Tips for proper height air filter

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
mfc133
Registered Member

Tips for proper height air filter

Post by mfc133 » 05 Mar 2018, 14:18

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I thought I'd pass it along. If you have this air cleaner base and you can't find a replacement filter that fits right I found an easy solution.

As documented by WCCC here, no replacement air filters fit the above air cleaner base/lid perfectly:
Please note that the Ford Service Replacement specs for this filter (Service Replacement # D7AF9601AA) are; Type: 67; Inside: 13.000; Outside: 11.200; Height: 2.795. All reproductions that we have found follow these specs, making the filter 1/8" taller than the original filters. These filters will function properly, but the lid will not seat properly.
  • When you install a replacement filter, it makes the lid stick up too high. Yes, technically it still seals around the carburetor and functions but it also looks silly:

• The 2.795" replacements are 1/8" too high, so the perfect height for the filter would be 2.67". Afterchecking dimensions of some other 13" round filters, the closest one I could find is the Wix 42102 (fits a Pontiac 400 I think). It's 2.5" tall so just a smidge too short. My solution was to run a thick bead of RTV silicone around one side of the air filter, and leave it to cure overnight:

• I used Permatex Ultra Black. Once cured it had enough height to take up the remaining space, and it was firm enough to hold it's shape without being squished. I placed it in the air cleaner permatex side down, and dropped the lid on. I could tell by the resistance when tightening the wingnut that it was the perfect height to seal up without raising the lid too high:
-Mike

1968 Cougar Standard, 302 4V, auto, Madras Blue

Cadillacbart
Registered Member

Re: Tips for proper height air filter

Post by Cadillacbart » 05 Mar 2018, 21:19

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Sounnder
Registered Member

Post by Sounnder » 07 Mar 2018, 20:57

Heres something I just thought of: Could you remove the rubber from the bottom of the old air filter and put it under the new 42102 filter. That way you will have the proper spacer available any time you change the air filter. When its under the filter and the secured lid it will be held solidly in place.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
1969 Eliminator 390 / C-6
2017 Ram 6.7 2500 4x4 Limiited

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 08 Mar 2018, 20:17

Sounnder wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:57
Heres something I just thought of: Could you remove the rubber from the bottom of the old air filter and put it under the new 42102 filter. That way you will have the proper spacer available any time you change the air filter. When its under the filter and the secured lid it will be held solidly in place.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
Not a bad idea, might give that a try with the old filter.
-Mike

1968 Cougar Standard, 302 4V, auto, Madras Blue