Production Quantities - 1968 Cougar.

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
twbremner

Production Quantities - 1968 Cougar.

Post by twbremner » 29 Dec 2017, 10:41

Good Day All,

My Father is a cougar fanatic and has asked me to pose this question to the group.

He was recently reading "The Big Book of Cougars" - and was reading about production numbers for 1968 and it listed only one in base cougar that had a 380 6.5L.

My father was an original owner of the following car back in '68 when he bought it new it had the following specs - unfortunately we do not have the vin. We're curious of the production quantities matching these specs - was his a one of one car or?

Thank You,
Theo & Tom New Milford, CT

- 1968 Base model cougar
- Am Radio
- Dan Gurney Dress Package
- 4 wheel drum brake
- With center console
- Solid Green Exterior with black leather interior
- 4 Speed
- Power Steering
- Bought in Danbury, CT - Brag Motors (out of business)

Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: Production Quantities - 1968 Cougar.

Post by Don Rush » 29 Dec 2017, 13:20

Very likely yes! When you get down to the minutia like which radio it had, hubcaps and the like a very large percentage of the early cars were 1 of 1. These days you check package groups that make the production of cars more stream lined, back then you could check dozens of boxes like door edge guards, rear window defog, locking dif, heater delete and so on. If you wanted to order a lime frost green car with bright red interior and no options you could!

anthem75
Registered Member

Post by anthem75 » 29 Dec 2017, 15:46

Don Rush wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 13:20
Very likely yes! When you get down to the minutia like which radio it had, hubcaps and the like a very large percentage of the early cars were 1 of 1. These days you check package groups that make the production of cars more stream lined, back then you could check dozens of boxes like door edge guards, rear window defog, locking dif, heater delete and so on. If you wanted to order a lime frost green car with bright red interior and no options you could!
According to Kevin Marti, my '67 base model GT (below) was 1 of 1 due to the included factory option of "Shoulder Harnesses". They are long gone now, but I am curious as to what kind of $$ I might be looking at to restore this option and what it might be "worth" in the end...

Don..? Anyone..?

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 29 Dec 2017, 16:11

Not very much at all, It was a common lap belt just elongated. Python Restorations can reweb and restore a pair of rear lap belts and we can give you a diagram on where to poke the hole in your headliner. VERY rare option for 67 only seen it 2 other times both on an xr7.

anthem75
Registered Member

Post by anthem75 » 29 Dec 2017, 16:21

Don Rush wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 16:11
Not very much at all, It was a common lap belt just elongated. Python Restorations can reweb and restore a pair of rear lap belts and we can give you a diagram on where to poke the hole in your headliner. VERY rare option for 67 only seen it 2 other times both on an xr7.
I appreciate the swift reply Don, thank you. I am however having trouble visualizing the original configuration. Please forgive my ignorance, but is the shoulder harness option applicable to the REAR belts or the FRONT? How do they work? I wish I knew more about this, but I have been so focused on my engine rebuild and power train restoration, that I have not given this issue proper attention.

Classic Canadian Cougar
Standard '67 GT

"If you're the smartest person in the room, you're working with the wrong people".

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 29 Dec 2017, 16:28

They mount way in back above the pinch-weld soft trim moulding just like a 68 and are identical to the rear lap belts. No rear shoulder belts were available until 68 and they are very rare.