XR7 X-code DSO 84

Free Cougar Classifieds! You need to provide three things to list your car here: Price, location, and contact information. It's okay to ask for best offers, but all ads must include an asking price.
HarstenePointe
Registered Member

XR7 X-code DSO 84

Post by HarstenePointe » 24 Feb 2018, 23:08

I have decided to sell the 1968 XR7 with 390-2v that I purchased from the family of the original owner in 2012. This is a black plate car that spent its entire life in Southern California before I brought it to Washington state. This is an extremely original, always adult-owned car that was never “hot rodded” back in the day. I have tons of documentation from the original owner, who was a Ford executive, including dealer invoice, data card, lots of receipts, etc.... In addition to the Deluxe Marti report, I also have the original Eminger invoice.

The car was already in great condition and substantially complete when I Purchased it, but here is a brief summary of the major improvements I have made to the car in the last six years:

- had the original steering wheel refinished by Rimblow Restorations.
- had the original AM/8-track player refurbished by Barry’s 8-track. This is a complete restoration, not just a simple replacement of the drive belt. I also added an MP3 input at that time.
- converted the AC to modern refrigerant.
- installed the LED taillights from WCCC.
- installed a rechromed rear bumper from WCCC.
- removed the factory 2v intake manifold and replaced it with a factory 4v intake and Holley carburetor. At the same time I installed chrome reproduction valve covers and a 1967 GT style air cleaner. Basically, i was cloning a GT. I have all the original parts for a future owner who may want to change it back to stock.
- installed a reproduction GT concours correct dual exhaust from WCCC.
- replaced most of the chrome trim with refurbished pieces from WCCC.
- most recently, I installed a resilvered rear view mirror and purchased the period correct thin-line white wall tires from Diamondback.

In addition to the fairly typical options (console, PS and PB), this car also has a working tilt away steering wheel, cold blowing AC, factory styled steel wheels and comfort weave seats.

I currently own four cougars, including a 1969 XR7 convertible, a 1970 351 4-speed Eliminator and the 1967 XR7 they my father purchased new at Evered Lincoln Mercury in Bellevue, WA when I was five years old. I am selling this amazingly maintained car to make way for a GTE that I just acquired (my wife is tolerant, but four Cougars at a time is her limit).

Most of the recent work on the car was performed by John Benoit at Cascade Classics. The Underhood area was detailed by Jeff Bingaman.

I am a member of the Cascade Cougar Club and this car is a regular prize winner in its division at our annual Prowl.

This is an extremely solid, no rust, (as Don Rush would say) no excuses car. The paint is very close to being perfect, in my opinion. At the moment, I can’t think of anything else the car needs. This is a super fun cruiser which I believe epitomizes what LM was advertising as Untamed Elegance.

I am pricing the car at what I consider to be a reasonable $34,500. When I purchased the car, I promised the family of the original owner that I would properly care for the car. I will be honoring that pledge when I sell the car and hope to find it a worthy new home.

Feel free to PM me here or email chrisbenis @ Hotmail.com. I’ve posted quite a few photos to the Facebook pages, so check that out as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HarstenePointe on 25 Feb 2018, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
67 XR7 Cinnamon Frost - parents bought it new
68 XR7 GTE - red - 428
69 XR7 Convertible Black - 351/4V
70 Std Medium Gold - 351/2V
70 Eliminator Comp Gold - 351/4V 4-speed

7.0 Litre Kid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: XR7 X-code DSO 84

Post by 7.0 Litre Kid » 25 Feb 2018, 09:34

Weren’t these all 2.75 open gears on the X codes?🤓

Good luck on your sale
👀 s like a nice cat.
I saved a couple of the X codes myself, and wonder how they’re doing today !

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 25 Feb 2018, 09:49

7.0 Litre Kid wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 09:34
Weren’t these all 2.75 open gears on the X codes?🤓

Good luck on your sale
👀 s like a nice cat.
I saved a couple of the X codes myself, and wonder how they’re doing today !
Standard gears for non A/C cars with a 9 inch axle. For 68 both S and X code cars could have had them.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

HarstenePointe
Registered Member

Post by HarstenePointe » 25 Feb 2018, 14:52

I just figured out how to add some pics.
67 XR7 Cinnamon Frost - parents bought it new
68 XR7 GTE - red - 428
69 XR7 Convertible Black - 351/4V
70 Std Medium Gold - 351/2V
70 Eliminator Comp Gold - 351/4V 4-speed