How wide is 9”

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Bluestuff
Registered Member

Re: How wide is 9”

Post by Bluestuff »

I was refereing to cutting an inch off the outer ends of the axle tubes .

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE »

You are correct Royce. The differential does not get cut down, the axle housing does. Bluestuff just used the wrong terminology when he said differential.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell »

Currie Enterprises is one of the best known custom narrowed and strengthened 9 inch ford rear ends.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/

There are also many other companies. It would be about a push to purchase from them vice finding a narrow Ford rear end from the sixties. Currie will build you a custom width 9 inch housing and axel combination to your measurements. You really need to be careful on your wheel and tire selection and take many measurements. First figure out what wheel you want to run. No how to measure backspacing and ensure if the wheel choice will fit your wheel well with the tire of choice mounted on it. Currie may have produced some widths in the past that you can lever off from. Once your are confident that the wheel and tire can fit in the wheel well and not contact the leaf spring, I would order them and purchase them and have them mounted. Then you can really dial in the housing width.

None of this is very easy. It takes patience and lots of double checking of measurements. Once you have tires and wheels mounted they are yours and most companies will not take them back. We can go into backspacing and stuff, but most wheel companies have drawings and such to help. I have done this about 10 times in my career and each combination is different.

Crager sells custom offset wheels that can accommodate larger tires in your wheel well. I ordered custom backspace Cragers and fit a 26 tall 275/50R 15 tire on a 68 Mustang. No rubbing and it was a bit lowered. I can send you pics in e-mail to see the fit. robvalcampbell@comcast.net. Photobucket is not being very friendly these days.

Rob

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 »

Do you have to specify that the currie is going in a Cougar? They list the same rear end for both Mustang and Cougar.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 2v F Code ***NEW***
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'14 Camaro SS vert

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar »

I've got a '59 Ranchero differential under my '68. It's 2" narrower than factory, but the spring perches are in the correct place. It's a small bearing setup.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell »

Cougars_R_Grr8 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 17:03
Do you have to specify that the currie is going in a Cougar? They list the same rear end for both Mustang and Cougar.
I believe the widths are the same.

Rob

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

I agree Currie is well known and they do a great job. However they also are frightfully expensive! I recommend checking Moser against Currie before buying. Moser does exactly the same thing in most cases for a lot less money. Quality at Moser is outstanding. It's probably just the difference between the cost of doing business in California VS anywhere else.

If you live in LA then Currie might make sense for something you could pick up in person to avoid shipping cost.

robert campbell wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 10:12
Currie Enterprises is one of the best known custom narrowed and strengthened 9 inch ford rear ends.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/

There are also many other companies. It would be about a push to purchase from them vice finding a narrow Ford rear end from the sixties. Currie will build you a custom width 9 inch housing and axel combination to your measurements. You really need to be careful on your wheel and tire selection and take many measurements. First figure out what wheel you want to run. No how to measure backspacing and ensure if the wheel choice will fit your wheel well with the tire of choice mounted on it. Currie may have produced some widths in the past that you can lever off from. Once your are confident that the wheel and tire can fit in the wheel well and not contact the leaf spring, I would order them and purchase them and have them mounted. Then you can really dial in the housing width.

None of this is very easy. It takes patience and lots of double checking of measurements. Once you have tires and wheels mounted they are yours and most companies will not take them back. We can go into backspacing and stuff, but most wheel companies have drawings and such to help. I have done this about 10 times in my career and each combination is different.

Crager sells custom offset wheels that can accommodate larger tires in your wheel well. I ordered custom backspace Cragers and fit a 26 tall 275/50R 15 tire on a 68 Mustang. No rubbing and it was a bit lowered. I can send you pics in e-mail to see the fit. robvalcampbell@comcast.net. Photobucket is not being very friendly these days.

Rob
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar