Distinctive Industries upholstery defect

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Socalef9
Registered Member

Distinctive Industries upholstery defect

Post by Socalef9 » 19 Dec 2017, 23:51

A few months back, I bought a front and rear seat distinctive Industries upholstery kit. I finally got around to having it installed, which cost just about as much as the kit itself.

Anyway, I went to pick them up today and noticed several problems.

The first is that the stitching from the seat back does not line up with the bottom. There is no way to fix this. One row lines up,. The others get progressively worse.

The next, which is visible if you look closely, the pattern on the decor stripe is crooked. If you look at the top edge, the rows of dots are canted over and do not fit square in the rectangular shape of the stripe. The stripe is also stitched crooked at the top.

Third is that there is not enough material in the back to tuck under the rear cover.

I can live with the second two, but stitching looks terrible and my eye goes straight towards it. There was really no way to tell it was defective until being installed and assembled.

I called Distinctive Industries, and they basically said to contact the retailer. Understandable. But then they also said they would not cover any loss I'm taking with labor. They said I or my installer should have inspected before installing. Problem is some of these problems aren't evident until after installation. It is looking like Distinctive Industries does not stand behind their work and is hanging me out to dry.

Am I wrong to be pissed that I have to foot the bill to install something twice, due to the fact that I got a faulty product?

Do I have any recourse ???

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: Distinctive Industries upholstery defect

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 20 Dec 2017, 06:08

IMO, no, you are not wrong to be pissed and no, you have no recourse.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 20 Dec 2017, 08:01

1. They should make you a new set of seat covers without the defects.
2. The installer should of noticed it was off and contacted you and said “hey these are defective do you want to continue installing them or not”. At the very least they should cut you a break about 50 percent to reinstall new covers. They should not have finished the job looking like that.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 20 Dec 2017, 08:18

BossElim69 wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 08:01
1. They should make you a new set of seat covers without the defects.
2. The installer should of noticed it was off and contacted you and said “hey these are defective do you want to continue installing them or not”. At the very least they should cut you a break about 50 percent to reinstall new covers. They should not have finished the job looking like that.
In his defense, you can't tell the stitching is going to be off until the seats are fully assembled.

As for the decor stripe, that's a little more obvious, but still, it's only really obvious after being put on.

Distinctive Industries did not offer me any help, nor did they seem to care.

The manager made the comment, "when your car messes up, you don't complain to Honda, you take it to the dealer where you bought it."

I agree, my installer does carry some of the blame, albeit a small amount compared to that of the manufacturer, but he is trying to work with me while I sort stuff out.

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 20 Dec 2017, 11:57

Can your installer shift the seat bottom cover to the left a wee bit so that at least the center stripe lines up? That would spread the misalignment out symmetrically and maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable.
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 20 Dec 2017, 12:00

Yorgle wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 11:57
Can your installer shift the seat bottom cover to the left a wee bit so that at least the center stripe lines up? That would spread the misalignment out symmetrically and maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable.
I'll ask, but I doubt it because of the listing wires that attack with hog rings

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 20 Dec 2017, 12:12

Don't be too hard on the installer, I for one when I open a new part or product assume it is going to be spot on. If the installer had lots of experience with Distinctive products he would intuitively inspect the products first. For the most part DI will right their mistakes if the retailer shows good pics. Very frustrating I know, we are putting consistent pressure on TMI to do Cougar interior.

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 20 Dec 2017, 12:52

Don Rush wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 12:12
Don't be too hard on the installer, I for one when I open a new part or product assume it is going to be spot on. If the installer had lots of experience with Distinctive products he would intuitively inspect the products first. For the most part DI will right their mistakes if the retailer shows good pics. Very frustrating I know, we are putting consistent pressure on TMI to do Cougar interior.
I'm not being hard on the installer at all. I don't feel he is at fault. My main issue which is the stitching, would not be caught with a pre install inspection, unless a tape measure was pulled out.

waterlife
Registered Member

Post by waterlife » 20 Dec 2017, 21:11

You can not blame installer for the first 2, maybe the 3rd, but you could have inspected it first. As a former shop owner, when people bring in parts to have installed, we would never give any warranty, no exceptions.
1970 COUGAR M CODE

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 21 Dec 2017, 00:03

waterlife wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 21:11
You can not blame installer for the first 2, maybe the 3rd, but you could have inspected it first. As a former shop owner, when people bring in parts to have installed, we would never give any warranty, no exceptions.
Again, not blaming the installer. Im pissed at Distinctive Industries for not standing behind their product. Im pissed that my main issue, which is the stitching being offset, would really only be noticeable after being installed.