Looking for my Dad's Eliminator

Of course you want an Eliminator with a sunroof (well any Cougar really). List it here and cross your fingers!
slimsunny34
Registered Member

Looking for my Dad's Eliminator

Post by slimsunny34 » 23 Feb 2018, 16:52

Hi folks - this is a long shot, but I'm trying to find my dad's car that he was forced to sell when I was born.

I unfortunately don't have a VIN, but I have an old picture of it and a good description.
The img tags aren't working, so here's the picture: https://imgur.com/a/T5oGg

It's a 1970 Eliminator with the 351 Cleveland, automatic. It's orange in this picture but there's a chance it was originally blue and repainted? Not sure of the accuracy on that.

White interior.

I can't really tell from the picture, but have been told by one of his friends that it may have had a sunroof. Again, not sure on the accuracy of that.

He had it while living in Milwaukee, WI and he sold it around 1985 or '86. It had fairly low mileage when it was sold (I think something like under 50k).

Any help in finding it is much appreciated!

badcatt
Registered Member

Re: Looking for my Dad's Eliminator

Post by badcatt » 23 Feb 2018, 16:59

I was able to get it to post for you. FYI if it is a true Eliminator it has a dealer installed vinyl roof. They were not factory available on a Eliminator. But it can help ID this car.
I can't tell for sure, but I don't think it has a COUGAR script on the quarter panel by the marker. That is inductive of a Eliminator. But I do see wheel lip moldings. Also not part of the Eliminator package. But not prof of it not being a Eliminator. I do like the Keystone Classic wheels.
Last edited by badcatt on 23 Feb 2018, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

9F91H581221
Registered Member

Post by 9F91H581221 » 23 Feb 2018, 22:28

It could have been a Hertz Eliminator because they did not have a front spoiler. Can't tell if it has a sunroof. Perhaps someone put the vinyl top over a leaking sunroof to stop the leak? I wonder if you can get any info like the vin from the state of Wisconsin based on the plate number?

slimsunny34
Registered Member

Post by slimsunny34 » 23 Feb 2018, 23:18

Working on seeing if I can find the VIN. Dad works for the state of Wisconsin so called his co-workers and they have requests in with the DOT/DMV to see what kind of other info we can get. Fingers crossed!

From my research, I realized that only 100 of them had a sunroof. And with none having a factory vinyl top, it's just weird. The friend who said it was originally blue also said it had a sunroof. I'm waiting on confirmation from another of his friends on those two aspects.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 25 Feb 2018, 14:03

If your Father has any old auto insurance or registration papers the VIN should be on there.

Also, Marti Auto Works can research the VIN for you if you have enough information about the car. According to Scot Hulvey at Marti Auto...
They would need to email sales@martiauto.com.

The information they would need to provide would be: Original Selling Dealer and a detailed description of the car. They should only list options they are 100% on. If they are not sure then they should not list it.

We will see if it’s enough information and let the customer know.

The cost for this is $100 but it does not include an emailed Marti Report.

Scot Hulvey
Marti Auto Works Inc
Do you have any other pictures of the car at all? We may be able to help by spotting specific options.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

slimsunny34
Registered Member

Post by slimsunny34 » 26 Feb 2018, 12:31

Unfortunately, no other pictures. I did confirm that it had a sunroof though.

DMV doesn't have records of the VIN, but they referred me to the Librarian for the DOT as sometimes records of sale get passed to the historical society. Waiting to hear back from them.

Trying to make this a surprise for pops, so just asking him if he has old records unfortunately won't work. I'm going to be at his place in April, so might have to wait til then to go looking through the records.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 26 Feb 2018, 12:43

Chances are it is long gone but recreating it would not be hard at all.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 26 Feb 2018, 13:29

slimsunny34 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:31
Unfortunately, no other pictures. I did confirm that it had a sunroof though.

DMV doesn't have records of the VIN, but they referred me to the Librarian for the DOT as sometimes records of sale get passed to the historical society. Waiting to hear back from them.

Trying to make this a surprise for pops, so just asking him if he has old records unfortunately won't work. I'm going to be at his place in April, so might have to wait til then to go looking through the records.
Were you able to confirm the original color too?

The trick will be to get him talking about his old car and memories of it. Sneak those important questions in here and there...
"Oh? Did you buy it brand new? Where / when was that, some dealership somewhere? Was Mom / Grandma / Grandad with you? Cool stuff, Pop!"
"I hear it was hard stopping those old cars without power brakes, and harder to steer without power steering!"
"I bet it was hot without AC!"

;-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

428cougarguy
Registered Member

Post by 428cougarguy » 28 Mar 2018, 23:33

I'm betting it is not a Real Eliminator. Probably one of the first "tribute" Eliminators built. It is missing the side "Eliminator" call out, missing the RH mirror, and front spoiler all which are factory options for the Eliminator. Also the black out paint, doesn't look quite correct on the hood grille. Lastly it has a vinyl roof, and wheel lip moldings, which are not correct for Eliminator also. We may never know for sure.

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 29 Mar 2018, 23:23

428cougarguy wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 23:33
I'm betting it is not a Real Eliminator. Probably one of the first "tribute" Eliminators built. It is missing the side "Eliminator" call out, missing the RH mirror, and front spoiler all which are factory options for the Eliminator. Also the black out paint, doesn't look quite correct on the hood grille. Lastly it has a vinyl roof, and wheel lip moldings, which are not correct for Eliminator also. We may never know for sure.
True, but it is also missing the "Cougar" script on the rear quarter and has a rear spoiler. We know it has been repainted, so any / all of those items could have been added or deleted at that time.

I think the most telling item is the lack of the passenger side mirror. If it had one to begin with (as an Eliminator would), then why would you delete it?
But the same could be said of the Cougar rear quarter emblem.

We may never know for sure :-/
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

Cat Bites Man!