$500 for an Eliminator?

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: $500 for an Eliminator?

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 06 Feb 2018, 18:37

Spoke with Mike Rettinger (the seller) this afternoon. He was quite unaware that it might be an Eliminator. eBay buyer is located in Mexico, and since the car is being sold on a bill of sale they may not be able to get it across the border. If they can't come to an arrangement we may see it relisted.

Mike was not exactly disparaging of Cougars, but he was pretty dismissive of them having much value - except for the higher end cars, of course. Which I can understand - he makes his money on Mustangs, and people will pay good money for the rattiest basket case Mustang... but next to nothing for a comparable Cougar :-/
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Openable
Registered Member

Post by Openable » 06 Feb 2018, 22:52

[CCCGallery]800|533|2018|3017.jpg
Oh my, while I fully understand keeping these gems alive, I'm glad it won't be me. After years of working on the less desirable second generation 71 XR7 vert. whilst raising 3 kids, working and, life in general, I would not want to start over. I have done everything myself without having any experience in welding or panel pounding when I started. I bought the welder and tools AFTER I brought the care home. I know the second generation is less desirable because while at a car show last summer, I was inquiring about this fella's very cool 69 XR7. I mentioned I was working on a 71, he took a sip of beer, and began to talk to his buddy as if I had walked off. I thought to myself well I wonder why I'm spending all this time on a 71, then I decided he was just a jack ass!
It'll be interesting to see if the eliminator hits the market again but, rest assured it won't be me driving the price up!

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 06 Feb 2018, 23:29

Openable wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 22:52
[CCCGallery]800|533|2018|3017.jpg
Oh my, while I fully understand keeping these gems alive, I'm glad it won't be me. After years of working on the less desirable second generation 71 XR7 vert. whilst raising 3 kids, working and, life in general, I would not want to start over. I have done everything myself without having any experience in welding or panel pounding when I started. I bought the welder and tools AFTER I brought the care home. I know the second generation is less desirable because while at a car show last summer, I was inquiring about this fella's very cool 69 XR7. I mentioned I was working on a 71, he took a sip of beer, and began to talk to his buddy as if I had walked off. I thought to myself well I wonder why I'm spending all this time on a 71, then I decided he was just a jack ass!
It'll be interesting to see if the eliminator hits the market again but, rest assured it won't be me driving the price up!
While I'm not sure where 9 mile falls is at, I do have a 71 XR-7 I have been working on. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5289&p=89633#p89633
I am more in to the 69/70 Cougar, but when I found this one I know it had to be brought back to life. I have far to much money in to it, but am excited to get it out on the road soon.
Keep up y the work and enjoy it when it is done. The 71 through 73 are great driving cars. I have had several.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 07 Feb 2018, 16:50

Openable wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 22:52
I mentioned I was working on a 71, he took a sip of beer, and began to talk to his buddy as if I had walked off. I thought to myself well I wonder why I'm spending all this time on a 71, then I decided he was just a jack ass!
Yeah, that guy's an @ss. The unspoken rule of car shows is you talk about your car and you ask about their car - and listen when they tell you about it. You never know what you'll learn, or from who.

Personally, when I was younger the '71-73's did not appeal to me at all. As I get older, I like the looks of the convertibles more and more. The coupes, still not so much. I think it's the roofline, cuz I don't like the '71-73 Mustang coupes either.

Anyhow... restore what you love, and enjoy it when you finish :-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Openable
Registered Member

Post by Openable » 07 Feb 2018, 21:45

Thank you for the encouragement and I agree, the work on the car keeps my brain working on many different levels at tasks I am unfamiliar with. between the electrical, body, suspension and on and on. I do have a couple mustangs, 64-1/2 coupe and a 66 vert that my step father bought new and left me when he passed. The 71 will be a great driver, I put just enough add-ons to make it a joy, like an AOD, posi trac, beefed up the motor a shade without going overboard. Nine Mile is just north of Spokane Wa. about 15 miles. Fairly small community, deer in the yard almost daily...great place to live, been here 30 years and Spokane all my life.
Anyway, the picture was taken last Saturday, the first time in 14 years I got to drive it. It goes in next Tuesday for a front end alignment, and brake adjustment. Since it is all new and installed by me, I just want it dialed in for safety by the pro's.
Sorry fella's for the multiple posts, I'm still learning this forum stuff...

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 08 Feb 2018, 01:34

Openable wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 21:45
Thank you for the encouragement and I agree, the work on the car keeps my brain working on many different levels at tasks I am unfamiliar with. between the electrical, body, suspension and on and on. I do have a couple mustangs, 64-1/2 coupe and a 66 vert that my step father bought new and left me when he passed. The 71 will be a great driver, I put just enough add-ons to make it a joy, like an AOD, posi trac, beefed up the motor a shade without going overboard. Nine Mile is just north of Spokane Wa. about 15 miles. Fairly small community, deer in the yard almost daily...great place to live, been here 30 years and Spokane all my life.
Anyway, the picture was taken last Saturday, the first time in 14 years I got to drive it. It goes in next Tuesday for a front end alignment, and brake adjustment. Since it is all new and installed by me, I just want it dialed in for safety by the pro's.
Sorry fella's for the multiple posts, I'm still learning this forum stuff...
I looked up where is was after I made my post. I will need to get out to that area next time I am over there. I was in the Spokane area last June driving the White 70 XR-7 on my way to Dearborn Michigan. I drove US-2 out to the upper peninsula of Michigan. I like the area you are in.

Keep up the work. You will enjoy driving that Cougar. I will be taking mine in for a front end alignment in a few weeks. If you say my post yesterday you know I fired up the engine yesterday.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
- Mark Twain -

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 08 Feb 2018, 09:31

One of the reasons Im not big on car shows. Everyone seems to be full of themselves and their cars and will turn their nose up at yours. If I do go to one I simply look and dont really engage in conversation about a particular car. Maybe its just me but I would rather be driving or wrenching on mine in the garage rather then sitting at a car show anyway. You gotta appreciate the amount of work it takes to get one of these old beat up girls back to a roadworthy state no matter if it fits your taste or not! Im glad to know restoring these old classics still appeal to alot of people to keep history alive and on the road.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Openable
Registered Member

Post by Openable » 08 Feb 2018, 19:20

Well said and agreed.
Badcat, are you located on Camano Island?
I spent many summers there as a kid, we had friends of the family with a big place on the water, my grandparents lived in the guest house for about 7 years..I really like the area...

Midlife
Registered Member

Post by Midlife » 08 Feb 2018, 19:39

My wife's grandparents homesteaded on Camano Island. The property is now part of a Land Trust/nature conservatory.

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 08 Feb 2018, 20:07

Openable wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 19:20
Well said and agreed.
Badcat, are you located on Camano Island?
I spent many summers there as a kid, we had friends of the family with a big place on the water, my grandparents lived in the guest house for about 7 years..I really like the area..
Trust
I do live on. Camano Island. I love it here. I also lived on Whidbey island for many years. I like the quiet and elbow room. Look me up if you get out here again.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
See ya on the hiways,
- Mark Twain -