Fuel Level Sending Unit

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: Fuel Level Sending Unit

Post by Don Rush » 11 Oct 2018, 17:49

70XR7Tom wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 17:12
I've got the WCCC "Fuel Sending Unit - Low Fuel Sensor - XR7 - STAINLESS - Repro Item #: 18901". They are currently out of stock. The level calibration is way of as reported above, I'm disappointed that WCCC didn't indicate that would be an issue. They are usually good about that. It has three posts (two electrical connections and one locator). I replaced a prior after market sender (w/o the low fuel sensor) that had only the one connection. It appeared that the connection on the aftermarket sender was larger or forcing the three connector wiring harness plug on the the single post may have damaged the harness plug. That prior aftermarket sensor was reporting fuel level fairly well but I wanted the low level. I have issues getting a good connection, the connector doesn't fit tightly on the posts, the low level sensor is not working reliably and I have run out of gas once. I've ordered the MeterMatch-VR and will try it out next time I feel like pulling the dash pad and instrument panel and rewiring.
The reason we did not report that these units had issues is we did not know... The supplier claimed they worked perfectly in the T-Birds for 2 years and had been thoroughly tested. We were thrilled as all they had to do was put a different tube on it and it was correct for Mustang / Cougar. We were grossly misinformed, they had multiple problems and we will not relist them until they have been in our cars (plural) for 60 days with zero issues. So far that has not been the case.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 11 Oct 2018, 17:50

Here 'ya go: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4412&p=48294&hilit=ELFI#p48294 Selling V1.4 now and they are $125 shipped. Please contact me with any questions and/or to place an order.

Regards,

Robert
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 11 Oct 2018, 17:57

This would be a great topic for a tech article. I pull the sender out and then plug it in with a ground wire run to the tank. I put the arm fully down and verify the gauge shows empty. Then I put it all the way up and verify that the gauge shows full. There are limit tabs built into the sender. by slightly bending the tab and the arm I am able to get it read right at both ends of the scale. Where it is in the middle isn't a huge concern at least to me. In almost every case I am able to replace the thermistor, sand blast the winding's, clean it all up and smooth it all out with fine emery cloth and replace the float and filter and it all seems to work for the next five years.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 11 Oct 2018, 17:59

I should add that Bob's ELFI works even better than replacing the thermistor.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 11 Oct 2018, 18:08

Don Rush wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 17:49
70XR7Tom wrote:
I've got the WCCC "Fuel Sending Unit - Low Fuel Sensor - XR7 - STAINLESS - Repro Item #: 18901". They are currently out of stock. The level calibration is way of as reported above, I'm disappointed that WCCC didn't indicate that would be an issue. They are usually good about that. It has three posts (two electrical connections and one locator). I replaced a prior after market sender (w/o the low fuel sensor) that had only the one connection. It appeared that the connection on the aftermarket sender was larger or forcing the three connector wiring harness plug on the the single post may have damaged the harness plug. That prior aftermarket sensor was reporting fuel level fairly well but I wanted the low level. I have issues getting a good connection, the connector doesn't fit tightly on the posts, the low level sensor is not working reliably and I have run out of gas once. I've ordered the MeterMatch-VR and will try it out next time I feel like pulling the dash pad and instrument panel and rewiring.
The reason we did not report that these units had issues is we did not know... The supplier claimed they worked perfectly in the T-Birds for 2 years and had been thoroughly tested. We were thrilled as all they had to do was put a different tube on it and it was correct for Mustang / Cougar. We were grossly misinformed, they had multiple problems and we will not relist them until they have been in our cars (plural) for 60 days with zero issues. So far that has not been the case.
I bought one for my yellow 68 XR-7 and I can't get it to register full either. Don, will there be a "fix" for those of us that bought these before the problem was discovered?
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 12 Oct 2018, 13:31

fordnutz wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 18:08
Don Rush wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 17:49
70XR7Tom wrote:
I bought one for my yellow 68 XR-7 and I can't get it to register full either. Don, will there be a "fix" for those of us that bought these before the problem was discovered?
If no fix then a refund... We are hoping for a fix.

fordnutz
Registered Member

Post by fordnutz » 12 Oct 2018, 14:32

I'm hoping for a fix as well. I think I must have bought one of the last ones before you found out they were having problems.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

70XR7Tom
Registered Member

Post by 70XR7Tom » 12 Oct 2018, 17:32

Don,
Sorry my criticism came across too strongly. You guys are the only supplier I know of that screens and rates products including offering those that are the only thing available but have issues that you caution about. It is appreciated. Many of the sending units have issues from a linear versus non-linear outputs and it's about impossible to tell how they will work. I'm expecting to get the MeterMatch-VR shortly and that should (if as advertised) let me calibrate the gauge readout to accurately report the fuel lever. I''ll let everybody know how it works out.
Houston TX
CCOA # 9432
1970 Cougar XR7 Hardtop 351C-4V, FMX, PW, PB, PS, AC, Rear Window Defogger, Styled Steel Wheels,
White Vinyl Top, Special Paint - 1968 Madras Blue, Black Houndstooth interior- Bought April 2015
RIP - 1970 Cougar 351C-2V, FMX, PS, AC, Vinyl Top, retro fitted PB - New to 1983

Singlemalt
Registered Member

Post by Singlemalt » 13 Oct 2018, 07:55

So, at the end of the day, there really is no good fix on this right now it seems. I suppose I can just use guess work. Fortunately, the trip odometer in car works and I reset it last time I topped the tank off. I'll keep a close eye on fuel mileage, knowing the tank is 20 gallons, and go from there. I just have to remind the wife if she fills up she'll need to reset the trip odometer so we can see how far we've gone since the last fuel. Or, go REALLY old school keep a gas in car at all times.
Hippie gas... that's funny. Lucky for me, I can get non-Hippie gas where I am at, which is what I will burn exclusively in the car. But I expect any damage has already been done.

93RGTE
Registered Member

Post by 93RGTE » 13 Oct 2018, 12:01

OCAF (Old cars are fun)
Fill up every 150 miles. ;)
Gary