This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
jsv
Registered Member

Re: This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

Post by jsv » 08 Mar 2018, 10:26

I have been reading this thread with great interest. As a physician and surgeon, we are daily faced with issues that relate to Ethics. Ethics might be summarized as having 4 components: 1. Beneficence, 2. Respect for Autonomy, 3. Paternalism, and 4. Nonmaleficence. AKA: Do what is right for the people or persons you are assisting, respect their ability to make their own decisions if fully informed, do not presume to tell someone what to do, and do no harm.
How each individual in a position of power, whether that person is a registrar or a physician, exercises these principles will create a framework for how their actions may be viewed.
In this case, I believe the dilemma focuses on what is right for the Robies vs. Community as a whole. And given the vulnerable position that the Robies were in, it sounds like they were fully informed and the folks involved exercised respect for their autonomy, paid them a very reasonable price, and did no harm.
If the Community wishes, it can consider setting parameters that include checking with registrars regularly and providing notification of interested persons ready to buy any car. But I do not think that a volunteer Cougar registrar needs to publicize every car for sale they are aware of to everyone.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 08 Mar 2018, 10:52

What are the communities expectations of the Registrars? And oath of abstinance? I think we should add something to the registry pages to the effect of "If you are interested in buying a (GT-E, XR7-G, Eliminator< etc) please notify the registrar as they are frequently contacted by sellers interested in private transactions."
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 08 Mar 2018, 10:54

jsv wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:26
I have been reading this thread with great interest. As a physician and surgeon, we are daily faced with issues that relate to Ethics. Ethics might be summarized as having 4 components: 1. Beneficence, 2. Respect for Autonomy, 3. Paternalism, and 4. Nonmaleficence. AKA: Do what is right for the people or persons you are assisting, respect their ability to make their own decisions if fully informed, do not presume to tell someone what to do, and do no harm.
How each individual in a position of power, whether that person is a registrar or a physician, exercises these principles will create a framework for how their actions may be viewed.
In this case, I believe the dilemma focuses on what is right for the Robies vs. Community as a whole. And given the vulnerable position that the Robies were in, it sounds like they were fully informed and the folks involved exercised respect for their autonomy, paid them a very reasonable price, and did no harm.
If the Community wishes, it can consider setting parameters that include checking with registrars regularly and providing notification of interested persons ready to buy any car. But I do not think that a volunteer Cougar registrar needs to publicize every car for sale they are aware of to everyone.
Perfect.....but you forgot the.....
MIC DROP 3.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 08 Mar 2018, 11:07

As the XR7-G Registrar I keep two lists.
1. People who have contacted the Registrar who want an XR7-G.
2. People who have an XR7-G for sale.

The Registry is private, not public. I receive no support from the CCOA financially, nor does Jim at the GT-E Registry, or any of the other registrars. I paid for the contract with Marti and Ford Motor Company out of my own pocket, as did Jim for the GT-E data. I am not allowed to publish or sell statistics from said database under the terms of my contract.

Occasionally I have purchased XR7-G's from all over the country. Typically I make them saleable and move them on to a owner who will continue to improve the car. Occasionally that makes a tiny profit, but normally it does not. I am more interested in improving the brand than anything else, and I think that concept is shared with all the other registrars. Maybe someday the perfect XR7-G for me will come my way. If it does I won't hesitate to buy it to keep until my estate sale.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

TomL
Registered Member

Post by TomL » 08 Mar 2018, 11:31

Registrar or not, anyone has the right to purchase a car at any moment in time. No disclosure to the world is required.
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 08 Mar 2018, 13:04

TomL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:31
Registrar or not, anyone has the right to purchase a car at any moment in time. No disclosure to the world is required.
That right there is probably the best, simplest way to put it. Any advantage Jim (or other registrars) enjoy by being in their position is well-earned, and they're allowed to buy a car if they want to. The whole reason these guys are registrars is that they're passionate about these cars, so you'd think they might want to buy one once in a while. :think: Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

ANYWAY, can we close the great ethics debate and get back to the car? Jim, I hope you won't be too shy in posting progress updates as a result of the shenanigans here. I'll be interested to see how you go about cleaning it up, and how you'll tread the line of preservation vs. restoration. I imagine there will be some tough choices involved.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 08 Mar 2018, 17:10

Blitz wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 13:04
TomL wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 11:31
That right there is probably the best, simplest way to put it. Any advantage Jim (or other registrars) enjoy by being in their position is well-earned, and they're allowed to buy a car if they want to. The whole reason these guys are registrars is that they're passionate about these cars, so you'd think they might want to buy one once in a while. :think: Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

ANYWAY, can we close the great ethics debate and get back to the car? Jim, I hope you won't be too shy in posting progress updates as a result of the shenanigans here. I'll be interested to see how you go about cleaning it up, and how you'll tread the line of preservation vs. restoration. I imagine there will be some tough choices involved.
And Jim, If you would like some help getting this one cleaned up I may be able to help. Just a cougar lover helping another one.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 08 Mar 2018, 18:16

badcatt wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 17:10
And Jim, If you would like some help getting this one cleaned up I may be able to help. Just a cougar lover helping another one.
I bet there are about a dozen of us in the region who would love to see this one in person.

Hmm... Cascade Cougar Club "Welcome Home" party and BBQ? >.>

Either that or we probably have to wait until PROWL to see it, LOL!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Cougar1
Registered Member

Post by Cougar1 » 09 Mar 2018, 05:45

Neal and Mike -- First Neal, thanks for the volunteer help cleaning it up -- I might take you up on that and I appreciate the offer. Mike, I told Clive down at WCCC that I'd consider bringing it depending upon how far I get with it by then.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

johnboy
Registered Member

Post by johnboy » 10 Mar 2018, 19:52

This should be the LAST "car flipper" mention.
Now, back to this very special thread and the real story meant to be posted here
Be advised no Cougars were harmed during filming.
68 XR7 J code madras blue/aqua
pics at http://www.motortopia.com/johnboy/car-pictures

Proud Member of the Curbsters

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.