Pin stripes

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
jrv
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Nov 2012, 10:24

Pin stripes

Post by jrv » 14 Nov 2012, 18:52

Hi there! My name is Jim and I'm new to the site. I picked up a '67 base model with a 289 and 3 speed stick earlier this year.
I had it painted right after I bought it and it use to have pin stripes but I've heard that they didn't come with them.
Does anyone know if the base model '67's came with pin stripes and if so, what was the correct style?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG-20120825-00114 (640x480).jpg
IMG-20120825-00114 (640x480).jpg (214.9 KiB) Viewed 527 times

User avatar
1967 S Code
Registered Member
Posts: 4244
Joined: 25 Dec 2010, 20:35
Location: Sumter, South Carolina

Re: Pin stripes

Post by 1967 S Code » 14 Nov 2012, 21:05

Yes 1967's came with pinstripes. There is a difference on the fender and body extensions as to the gaps in these locations. 1968 models had a larger gap in between each section but the stripe width and spacings were the same between the two years. The pinstripes were painted on by hand in the factory using templates if I remember correctly. Below are links to MC.net where this topic was discussed. Bill's BBcat is a 1967 and he covered it with some pictures in his restoration post.
I almost forgot to say welcome to the Classic Cougar Community Jim. Thats a good looking Cougar you've got there.
Steven


Bill's BBCat restoration thread
https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum ... pes#p13156

Pinstripes topic at MC.net
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... =pinstripe
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... +pinstripe
Image

Our Cougars

Image

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels


1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire


1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

jrv
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 03 Nov 2012, 10:24

Re: Pin stripes

Post by jrv » 16 Nov 2012, 21:40

Hey, thanks a lot for the info. That helps a lot and thanks for the compliment. You've got a pretty nice ride yourself.

User avatar
1967 S Code
Registered Member
Posts: 4244
Joined: 25 Dec 2010, 20:35
Location: Sumter, South Carolina

Re: Pin stripes

Post by 1967 S Code » 17 Nov 2012, 06:27

I'm glad that helped and thanks for the kind words on my car.
Steven
Image

Our Cougars

Image

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels


1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire


1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

User avatar
7.0 Litre Kid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 203
Joined: 05 Mar 2014, 09:08
Location: Utah

Re: Pin stripes for 1968

Post by 7.0 Litre Kid » 20 Feb 2018, 19:06

1967 S Code wrote:
14 Nov 2012, 21:05
Yes 1967's came with pinstripes. There is a difference on the fender and body extensions as to the gaps in these locations. 1968 models had a larger gap in between each section but the stripe width and spacings were the same between the two years. The pinstripes were painted on by hand in the factory using templates if I remember correctly. Below are links to MC.net where this topic was discussed. Bill's BBcat is a 1967 and he covered it with some pictures in his restoration post.
I almost forgot to say welcome to the Classic Cougar Community Jim. Thats a good looking Cougar you've got there.
Steven


Bill's BBCat restoration thread
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1104&p=13156&hilit ... pes#p13156

Pinstripes topic at MC.net
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... =pinstripe
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... +pinstripe
So does anyone know which of the double wheel heads are correct for the Beugler pinstriper ?

I was looking to pick one up,and believe they originally used the double wheel in 1967-1968.
What does everyone think? Anyone else tried to replicate the factory style striping?

User avatar
Don Rush
Registered Member
Posts: 2181
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 20:43
Location: Brooks Oregon
Contact:

Re: Pin stripes

Post by Don Rush » 20 Feb 2018, 19:20

This outfit has a good product and Cougar stripe dimensions in their data base.

https://www.finessepinstriping.com/

User avatar
7.0 Litre Kid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 203
Joined: 05 Mar 2014, 09:08
Location: Utah

1968 Dearborn MI Pin stripes

Post by 7.0 Litre Kid » 21 Feb 2018, 21:07

Don Rush wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:20
This outfit has a good product and Cougar stripe dimensions in their data base.

https://www.finessepinstriping.com/
That’s probably fine for some, going a restomod route.
For others wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.
I’ve got pictures of an original 1968 Dearborn MI car built in early March if anyone needs the details

Looks like the “One shot” Polar white is the first one to try
Once I get the Beugler , I’ll advise on what I find on wheel size needed.

User avatar
BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 1981
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 13:18
Location: Michigan

Re: Pin stripes

Post by BossElim69 » 22 Feb 2018, 06:46

wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.

Actually, using the stencil is the correct way and how it was done at the factory.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

User avatar
7.0 Litre Kid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 203
Joined: 05 Mar 2014, 09:08
Location: Utah

Re: Pin stripes

Post by 7.0 Litre Kid » 22 Feb 2018, 07:44

BossElim69 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 06:46
wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.

Actually, using the stencil is the correct way and how it was done at the factory.
You are mistaken. The stripes weren’t hand brushed on.
You are correct for most generic striping done.

I was a PDI mechanic in the late 70’s , and saw hundreds of cars go through the system, adding accessories or mods , was the only real option a dealer had to make $ on a sale

I’m wanting physical evidence of how Dearborn applied striping in 1968.

User avatar
catlover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 699
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 08:57
Location: S/W Virginia

Re: Pin stripes

Post by catlover » 22 Feb 2018, 09:11

7.0 Litre Kid wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 07:44
BossElim69 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 06:46
wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.

Actually, using the stencil is the correct way and how it was done at the factory.
You are mistaken. The stripes weren’t hand brushed on.
You are correct for most generic striping done.

I was a PDI mechanic in the late 70’s , and saw hundreds of cars go through the system, adding accessories or mods , was the only real option a dealer had to make $ on a sale

I’m wanting physical evidence of how Dearborn applied striping in 1968.
I respect your opinion, but totally disagree
There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over
67 Cougar restomod
68 GTE
69 Elim. 428 SCJ orange/ white
CCOA 7574

Post Reply