Distinctive Industries upholstery defect

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Socalef9
Registered Member

Re: Distinctive Industries upholstery defect

Post by Socalef9 » 30 Dec 2017, 22:21

xr7g428 wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 12:25
Looking at the bottom cushion your upholstery guy is not doing this right. The first thing you do when you fit a seat cover it to find the center of the cover (mark it with chalk) and the center of the base ( also mark it with chalk) and then you line the two up. The cover on the bottom cushion is clearly not centered. Look at the location of the center hump. The back looks a little closer, bit also seems to be shifted a bit towards the drivers side.
Here's the problem with that, the piping on both the left and the right side are dead on. If i shift the cover one way or another, the piping will drop down and be out of place. I measured from the edge of the seat cover to the center. One side is about 1.5 inches longer than the other , hence the seat cover having the appearance that it's not center.

I tried to line up the center of the bottom with the center of the top, and everything was still way off.

All the measurements between stitches on both sides are all over the board.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 30 Dec 2017, 23:08

The center is the center. That is the reference point when you install a seat cover. Once you get the centers to line up, then you work out from the center towards the edges keeping things as lined up as possible. I can't say they are made right but if you don't start from the center it is unlikely they will ever line up. You kind of have to work the covers, stretching a little here and bunching a little there. Maybe the covers are still not made right too but with the centers that far off nothing will line up.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 30 Dec 2017, 23:59