One for Don Rush or does anyone else have info on these?

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
thunderchero
Registered Member

Re: One for Don Rush or does anyone else have info on these?

Post by thunderchero » 17 Feb 2018, 20:10

ok silly question here, was this an original Team Cougar car? since they were in the trunk. and if so how much would car be worth?

And surprised no one has asked history on this car yet.
I miss hearing my kittens roaring....

1972 Comet GT red/black interior 302 auto (1979)
1970 Cougar standard pastel blue/blue interior, (1979-81)
1970 Cougar standard competition gold/black interior (1981-1984)
1970 Cougar XR7 convertible pastel blue/blue interior w/power windows (1983-1989)
1969 Sunroof Eliminators Hertz-Rent-A-Racer (1984-1985)
1970 Cougar standard convertible competition gold/dark ginger interior (1984-1985)
1989 Capri convertible/hardtop (1989-1995)
1995 T-bird LX police interceptor 4.6 (1995-2004)
1964 Ranchero deluxe (1999-) in-progress resto-mod
2004 Mazda 3 (2004-2017)
2017 Chevy Cruize (2017-)

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 18 Feb 2018, 05:27

There is one Bud Moore Cougar that is "out there" somewhere - but if this is a '68 then that would make it a Grand American car and not a Trans-Am car (Bud did build Cougars exclusively for each series).

If it is an ex-Bud Moore car then the modifications would be extensive and it would no longer be streetable.

Restomodcougar, you say you know the "maker" and that he once drove for Team Cougar - what is his name and which race did he drive?

- Phillip

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 18 Feb 2018, 08:29

It's my understanding that the '68 Grand American cars are the same cars used in the '67 Trans Am series. The cars were further re-bodied in '69 with new exterior sheetmetal, but underneath they continued to be the same '67 Cougars as before.

Nonetheless, those seat belts were from the Shelby How to Sharpen Your Cat's Claws catalog. They were never offered installed in any Cougar, and they were made for over the counter sale to retrofit street driven cars. There's no way you can associate those with any racing series.

propayne wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 05:27
There is one Bud Moore Cougar that is "out there" somewhere - but if this is a '68 then that would make it a Grand American car and not a Trans-Am car (Bud did build Cougars exclusively for each series).

If it is an ex-Bud Moore car then the modifications would be extensive and it would no longer be streetable.

Restomodcougar, you say you know the "maker" and that he once drove for Team Cougar - what is his name and which race did he drive?

- Phillip
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 18 Feb 2018, 11:00

Bud built at least 3 Trans Am cars in 1967. He brought two of Trans Am cars into NASCAR in '68 and sold one that stayed in Trans Am and was wrecked badly at the first TA race of the '68 season.

He also built at least one Cougar in 1968 that was exclusively built for the NASCAR Grand American series - he may have built more.

You can trace the cars through photos in vintage racing programs by telltale signs, like front vent wing windows, notched trunks, roll cages, etc.

Of all of the known Bud Moore Cougars, the remains of all of them have been found and resurrected accept for one that can be seen in photos racing in NASCAR as late as 1971 still with it's '67 sheet metal.

- Phillip
Last edited by propayne on 19 Feb 2018, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Restomodcougar
Registered Member

Post by Restomodcougar » 18 Feb 2018, 22:44

thunderchero wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 20:10
ok silly question here, was this an original Team Cougar car? since they were in the trunk. and if so how much would car be worth?

And surprised no one has asked history on this car yet.
No, the car I bought is just a run if the mill standard model that has an XR7 dash installed but the car has not one spec of rust under it and is really why I bought it.. New Ford Racing engine with roller cam, aluminum heads, ceramic coated headers, Edelbrock Performer intake, rebuilt C4 with 1800 stall converter and shift kit, new 9" rear and front disc conversion and Ridler polished Aluminum wheels. I paid What the engine cost!

The person I bought the car from Is a racer and has drag raced cars, motorcycles, you name it for almost 40 years, and has a shop where he builds and restores cars on his achorage. He said being a racing enthusiast, when he bought the Cougar last year he was going to turn it into a Gurney replica car and is why he put a Shelby wheel in it and found that seat belt online and XR7-G badges.

He wasnt going to give me the belt at first because he said he paid a ton for it but when I went to pick up the car and got home I saw it in there. I called him and told him and he said that he decided to just throw everything in the trunk that was for it.

Restomodcougar
Registered Member

Post by Restomodcougar » 18 Feb 2018, 23:19

propayne wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 05:27

- Phillip
My bad. I was thinking back to reading about Lund driving for Bud Moore's team.

I know that Ray Brown started supplying the belts to Ford in late 66' in the Shelby cars Replacing or changing names from Impact belts in the earlier cars and from that point on Ray Brown belts were installed in all Shelbys and Cobras as well as about every other race team of that era and started selling to the public as he was the pioneer of the Safe-T-belt as it was known back then.

This is from the official Shelby site.

"Seat Belts
There were three types of the three inch aircraft seatbelts used on the 1965 GT350, most were chrome plated. The hardware used to attach the belts to the eyebolts varied, some had larger "ears" on the wings than others. Another area that was seen as a variation was the roughly square patch of black leather for the latching mechanism. This leather piece has been seen on the latching arm of the belt as well as on the other side where the latch locks into. It has also been observed on original cars that both types may be present. The supplier contracted for the belts was Ray Brown Automotive in Pomona, California."

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 19 Feb 2018, 12:33

Royce wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 08:29
Nonetheless, those seat belts were from the Shelby How to Sharpen Your Cat's Claws catalog. They were never offered installed in any Cougar, and they were made for over the counter sale to retrofit street driven cars. There's no way you can associate those with any racing series.
Interesting! I'm guessing they would have come plain, though? Wondering about the Team Cougar patch, and how that got there.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 19 Feb 2018, 12:49

Royce wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 08:29

Do you have any literature that shows the seat belt listings? One that has more listings than this one?

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/a ... attribs=75

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 19 Feb 2018, 14:41

Don Rush wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:49
Do you have any literature that shows the seat belt listings? One that has more listings than this one?

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/a ... attribs=75
Don,
Did you make photo copies of that before you sold it?
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 19 Feb 2018, 14:43

Couldn't find them listed in my copy of HTSACC either.

- Phillip
Attachments
HTSACCorderForm.jpg
HTSACCorderForm.jpg (198.6 KiB) Viewed 195 times