This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

Post by catlover » 05 Mar 2018, 10:24

Royce wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 18:20
Part 2 of the video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BKem87Z10
Question to Royce, why does the block have a date of 7G1. and heads date 8B2 with N code. seems like the early block would have J heads.
The block was cast seven months before the heads, don't seem right.
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over

67 Cougar restomod
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

TomL
Registered Member

Post by TomL » 05 Mar 2018, 11:01

Not Royce, but the 427 SO blocks were cast before the big strike in Fall 1967. My GT-E has it's original engine and the block has a Jul '67 cast date. The 6090-J heads were cast in early 1968.
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl

R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by R Code » 05 Mar 2018, 11:22

Commoner checking in here. I have no problem with how this all went down. Doesn't change my opinion of Royce or Jim one iota: I hold them both in high regard.

What's all the fuss about GTEs anyway? Without A/C, who cares how fast your car is? Best to stick with R Codes, LOL.
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible

dmohry
Registered Member

Post by dmohry » 05 Mar 2018, 11:49

Crazy talk going on here, I bought my GT-E in PA in 2014. We tracked it down privately, but we soon realized that Jim knew about the 427 XR7 Cardinal red semi-survivor and the family situation of the deceased owner. Jim was awesome educating me about the car before I bought it. He helped me understand build dates, part numbers, VIN stamping locations and such so I could make sure that it was a numbers matching car. He continues to help me, even over this past weekend. He responded to an email that I sent him in a few hours. When I was thinking about selling it, Jim helped by providing a ballpark price and connected me with a potential people of interest. I finally met Jim at Ford Carlisle last year and I don't know how does it, but he made time to talk with everyone and answer everyone's questions. If he got a good deal, good for him, good things should happen to good people. he traded $60k for an old car and took all the risks involved. I would suggest that we not use this site for bashing, there are other sites for that. It is a great site for those who have it, to share knowledge and for those looking for it, like me, to get more of it.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 05 Mar 2018, 12:30

Several years ago a very prominent person in the Cougar community was offered a GTE project from a senior citizen who had owned it for decades. The seller came up with the price and the buyer gave an enthusiastic "YES!". Seller sleeps on it and decides to reach out to a trusted local club member in TX (Royce Peterson) and asks "am I doing the right thing? I am not connected to the internet and am not up on current values..." Royce set him straight and let him know the car was now worth multiples of what he was asking. I have watched Jim do the same and I too have insisted on giving folks more than they were asking because in the end we have to sleep and we have a reputation that took a long time to build. I again will point to the green GTE in Canada right now that is very original and has been for sale for weeks now at $85k with no sale, this red car cannot possibly be worth as much can it? I have a feeling that if you barraged the sellers with market info and asked "Would you like to back out of the deal now?" They would still be fine with what was offered.
Last edited by Don Rush on 05 Mar 2018, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 05 Mar 2018, 12:37

In all seriousness though, I can't think of a better person to own this GT-E, and do it justice, than Jim. I don't see anything wrong with how this happened. I understand the frustration, though, when from the outside it might look like an "inside deal", but clearly this is what the sellers wanted, and both parties are happy. Looking forward to seeing it get fixed up!
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine

TomL
Registered Member

Post by TomL » 05 Mar 2018, 12:39

I have a question to Royce or Jim. Why did the owner choose to not rebuild the original W-code 427 after it threw a rod on the trip from CA? He chose to have a "NASCAR" type 427 MR built engine instead.

Was it because he was looking for considerably more HP?
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl

Cougar1
Registered Member

Post by Cougar1 » 05 Mar 2018, 13:32

I really don't know for sure, maybe the subject came up when Royce spoke with them.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zman » 05 Mar 2018, 16:18

Blitz wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 12:37

In all seriousness though, I can't think of a better person to own this GT-E, and do it justice, than Jim. I don't see anything wrong with how this happened. I understand the frustration, though, when from the outside it might look like an "inside deal", but clearly this is what the sellers wanted, and both parties are happy. Looking forward to seeing it get fixed up!
Now I'm hungry for popcorn.
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 05 Mar 2018, 16:26

I think at the time (1972) the thought was to get it back on the road as quickly as possible, so he bought what was available through the local Ford dealer. They had just moved to Oklahoma from California and the Cougar was still being used as a daily driver.

Because the Medium Riser would not fit the stock exhaust manifolds he ordered a set of Hooker adjustable race headers with huge primary pipes.

At some point the decision was made that the car was better in stock form, so he had the original short block rebuilt. Right about that time a cousin borrowed the battery for another car. When he returned the battery he installed it backwards. Then when they tried to start the GT-E the reversed polarity at the alternator caused the entire wiring harness from the engine compartment to the under dash area to melt, smoke, and then nothing worked any more.

That is why the car exists in its relatively decent state today. No one wanted to change the entire wiring harness on the car.

TomL wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 12:39
I have a question to Royce or Jim. Why did the owner choose to not rebuild the original W-code 427 after it threw a rod on the trip from CA? He chose to have a "NASCAR" type 427 MR built engine instead.

Was it because he was looking for considerably more HP?
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar