Seat foam

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
rcode
Registered Member

Re: Seat foam

Post by rcode » 14 Dec 2017, 18:01

My decision is to go with the upgraded NPD pieces. Once they are upholstered, I will post pic's. It's going to be a few months as the material is coming from SMS and then the shop will perform their magic. Hope I've made the right decision, lotsa bucks and little recourse once the decisions made...
69 XR7 CJ Black plate Triple R car, original selling dealer:
Star Lincoln Mercury, Glendale, CA
03 Cobra (ordered new)
LaBelle Ford LaBelle, Fl
"Tonight, We Ride"!

fisherman74017
Registered Member

Post by fisherman74017 » 26 Dec 2017, 18:08

Anyone else use the NPD seat foam in a decor car? I am looking for the best set for the GT with a decor interior.

Thanks,
Charlie B.
1967 XR7 - Cinnamon Frost / Saddle
1968 GT - Blackcherry / Dark Red (Project with my Dad)
1972 Triumph TR6 - Blue / Black

fisherman74017
Registered Member

Post by fisherman74017 » 28 Dec 2017, 16:19

Can anyone give guidance on the foam they used on a 68 decor interior? Trying to determine if NPD part# SF-8 would be correct or SF-200A.

Any guidance / history is apprecaited.

Charlie
Charlie B.
1967 XR7 - Cinnamon Frost / Saddle
1968 GT - Blackcherry / Dark Red (Project with my Dad)
1972 Triumph TR6 - Blue / Black

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 29 Dec 2017, 19:48

Ok, on the subject of seat foam...

My seat foam is disintegrating. But I have original skins in pretty good condition. I'm worried that if I put new foam under the old skins that the threads will start to pop, given the added stress of having fresh foam under them.

Would an upholstery shop be able to "restitch" the ribbing threads on comfortweave seats?
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

hesmytaxguy
Registered Member

Post by hesmytaxguy » 29 Dec 2017, 20:50

Hey Mike. Re: your question about restitching, I was told "no" by a couple of shops (I have a bench seat that is split down a couple of seams) and you can see where someone tried to resew some spots but they do not look good at all.

My only (semi) technical knowledge I can add is from my years around chemists at my former company. We had a business area that produced automotive vinyls (although not in upholsteries) and there was a huge concern with that area's most important customer about UV / heat / etc. resistance is that vinyls will degrade with combinations of those factors and age. My personal preference would be to replace both the foam and the covers so I don't have to worry with it again but you could perhaps cut back slightly on the amount of foam if you're worried about over-stuffing the existing covers.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 31 Dec 2017, 00:27

Thanks Tax Guy! That's kind of what I was afraid of :-/
My actual material isn't split (yet), but some of the threads are starting to pop in the seat surface itself ~ they ones that give it the "ribbed" appearance. Not sure if that matters at all though.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

hesmytaxguy
Registered Member

Post by hesmytaxguy » 01 Jan 2018, 00:04

There are indications that someone tried to repair (not very well) the splits along the ridges but apparently it's not something that lends itself to something like a restitching / resewing. I like to keep the car as original as possible but sometimes I have to admit that 50 years of wear isn't always kind.

The car is in remarkable condition for being 50 - it'll still be Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine even with new upholstery.