster master cylinder wheel cylinders, rear shoes and original turned drums. All belts and hoses replaces and so on. BFG Radial T/A tires. Basically all the stuff that will need to be done to the car Jim bought. Given that, it still needs to be restored.

The similarities run pretty deep. Like Jim's car, the hood and scoop have been cut out. Like Jim's car the original carb is missing (I am running the larger Cobra Jet carb). Like Jim's car, my distributor has been replaced (mine was supposed to be the correct one but the last letter is illegible so assumed to be incorrect.) I do have the original VIN stamped heads but the short block is a later factory replacement with the factory solid lifter cam, and adjustable rocker arms. The original open rear was converted to factory Traction Lok by the original owner.

Let's make this as transparent as possible. Starting bid is $75K all cash. Clear Arizona title in hand. Gentlemen shall we begin?

Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 04 Mar 2018, 14:23

Jim has been tracking and documenting these specific cars for decades. He has been busting his butt studying and doing his homework, and he got a good grade for it. We should feel lucky that he shares some of his notes with us - he doesnt have to, you know. The CCOA doesn't cut him a paycheck and the CCOA didn't purchase the GTE VINs.

As for Registrars having an inside track... well duh! Of course they will tend to learn about rare and desirable cars first - it's what they do. Just because they are Registrars does not mean they are not entitled to find and buy the car of their dreams when it comes along. They love these cars - probably a wee bit more than the average enthusiast - OF COURSE they are going to buy the cars that they love!

Now riddle me this: how many Cougars have you seen ANY of the Registrars buy to flip over the years? :think:
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

pasqualeenc
Registered Member

Post by pasqualeenc » 04 Mar 2018, 14:42

Congrats gentleman love to see some progress

CatVert68
Registered Member

Post by CatVert68 » 04 Mar 2018, 15:19

I'm one of the commoners, I guess, so here's my opinion. This thread is an example of why I'm in the process of withdrawing from car club activities.

There isn't a single person on this forum or in the larger Cougar community that would pay $1 more than necessary to buy a Cougar they want. If they got a deal, they'd brag about it to their friends and would take umbrage at any suggestion that they should have stepped aside for someone with a willingness to pay more. When someone who knows them as a "Cougar person" tells them about a car, they don't post it here for everyone to pursue until they've decided it's not for them. That's why I don't really have an issue with Jim buying this Cougar, regardless of the deal struck.

At the same time, there is clearly an elite insider group in most car clubs that has the connections, the network, the knowledge, and the resources to act on rare opportunities that the rest of us only find out about after the fact. Let's call that the "opportunity inequality" factor. It gets some folks upset because it presents the potential for insider trading. I know other respected members of this forum who belong to that elite network who have purchased cars that never became publicly available. It's good for them and, usually, good for the sellers because people like Bill, Jim, Royce, and Dave (as examples) care about their reputations within the community and don't trade those reputations for a deal. But people who don't know them and who might have been contenders to purchase the car in question see an element of unfairness and exclusion. It's especially true when the car in question is one as hard to find as an original GT-E at a relatively affordable price.

The registrars need to know who's in the market to buy. Armed with that information, I have zero reason to believe that any of the Cougar registrars would not let those prospective buyers know about cars for sale as long as they meet the sellers profile for a target buyer. The registrars have a responsibility to the sellers who choose to let them know that a car is available and need to act accordingly. In this case, that seems to be exactly what happened.

So this commoners perspective is to congratulate Jim on his purchase. It's unfortunate that anyone feels the need to publicly question his ethics or conduct when those concerns would have been better expressed privately to Jim directly. I also think the registrars need to be particularly sensitive to the advantage they enjoy and how that can be perceived by others. Knowledge is power, after all, and power has been known to corrupt.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1969 Corvette L-48 4-speed LeMans Blue over Bright Blue

COUGARSHARK
Registered Member

Post by COUGARSHARK » 04 Mar 2018, 15:44

Well said Catvert

And to you XR7G428 ,, nice car , Ill give you 60K cash

93RGTE
Registered Member

Post by 93RGTE » 04 Mar 2018, 16:18

Re. my previous post, I only skimmed the video and mistakenly thought Royce had purchased the car.
So, congratulations, Jim!
Bill: Nice car - good luck with the sale!
Gary