How do i clean my engine bay ?

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: How do i clean my engine bay ?

Post by Royce »

There's really no substitute for elbow grease and each part will require a different technique. I use Go-Jo hand cleaner with rags to clean wiring harnesses. Diesel soaked rags work great for removing heavy gunk and grease. After the major grime is removed you may want to come back with a spray cleaner like Scrubbing Bubbles for example. Isopropyl alcohol on a rag is sometimes the right answer. Old toothbrushes are handy. Lots of work to get it really clean,
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD »

I wanted to recommend brake clean as well but its on the lines of gasoline but much more flammable. I use brake clean(not the cheap auto parts store stuff) to clean most greasy motor parts after scrapping the chunks off.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.
Work in progress...

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop »

xr7g428 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:10
Now that my eyebrows have grown back I would like to remind others that gasoline is not a good choice of solvent. But it is incredibly good for Amateur dermal reductions. Takes off the top layer in a flash so to speak.
Now that’s funny!

Never had a problem with simple green staining anything, but I haven’t let it soak stuff for more than 15 minutes or so. Good to know.

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration--drive all the time, but you are never really done!)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

Bluestuff
Registered Member

Post by Bluestuff »

Would it be worth hiring a HOT water blaster with some detergent with it ?