Cougar 1

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
ClawIt
Registered Member

Cougar 1

Post by ClawIt » 28 Feb 2018, 11:34

I took some friends with me to Detroit (50th) and they were in awe about Cougar 1. They recently asked if Cougar 1 had sold.

Jim/all has Cougar 1 sold?

pellets4fuel
Registered Member

Re: Cougar 1

Post by pellets4fuel » 28 Feb 2018, 12:00

According to the site it looks like it is still for sale for 410,000. After I read several of the articles and looked at the photos a number of questions came up for me. Two that I can think of right off is why does it have the chrome valve covers which I thought only came with the GT package, but has a non GT style air cleaner. According to WCCC parts that air cleaner also came with a painted lid.
The other thing I read in one of the articles was early production cougars to a point at Dearborn didn't have buck tags applied. Curious if anyone knows at what point, as my car doesn't have a buck tag and was slated for build in Oct 28th of 66
The dash face pads still make no sense to me, why the non AC ones had the bezels around the indicator lights, and the AC ones don't. I have both here, and the one has them, and the AC one doesn't.
Beautiful car though!!
David Siedschlag
#16306 1967 Lime Frost S-code, Ivy gold interior
4-speed, A/C, sports console, AM-8track.
1980 Toyota truck, woodgas powered
22re 4x4

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 28 Feb 2018, 12:13

Remember... This was a show car. Leaded in seams, extra plush carpet, extra attention to detail. This video explains more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-QzB6LCoc

Cougar1
Registered Member

Post by Cougar1 » 01 Mar 2018, 05:47

Cougar 1 was equipped with all of the things a GT would have except the fender emblems. The marketing department hadn't gotten final approval from the powers that were to actually throw the flag to produce GTs until serial #41. The first 8 serial numbered Cougars were stall-built in advance of the regular production Cougars.

And yes, the car is still for sale. The reason the selling price went up from $330K to an asking price of $410K is the result of the car receiving the National Automotive Heritage Award from the Historic Vehicle Association, while it was in Carlisle, PA. It is now a "national treasure" and will be the future subject of documentary joint project with the Library of Congress and the HVA.

The appraisers and the insurance company have studied other vehicles that have won the award and determined the received price premium for such an award. So we will see, in any event the $330K was a firm price, and as I indicate above the $410K is an asking price. We need to find "just the right buyer" for Cougar 1, someone in the hobby who will take care of it as we have, and will make it available to the Cougar community.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

pellets4fuel
Registered Member

Post by pellets4fuel » 01 Mar 2018, 07:19

Thanks Jim for the reply. One question to you if I might ask, (or if anyone else knows) In the article on Cougar 1's site titled the first 8 Cougars wrote by you and Kevin it did state that body buck tags were not at use at Dearborn right off. Do you know at what point they were? I have Cougar 16306 and my car does not have a buck tag. I am curious to find out if it never had one or if it was removed by someone. It's scheduled build date was Oct 28 1966. Not sure when it actually got done.
David Siedschlag
#16306 1967 Lime Frost S-code, Ivy gold interior
4-speed, A/C, sports console, AM-8track.
1980 Toyota truck, woodgas powered
22re 4x4