Ride height

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Cougrrr
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Ride height

Post by Cougrrr » 26 Sep 2019, 10:48

My rear leaf springs are shot and I’m getting new ones.
I would prefer to see a level ride, not the raked stance.
I realize I could lower the front but a) would prefer not to go to the trouble and expense and b) because I understand lowering the front puts additional strain and wear on the front suspension.
I am ordering leaf springs that are 1” higher than stock. Is that a mistake? Is it going to screw up performance? I’m less concerned with how it looks than how it handles.
1969 351W Convertible

Car tour: https://youtu.be/QOVDOv6GVhU
Project thread: https://bit.ly/2n8GvKI

67427GT500
Registered Member

Re: Ride height

Post by 67427GT500 » 26 Sep 2019, 12:27

Who fed you that load of crap? Shelby lowered the control arms on Shelbys. Doing stupid things like cutting springs actually increases the spring rate.
My Shelby is lowered. 1" lower rear springs 180 LB rate with 1" blocks, 1" lower Global West FE 640 rate springs,1/2 Global West spring pacer, roller spring perches, poly urethane spring bushings, Koni shock absorbers with a 3/4" rear sway bar and 1" front and traction masters and the Arning upper control arm drop.
You don't raise the rear, you drop the front.
I wouldn't order anything raised. If you're running the original springs they are likely sagging. If you don't want to level the car order a replacement set.
You don't want to drive around a Cougar looking like a stink bug.

-Keith
'Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return'
'The American dream is alive for those unversed in the ideology of victimhood. - Thomas Sowell

Local Hero
Registered Member

Post by Local Hero » 26 Sep 2019, 14:53

67427GT500 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:27
Who fed you that load of crap? Shelby lowered the control arms on Shelbys. Doing stupid things like cutting springs actually increases the spring rate.
My Shelby is lowered. 1" lower rear springs 180 LB rate with 1" blocks, 1" lower Global West FE 640 rate springs,1/2 Global West spring pacer, roller spring perches, poly urethane spring bushings, Koni shock absorbers with a 3/4" rear sway bar and 1" front and traction masters and the Arning upper control arm drop.
You don't raise the rear, you drop the front.
I wouldn't order anything raised. If you're running the original springs they are likely sagging. If you don't want to level the car order a replacement set.
You don't want to drive around a Cougar looking like a stink bug.

-Keith
IKE..... is that you?
Mark
Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East
Anyone can restore a classic... it takes a real man to cut one up.

Local Hero
Registered Member

Post by Local Hero » 26 Sep 2019, 14:59

If you're wanting to see a level stance, then stock replacements will get you the closest to that. Granted these cars originally were lower in the rear than the front from the factory. You're current springs have sagged. Fresh ones will bring you back up until they too will eventually get tired and drop some. But that's a long way off. 1" higher than stock is hardly enough to give you a stinkbug stance though.

Once they're installed, run them a little while and let them settle. If you're not happy with where it sits then, you could always add a small lowering block. They're cheap and easy to swap in and out.
Mark
Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East
Anyone can restore a classic... it takes a real man to cut one up.

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 26 Sep 2019, 15:56

Local Hero wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 14:53

IKE..... is that you?
:spit: :jump3:
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

polanskys
Registered Member

Post by polanskys » 26 Sep 2019, 17:01

If you are not concerned about originality, your best bet is a local spring shop. You can tell them where you want the car to sit and they should be able to make, and if you wish install, leaf springs to accomplish what you want.

Steve

67427GT500
Registered Member

Post by 67427GT500 » 26 Sep 2019, 17:51

There are few spring shops left that fabricate springs. They use a blue print like anyone else. If they're his originals he could have them re-arched.
Most new springs already leave the posterior of the car high compared to OE height. If he orders anything more it will sit quite high. I've done several cars. It's experience, not talking out my posterior. Of course it's his car, he may do as he likes.
Personally, I don't do half-ass. If the rears are worn out so are the fronts. Do them all. If you want a better stance than stock we can get you there too.
I had the rears for mine made based on the Boss 302 suspension book. Mine are a little stiff, but not bone-jarring or unbearable.
It really depends on what the OP wants from the vehicle. -Keith

As for "Ike"; I'll presume it's an inside joke.
'Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return'
'The American dream is alive for those unversed in the ideology of victimhood. - Thomas Sowell

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 26 Sep 2019, 19:46

I know on my car the replacement rear springs are supposed to be stock height but the are definitely higher then they should be for stock. Then again they are not top end Eaton springs so maybe that’s normal for the springs I have. (Replaces by po before I acquired the car.)So far I’ve dropped it an inch with a block and it still sits higher then the front with a 1” lower front spring.

I would suggest stock height spring rather the a 1” higher.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Cougrrr
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Cougrrr » 26 Sep 2019, 21:16

Well, first of all, I have nothing against stinkbugs and their jaunty stance.
I started this post because I had mixed feelings about changing the height.
I think I’ll go ahead and see if I can change the order back to be stock height.
I’ll post the results when they are installed.
1969 351W Convertible

Car tour: https://youtu.be/QOVDOv6GVhU
Project thread: https://bit.ly/2n8GvKI

67427GT500
Registered Member

Post by 67427GT500 » 26 Sep 2019, 22:52

I am sure you'll be much happier in the end. It is going to take a couple months to settle. Good luck.
-Keith