Third member swap...

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
User avatar
anthem75
Registered Member
Posts: 242
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 20:19

Third member swap...

#1

Post by anthem75 » 10 Feb 2018, 12:45

Greetings all...

Have found a 9", nodular case; 3.50 gear ratio third member for sale. Seller claims it's from a '66 Fairlane. I am wondering if this is a straight swap unit for my '67 GT with a stock 9" 3.00 rear end.

Thanks,

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

User avatar
anthem75
Registered Member
Posts: 242
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 20:19

Re: Third member swap...

#2

Post by anthem75 » 10 Feb 2018, 12:49

anthem75 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 12:45
Greetings all...

Have found a 9", nodular case; 3.50 gear ratio third member for sale. Seller claims it's from a '66 Fairlane. I am wondering if this is a straight swap unit for my '67 GT with a stock 9" 3.00 rear end.

Thanks,
Follow up question...If the 3.50 gears are posi, will that affect the installation into my conventional rear end?

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

Allen68
Registered Member
Posts: 76
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 11:42
Location: Bakersfield California

Re: Third member swap...

#3

Post by Allen68 » 10 Feb 2018, 13:08

I think as long as the splines on your axles are the same it should be no problem.

User avatar
badcatt
Registered Member
Posts: 1687
Joined: 29 Nov 2011, 14:13
Location: Camano Island WA

Re: Third member swap...

#4

Post by badcatt » 10 Feb 2018, 13:26

It will bolt in, things to double check before starting are as Allen68 said, Spline count. Yours most likely is a 28 spline unit. Most Factory Nodular case units were built with 31 spline axles for added strength. You will also need to check the yuk. Ford used several efferent ones, If it is not the same get the instructions from a shop manual before just swapping it over. You may want to have a shop do that. You also will want to get a proper driven gear for the speedometer cable and put that in so your getting a fairly accurate reading. I have done this swap a few times. Remember the center section is HEAVY.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
.
- Mark Twain -

User avatar
anthem75
Registered Member
Posts: 242
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 20:19

Re: Third member swap...

#5

Post by anthem75 » 10 Feb 2018, 13:33

badcatt wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 13:26
It will bolt in, things to double check before starting are as Allen68 said, Spline count. Yours most likely is a 28 spline unit. Most Factory Nodular case units were built with 31 spline axles for added strength. You will also need to check the yuk. Ford used several efferent ones, If it is not the same get the instructions from a shop manual before just swapping it over. You may want to have a shop do that. You also will want to get a proper driven gear for the speedometer cable and put that in so your getting a fairly accurate reading. I have done this swap a few times. Remember the center section is HEAVY.
Yes, I suspect the spline count will be the issue. I'm not hell bent on the unit. I just thought it might be nice to have a N-case with 3.50 gears if I could get it for a good price. I appreciate all the good information gentlemen.

Thank you so much,
Dennis

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

preaction
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 275
Joined: 26 May 2015, 11:18

Re: Third member swap...

#6

Post by preaction » 10 Feb 2018, 16:42

I believe the only Fairlanes in 66 that got 31 spline axles were 427 cars, there were only 57 of these cars made.
67 XR7 6.5 liter auto AC tilt pdb ps thermactor vinyl roof console SS wheels lime frost

preaction
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 275
Joined: 26 May 2015, 11:18

Re: Third member swap...

#7

Post by preaction » 10 Feb 2018, 16:42

I believe the only Fairlanes in 66 that got 31 spline axles were 427 cars, there were only 57 of these cars made.
67 XR7 6.5 liter auto AC tilt pdb ps thermactor vinyl roof console SS wheels lime frost

User avatar
Royce
Registered Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: 22 Oct 2011, 07:14
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Third member swap...

#8

Post by Royce » 11 Feb 2018, 08:55

If it came from a '66 Fairlane like preaction said it would most likely be a non - nodular, 28 spline unit. Better get some photos of it and post here so someone can tell what it is that you are actually buying. If it is what the seller states it is worth many thousands of dollars. Usually sellers overstate what they are selling, I have yet to be surprised by how great something was that I paid a fair price for.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

User avatar
anthem75
Registered Member
Posts: 242
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 20:19

Re: Third member swap...

#9

Post by anthem75 » 11 Feb 2018, 11:35

Royce wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 08:55
If it came from a '66 Fairlane like preaction said it would most likely be a non - nodular, 28 spline unit. Better get some photos of it and post here so someone can tell what it is that you are actually buying. If it is what the seller states it is worth many thousands of dollars. Usually sellers overstate what they are selling, I have yet to be surprised by how great something was that I paid a fair price for.
This is the only picture I could get.



The ad originally said that it was from a Fairlane, but the description the seller sent me in an email says..." 9 inch 31 spline, 3.50 gears in N case. Has the larger side bearings....probably came from a Galaxie".

Thoughts...?

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

User avatar
Royce
Registered Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: 22 Oct 2011, 07:14
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Third member swap...

#10

Post by Royce » 11 Feb 2018, 17:03

Its got a March 14, 1969 date code and the big squared off "N". Could have been in any number of 1969 model year cars and trucks including Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane / Torino / F100 etc.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

Post Reply