Snorkel door stuck open

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
halbey
Registered Member

Snorkel door stuck open

Post by halbey » 27 Feb 2018, 00:51

1969 XR7 with 351W. I was checking the operation of the snorkel door before repainting and discovered it is stuck open halfway. Left it out side overnight at 6 degrees and it did not move. Left it overnight in my boiler room at 78 and still held the same position. It moves freely to close it or open it all the way. Can the spring tensioner be adjusted? It appears to have a cap on the rod - no apparent way to adjust spring tension. Does the spring need to be replaced? Or am I stuck with it the way it is and just don't use the heat riser?

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: Snorkel door stuck open

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 27 Feb 2018, 17:11

I believe you can buy replacement thermo-springs for it from the various vendors.

Here is an example from WCCC...

https://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/c8a ... attribs=79

I would lubricate the hinge and ensure easy manual operation first. The door should be all the way "up" at room temperature, allowing hot air to come up from the exhaust manifold through the hole in the bottom, as you probably know.
Once you have the movement operating smoothly, install it on the car and bring it up to operating temperature. 78 degrees in the boiler room is not that warm compared to the air right off of a hot manifold. Once the car is up and toasty look in the end of the snorkel and check that the flapper door has moved "down" and blocked off the manifold air.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

halbey
Registered Member

Post by halbey » 01 Mar 2018, 19:49

Thank you Mike. Is the flapper door supposed to open all the way to the top of the snorkel or is the 1" opening I currently have all the way open? Could I put the snorkel in the oven at say 200 and see if that would close it? Just curious what temperature gets the thermospring to move if mine will move at all. The hinge appears to be free moving without any bends or pinch points.

Midlife
Registered Member

Post by Midlife » 01 Mar 2018, 20:52

Why not use a heat gun instead of putting the unit in an oven? I agree: 70* may not be enough to open the flapper door.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 02 Mar 2018, 10:55

halbey wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 19:49
Thank you Mike. Is the flapper door supposed to open all the way to the top of the snorkel or is the 1" opening I currently have all the way open? Could I put the snorkel in the oven at say 200 and see if that would close it? Just curious what temperature gets the thermospring to move if mine will move at all. The hinge appears to be free moving without any bends or pinch points.
Midlife wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 20:52
Why not use a heat gun instead of putting the unit in an oven? I agree: 70* may not be enough to open the flapper door.
Good call on the heat gun! Didn't even think of that >.<

Not sure if all the snorkel doors open the same. Pretty sure that mine (428CJ) swings fully, completely blocking off the passages in whichever direction.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

halbey
Registered Member

Post by halbey » 02 Mar 2018, 11:40

Excellent. I will try the heat gun today and see if it moves. Thank you guys for the input.

halbey
Registered Member

Post by halbey » 06 Mar 2018, 01:46

I tried the heat gun on the flapper spring and it moved just a little. I pulled the spring and it curled into a brittle C. I will order a new spring. Played with the hinge movement and found it a little stiff in spots. I removed the spring screw from the other end and figured I could remove the flapper to clean and repaint it and clean out the inside of the snorkel. Apparently the only way to remove the flapper is to bend down the thermo-spring tab which is tiny and fragile looking or bend down the spring screw housing bracket which is much larger and probably just as brittle. Is there another method to remove the flapper or should I just stop screwing with it?

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 06 Mar 2018, 16:06

halbey wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 01:46
I tried the heat gun on the flapper spring and it moved just a little. I pulled the spring and it curled into a brittle C. I will order a new spring. Played with the hinge movement and found it a little stiff in spots. I removed the spring screw from the other end and figured I could remove the flapper to clean and repaint it and clean out the inside of the snorkel. Apparently the only way to remove the flapper is to bend down the thermo-spring tab which is tiny and fragile looking or bend down the spring screw housing bracket which is much larger and probably just as brittle. Is there another method to remove the flapper or should I just stop screwing with it?
Sorry, I don't have an answer for this one :-(
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!