71 convertible rams

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Openable
Registered Member

71 convertible rams

Post by Openable » 29 Jan 2018, 22:12

Hi All,
So this last weekend I reinstalled my pump,lines and cylinders for the convertible top after years of being on the shelf in a box while rebuilding the rest of the car.i removed all the old fluid, and replaced with transmission fluid, cleaned everything and bled the lines. Once I hit the dash switch, I'm happy to say everything came to life. There are a couple things I'm unsure of. It's been so long since I dissembled it (13 years) I couldn't remember which cylinder went on which side. Yes I know I should have marked them but, does it really matter? Secondly, one of them is leaking through the ram seal. I was wondering if the seal might swell after being introduced to fresh fluid, from what I read, everybody seems to say I should replace both sides. The price seems to be all over the map for these from $119.00 to $149.00. Is there really a difference? I'd like to stay within the US for manufacturing, Can the OE's be rebuilt? Like many of you, I have way too much time invested in this project. I may have stopped years ago but people have told me I'm crazy...that just motivates me more. The last thing I want to do is have it all painted and fresh interior with a top that won't close and a ram that leaks oil. Any advice would be appreciated but I'm guessing I best budget for a new set.
These cars are worst than boats!
Attachments
20180129_195611_resized[54].jpg
20180129_195611_resized[54].jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 408 times

Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: 71 convertible rams

Post by Don Rush » 30 Jan 2018, 10:31

It does matter which side they go on, they cannot be rebuilt and have found one of the cheaper brands to be a tad too short.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/s ... 20cylinder

Openable
Registered Member

Post by Openable » 30 Jan 2018, 11:39

Thanks Don,
Do you have the correct set in stock?

Todd

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 30 Jan 2018, 13:02

Yes! Whenever you see the "add to cart" icon that means we have it, if you see "notify me" that means if you will give us your address we will email you when it comes in. Thanks for asking!

In Stock Now!
0 reviews | Write a review
Quantity:

Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 30 Jan 2018, 13:13

I discovered that the hydraulic lines for the top mechanism become brittle over the decades, and burst shortly after everything is put back together. I don't know how common that is, but you might consider spending another hunny and replacing those while you're at it.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/7 ... attribs=81

Midlife
Registered Member

Post by Midlife » 30 Jan 2018, 18:26

MrEos wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 13:13
I discovered that the hydraulic lines for the top mechanism become brittle over the decades, and burst shortly after everything is put back together. I don't know how common that is, but you might consider spending another hunny and replacing those while you're at it.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/7 ... attribs=81
So is that what is called a hunny do, as in a hunny do list?

Openable
Registered Member

Post by Openable » 30 Jan 2018, 19:35

Well Don, it's quite obvious I'm new to this forum stuff, I overlooked your link, I could have answered my own question..sorry. MrEos...I think I'll take your advise as well, been this long, and I'm guessing somebody will swing by soon with some more money for me. I'm sure hunny won't mind, when I brought the car home I put the title in her name, that way when I wanted some "me time" I could explain I had to go work on her damn car.
I do apologize to all for being a newbie but, if you'll stick with me, I'm sure I'll get over it!

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 30 Jan 2018, 21:13

Openable wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:35
...when I brought the car home I put the title in her name, that way when I wanted some "me time" I could explain I had to go work on her damn car.
Genius.

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 31 Jan 2018, 06:48

The rams can be rebuilt if you're brave enough to do some cutting. Basically, you have to cut the very top of the cylinder to remove the head. Then you can change the seals. To reassemble, you re-crimp the cylinder to the head. I rebuilt mine a year or so ago and the work perfectly. I posted pics of the process somewhere here.
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 31 Jan 2018, 11:23

Openable wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:35
Well Don, it's quite obvious I'm new to this forum stuff, I overlooked your link, I could have answered my own question..sorry. MrEos...I think I'll take your advise as well, been this long, and I'm guessing somebody will swing by soon with some more money for me. I'm sure hunny won't mind, when I brought the car home I put the title in her name, that way when I wanted some "me time" I could explain I had to go work on her damn car.
I do apologize to all for being a newbie but, if you'll stick with me, I'm sure I'll get over it!
Brilliant! That way you can put Snap-On tool sets under the tree for her!