Faster than a speeding ticket?

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
zman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Faster than a speeding ticket?

Post by zman » 25 Jan 2018, 07:10

allenman85 wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 19:47
I'm by no means the right person for checking laws on speeding. I got caught at 140 in a 55 and got a verbal. Those days are long gone.
I recall hearing that Texas changed its laws with regards to speeding 25+ over in a given limit - mandatory tow and loss of license. This might be above a certain base speed limit...
But one place I have heard you don't want to be over the speed limit is Virginia. This story is worth reading: https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-vir ... 1613604053
140? What were you driving.
69 Cougar 351W 4V, FMX Auto, PS,PDB, AC
55 Ford 2dr Customline 302 4sp
06 Ford F250 SC 4x4
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
97 Arctic Cat Cougar 550 L/C
99 Arctic Cat Jag 440

ClawIt
Registered Member

Post by ClawIt » 25 Jan 2018, 07:37

Northern Ohio's famous Boss 429 owner, Joe Flowers, took his drag ready blower equipped B9 to the 1980 Shelby meet at Dearborn after changing out the 4:30s to something in the 3s. When asked the usual "how fast does it go"? he invited the person for a ride on the freeway. The Michigan Highway Patrol anticipating these 'drives' were on the freeway. After Joe warped past them and they could not catch him they just waited for him at the show. Upon his return he was taken away for a few hours and returned with a speeding/reckless driving ticket and a certificate saying the fastest chase by the MHP at 154 MPH.

JETEXAS
Registered Member

Post by JETEXAS » 25 Jan 2018, 09:42

I didn't realize how much the laws actually differed from state to state until reading through this thread.

I remember reading back in the late 90s or early 00s that there were sections of road in Montana that had done away with speed limits completely, but I have no idea if they're still "use your own good judgement" or if they decided to go back to enforcing a certain speed.

allenman85
Registered Member

Post by allenman85 » 25 Jan 2018, 18:07

JETEXAS wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 09:42
I didn't realize how much the laws actually differed from state to state until reading through this thread.

I remember reading back in the late 90s or early 00s that there were sections of road in Montana that had done away with speed limits completely, but I have no idea if they're still "use your own good judgement" or if they decided to go back to enforcing a certain speed.
Back when I lived in New Mexico (86-88) the fine above 70 was an "economy tax" -- that was it. No ticket on your record. Last time I drove thru NM the posted limit was either 75 or 80 out on west I-40. I had a trooper sit on my butt for about a minute. I thought I was getting ticketed since I was doing 85 in the left lane. In fact he wanted me to get over to the right since I was slowing down traffic! LOL

I think Texas officially has the highest posted speed limit in the US (85 mph on HWY 130). I think Montana has disposed of the open highway (no limit) concept.
1970 Cougar. 351C/FMX/AC/PS/PB/Comp Green w/White Top, 3:00 open
Now: 622 HP, 351W w/AFR, solid roller, 418ci, C6, 3.50:1 posi, 3" Magnaflow SS exhaust

DeadStang
Registered Member

Post by DeadStang » 25 Jan 2018, 18:31

I got busted on I-5 around the hell-hole Tacoma, never-ending construction zone; 8mph over the limit by a motorcycle douche bag at $140. I was actually trying to get OUT of the fast lane after the solid white line stopped to let the long line of cars pass me, when the car in the middle lane braked -- I still think he radared that guy who was actually driving faster than me. When he gave me the ticket, he stood there, waiting for me to thank him?! Seriously?

But I actually am going to be negative and complain about these serious speeds -- 25mph zones are there for a reason. You're going to hit someone's animal, their car when they pull out of their driveway, or someone's child. And when I'm tooling along on the freeway (usually slightly over the speed limit) and an a-hole suddenly appears literally out of no where on either side of me, speeding excessively, it's freaking really dangerous. You can't drive with your eye glued to the side view mirrors -- I have almost changed lanes into these people a few times and I don't give a crap if it kills them, but their recklessness will probably kill me or my kid and others around us on the freeway.

OK, rant/sermon off. :roll: