How long did it take to find your car.

Okay, lets put it to a vote: were all Cougar Convertibles Red? Is the '68 really the best year of all? This is the place to count the votes and find out.

How long did it take you to find your Cougar?

I wasn't looking / it found me.
Less than one week.
One week to one month.
One to three months.
Three months to one year.
More than one year.
Still looking.
Total votes: 35

Registered Member

Post by snafu » 26 Jun 2012, 15:04

How long did it take to find your Cougar?
1969 Cougar Standard

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Re: How long did it take to find your car.

Post by 1967 S Code » 26 Jun 2012, 19:15

I looked for a couple of years for my Cougar. About seven full years passed between getting Cougar fever and buying my current Cougar. Cougars never really left my blood after having my first, so I'm glad I found my cat. It was worth the wait.

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 26 Jun 2012, 20:06

Are we supposed to stop looking? LOL! I don't care how many Cougars you have you never know what might be out there...
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 26 Jun 2012, 21:27

"Daydreamed" for a long time, but, once I decided to pull the trigger, the deal went down in less than a week......still send the PO pics on occasion.
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

Registered Member

Post by ahunt191 » 26 Jun 2012, 21:29

Me: Hey, did you find any more parts for that '65 Mercedes you sold me?
Mechanic: No, but I have this Cougar.
1967 Standard
Stray Cats #371

Registered Member

Post by 1969eliminator » 26 Jun 2012, 23:11

15 years, though I never expected to actually find it; it had been totaled shortly after I sold it ... in 1974!!
1969 Eliminator 351-4V M-code (original owner)

Registered Member

Post by tmh » 27 Jun 2012, 01:32

I don't remember exactly but I wanna say around a month or so from the time I posted on MCN that I was looking for one until the day I bought mine. Total dumb luck that my car came up for sale here in the Chicago burbs right when I was looking. The day I went to check it out (and immediately pull the trigger) the PO said they had to call the guy from the west coast to tell him not to bother to fly out. I could easily have missed it by a day. Dumb luck. Love it.
'68 XR-7 J-Code C4, San Jose, Edelbrock 1406, PS, Front PDB, 8" rear 3.0, PS is leaky and sloppy, invisible fan shroud
'79 Bronco XLT 351m, C6, Edelbrock Performer 400 intake, Holley 6140, Howards cam, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, dana44 front and Ford 9" rear both 4.11 LSD, Warn hub locks, invisible fan shroud
'80 Suzuki GS750E 16V DOHC, looks about 6 months old
'13 Honda CR-V AWD

Registered Member

Post by Bricklyn » 27 Jun 2012, 05:27

Took me a few years since 86' the neighbor had a 67 but his buddy had a sweet 69 eliminator, I almost had one in 89 but the seller decided that the deposit I put down on it wasnt good enough and sold the car to someone else for more cash. Got the cash back and kept looking. While I was in the Army almost bought a 70 vert from a guy out in Tx near Ft.Bliss but I was getting sent to germany in a few months so I didnt buy it. Eventually I bought a Harley sportster and sold it to a german buddy when I left for more than I bought it for. Needless to say life took over when I got out, kept looking but not actively. Saw a real POS 67 that some kid was trying to sell, it was in worse shape than E-Bobs Vert. Talked to the wife a bit and decided that it was time, did the search and looked at quite a few of em but they werent the 69 that I wanted. I almost settled for a decent 68 then I saw an ad on Craigslist - with no pictures but was within my cash range. Sent em an email they sent me pictures - my jaw dropped, I called em up made sure that we were talking about the same car and made an appointment to go out and see it. We went and checked it out, met the owners - (it was more of an interview process really), we haggled a bit becuase there were a few issues that needed to be worked on. Agreed on a price and I drove it home with no break booster,no powersteering and a small radiator and vaccume leak, and no turn signals.
Its all been fixed except now I am haveing wireing issues here and there due to brittle wires and bad spliceing from the PO. - Wouldnt trade for anything.
Chris V

Son - Hey dad whats the difference between confident and confidential?"
Dad-"You are my son of that I am confident. Your friend Timmy is also my son. Thats confidential"
Brought to you by The Curb. Helping fathers and sons figureing out what's what since 2003.

69-Sports Special
14 - Jeep Cherokee
12- Camery

R.I.P. (the cool cars only)
69 Nova SS
88 Cougar LS
05 Grand Prix GTP
05'-Jeep Liberty

Local Hero
Registered Member

Post by Local Hero » 28 Jun 2012, 07:35

I had a paper route at the time (age 12) and my only concern was which bicycle I was going to build next out of garbage picked parts to keep me mobile, when my dad told me that Grandpa was going to buy a new car and he was going to give us his busted up Cougar.

Well.... umm...... OK.....

I had ZERO clue that this would turn into something that I would be spending the rest of my life being involved with.
Last edited by Local Hero on 28 Jun 2012, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East
Anyone can restore a classic... it takes a real man to cut one up.

Registered Member

Post by fordblue » 28 Jun 2012, 11:12

I had been looking on and off for a couple of years at Cougars on ebay. Usually when I was offshore and peer pressure mounts to start buying things after being gone for a few weeks.

I saw the pics of mine on ebay and the white interior sold me as soon as I saw it. 2 bids and some nail biting due to a slow internet connection later and it was mine.

Sent a paypal down payment and took the car trailer to Houston when I got home and picked it up.

Of course, everywhere we stopped on the way home I was asked if it was for sale.....
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0/Auto
1977 Ford F150 4X4 400(416)/C6/NP 205/Dana 44/Ford 9"
1967 Mercury Cougar 289 4 Barrel/C4/Ford 8"