ATTENTION! Photobucket is holding us hostage!

Tell us what you think! This forum is here to serve the Cougar hobby, we need your help to make it better.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

ATTENTION! Photobucket is holding us hostage!

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 09:03

Photobucket has changed their terms of service and now demands that we pay $399 a year to continue hosting the images that we use on this site. This means that pretty much every image used for the Ride of the Month as well as many of the tech articles will soon crash if we don't pay up.

As most of you are aware, we don't accept any advertising. There are no sources of income for the site except for the donations that come from the users. We are lucky if those donations total $300 a year, which is considerably less than the current site overhead expenses.. This means another $400 is a big deal. I am not asking any one to donate more money, and we are not going to accept advertising. We are going to find a low cost solution.

Our plan is to find some other way to host the images and then see what can be done to migrate the links. That most likely will involve having to go into every single thread that contains and image and then editing the links to point to the new image location. I can not even begin to estimate the number of hours that will take.

Photobucket was free to us while it lasted, and we sent thousands of you to the site for your own use. Since they no longer allow any linking for free accounts you may find that you too are going to be stuck with making changes. They see what we are doing as "third party use and require us to purchase the most expensive plan they have. I suspect that their business is failing so they are making a last ditch effort to generate some cash.

I will try to keep every one updated as we move forward.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

mo2872
Registered Member

Re: ATTENTION! Photobucket is holding us hostage!

Post by mo2872 » 30 Jun 2017, 09:08

Well, looks like it's time to go back in to my PB account, and transfer all those images back onto the hard drive, dangit.
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 09:22

The Terms of service render most accounts pretty much worthless.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 30 Jun 2017, 09:30

Having been through this "exercise" once with my ECI thread on MCnet, I have license to say: Fargin' Iceholes!
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

jays
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jays » 30 Jun 2017, 11:48

There are other free image-hosting services that still allow third-party image hosting, but I think what Photobucket is doing will happen to them all eventually, so using another probably is a short-term solution.

As an interim, kind of clunky workaround, you can right-click the blocked Photobucket image, choose "view image", refresh your browser on the Photobucket site until the image is viewable, then go back to CCC. Your browser should have cached the image, and you will see the actual image instead of the blocked image.
Allergic to Cats

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 30 Jun 2017, 11:51

That really does suck and total BS for them to force the payment issue. Even if the forum had the money I wouldn't support it based on principle. I am of course new around the cougar world and it seems CCC is still privately owned and operated(which i think is great!) vs the others selling their sole to verticalscope. Every forum I have been a part of that had sold to a company like this has gone downhill.

I have used photobucket for years and it was always pretty easy to use. I did however notice recently its indicated with ads to the point of making it a total pain to navigate on a desktop.

What is really going to suck is all the past threads that may have used them for hosting. It will kill all those links with great pictures of tech,builds etc. For me personally I rely heavy on those old threads for research on my current project
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 30 Jun 2017, 12:33

I think the problem is bigger than you think, Bill. If I understand it right, there is nothing CCC.com can do... the users of photobucket must upgrade their account ($399 each) to be able to post their photos on other sites. See this: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photo ... ed-images/

Edit to add: By the way, most ISP's give their users a limited amount of web hosting space that can be used to host pictures - if you are computer-literate enough to figure out how to do it.

jays
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jays » 30 Jun 2017, 12:52

If you want an idea of the impact here, there are 3424 posts that include images linked from Photobucket. Of course, there may be more than one Photobucket image in a post...

The way I read it, every user who hosts images on other sites from a Photobucket account may be charged the fee in order for their images to show up on the third-party site, but it doesn't look like every user here has been targeted; so far, it looks like just the CCC Photobucket account.
Allergic to Cats

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Jun 2017, 13:38

You are correct Mr. Eos... This is a major issue.
My fondest hope is that they let individuals continue with free third party hosting capabilities.
My dream is that Face Book or Google will buy them and make it free again.

hesmytaxguy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by hesmytaxguy » 30 Jun 2017, 15:57

xr7g428 wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 09:03
"There are no sources of income for the site except for the donations that come from the users. We are lucky if those donations total $300 a year, which is considerably less than the current site overhead expenses."
I had not realized that you were subsidizing the site to that extent. I'd challenge all users to make an appropriate donation to at least cover the expenses and perhaps it can also cover the additional $ 400 for a temporary solution to the immediate problem.

XR7g428, could you let us know what the numbers are, including the number of users so we can get an idea of how much per person we need to contribute?

I suspect we have all benefited from the site and perhaps not realized we've been provided a free lunch for quite a while. Anyone up for the challenge?