NEW! Photo Gallery plus an easier way to add images!

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Re: NEW! Photo Gallery plus an easier way to add images!

Post by Al Bundy » 14 Sep 2019, 03:00

CATHOUSE wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 20:38
Okay, I went through part of the process of adding an album. I still only see "Private" as an option. Perhaps though if I were to complete the whole process of adding an album then "public" may become an option. For right now though my question is does it really matter if it is private or public? My main reason for placing photos in an album is so that I will be able to add those photos to posts that I make on the forum.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
The drop down should show the name of your new album which by default will be public. If you don’t want or need people to view the albums directly, then it doesn’t matter if they are public or not.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

jays
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jays » 14 Sep 2019, 09:48

CATHOUSE wrote:
Okay, I went through part of the process of adding an album. I still only see "Private" as an option. Perhaps though if I were to complete the whole process of adding an album then "public" may become an option. For right now though my question is does it really matter if it is private or public? My main reason for placing photos in an album is so that I will be able to add those photos to posts that I make on the forum.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
When I add an album, I get a "Success" message and the user interface (UI) immediately changes to that album so that I can add images to it. If I don't add any images, and go back to the Albums page, the new album I added is selected. If that's not happening for you and you have clicked the "Submit" button on the Add Album dialog, then I suspect the issue is either that you have javascript disabled for the site, or there is an issue with your browser.

I don't recommend using a "Public" album for images for your posts. It would be better to use something more specific, say a folder for the particular car you're showing photos of, though you may want a catch-all folder like "Public" if you have images that don't fit in a specific folder. Imagine that you've only used a "Public" folder, and you have a few hundred images in it down the line? It would be really hard to manage. The albums make it easier to manage your images, and easier for other members of the Community to find them.

The intent of the Gallery is that you can show off images of your cars to other members of the Community. If you put the images in your Private folder, they won't show up if someone searches the Gallery for your images, or images in general, just as I was unable to see the image you uploaded to your Private album. You can use the Private album for things you want to hide from Search but still use on the Forum, like images for your signature, for example.
It's not a bug. It's a feature.

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 14 Sep 2019, 19:38

Al Bundy wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 03:00
The drop down should show the name of your new album which by default will be public. If you don’t want or need people to view the albums directly, then it doesn’t matter if they are public or not.
I cannot imagine that I would add any photos that it would matter to me if others were able to see them. Do many of the members here actually search the albums looking for photos?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy » 14 Sep 2019, 19:58

CATHOUSE wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 19:38
Al Bundy wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 03:00
I cannot imagine that I would add any photos that it would matter to me if others were able to see them. Do many of the members here actually search the albums looking for photos?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
I’m not really sure, I know a few guys that have an album for public view. I created one with the most current pictures of the GTE. I can’t really say if anyone will actually look at it.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 14 Sep 2019, 20:05

jays wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:48
CATHOUSE wrote:

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
When I add an album, I get a "Success" message and the user interface (UI) immediately changes to that album so that I can add images to it. If I don't add any images, and go back to the Albums page, the new album I added is selected. If that's not happening for you and you have clicked the "Submit" button on the Add Album dialog, then I suspect the issue is either that you have javascript disabled for the site, or there is an issue with your browser.

I don't recommend using a "Public" album for images for your posts. It would be better to use something more specific, say a folder for the particular car you're showing photos of, though you may want a catch-all folder like "Public" if you have images that don't fit in a specific folder. Imagine that you've only used a "Public" folder, and you have a few hundred images in it down the line? It would be really hard to manage. The albums make it easier to manage your images, and easier for other members of the Community to find them.

The intent of the Gallery is that you can show off images of your cars to other members of the Community. If you put the images in your Private folder, they won't show up if someone searches the Gallery for your images, or images in general, just as I was unable to see the image you uploaded to your Private album. You can use the Private album for things you want to hide from Search but still use on the Forum, like images for your signature, for example.
Jay,
I doubt that I went far enough through the process of adding an album to really determine if I would have a problem or not. With what I did do though I think that I would be okay adding an album. I did not see an option of adding a folder.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

jays
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jays » 15 Sep 2019, 09:50

CATHOUSE wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 20:05
Jay,
I doubt that I went far enough through the process of adding an album to really determine if I would have a problem or not. With what I did do though I think that I would be okay adding an album. I did not see an option of adding a folder.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
If I said "folder," I should have said "album." Albums in the gallery are the same as folders.
It's not a bug. It's a feature.

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 15 Sep 2019, 21:33

jays wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 09:50
CATHOUSE wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 20:05
Jay,

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
If I said "folder," I should have said "album." Albums in the gallery are the same as folders.
Thanks Jay, that makes more sense to me. I can make a different album for each different subject that I have photos for.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95