Eliminators on the Market (January 2018)

Free Cougar Classifieds! You need to provide three things to list your car here: Price, location, and contact information. It's okay to ask for best offers, but all ads must include an asking price.
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: Eliminators on the Market (January 2018)

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 23 Jan 2018, 18:21

DeadStang wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 23:39
What do we think about this Cougar:

'69 w/ 390, 4-speed. Bright Blue Metallic, Blue Interior. Docs. In OH at Mershons for $39.9k
http://www.mershons.com/vehicle-details ... c905605228
9F91S580679
I sent this to another fellah that had asked about 9F91S580679...

While I have not actually seen the Mershon's '69 Eliminator in person, it does look like a fair restoration and would likely make a nice weekend cruiser that you could take to local shows and not be embarrassed by it :-)

Usually I would expect to see an interior code of 5B - which is the Blue decor interior with high-back bucket seats. I've not seen any recorded as 5BA before though. An extra letter or number would indicate a "trim deviation" during assembly at the factory, and is generally something minor, like a different thickness of vinyl material, or different welt thickness on a seat or other component provided by a supplier, and should not be noticable except under close scrutiny. Since the Marti Report shows the same 5BA as the door tag (which appears to be a reproduction), I would think that the car has a legitimate "trim deviation" of some sort. However, for practical purposes, the interior should appear just like any other blue Eliminator interior.

Looking at the pics from Mershons...
- Fuel door appears to have lost all of its color ~ the crest could use restoration or replacement.
- In the engine bay, the fender bolts were painted when the car was resprayed. Easily fixed, but not a sign of quality workmanship, IMO.
- I believe the firewall in the engine bay should be painted black above the pinch-weld, not body color (this was a production change around Apr 22nd, 1969).
- Front grille does not have the correct Eliminator blackout paint scheme. But some folks like more chrome.
- Very nice to see the correct 1969 high back bucket seats, with the latch half way up the side.
- I believe it has the wrong 1969 Cougar 4-speed shift knob and should be brown plastic with simulated wood grain.
- Looks like it is missing the original / correct exhaust manifold heat shield and snorkel S-tube.
- Missing Smog equipment, but that is pretty typical.
- Hood pins were only available from the factory on R-code / CJ cars, but they were an easy dealer or owner add on and don't really detract from the car.
- In the door jamb, the door striker plate is painted, along with the door switch and various bolts that should be unpainted. Again, poor workmanship, IMO.
- Appears to be the correct 1969 Eliminator rear spoiler, but should be verified (should measure approx 31" between the pedestals).
- Probably reproduction seat covers, which would mean the comfortweave material is not quite the same as original - but looks better than shabby old seat trim.

Pics I have of the car from Jan 2017 indicate that the engine has been repainted since then, as well as a good cleanup done of the engine bay. I also have a pic that shows a small tear in the headliner above the driver's seat.

Really though, the car presents very well in the pictures. I'm mostly nit-picking to give you an idea of things that I see that could be improved on, or used as a bargaining tool ;-)

A few items that should be inspected closer...
- Get a good look or good pics of the black camera case dash panels. These are VERY difficult to find a replacement for. Make sure they aren't just woodgrain XR-7 panels painted black.
- Do your best to determine if the engine and trans are VIN-stamped and original to the car.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

DeadStang
Registered Member

Re: Eliminators on the Market (January 2018)

Post by DeadStang » 23 Jan 2018, 20:28

69428SCJ wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 18:09
DeadStang wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 23:39
What do we think about this Cougar:

'69 w/ 390, 4-speed. Bright Blue Metallic, Blue Interior. Docs. In OH at Mershons for $39.9k
http://www.mershons.com/vehicle-details ... c905605228
9F91S580679
I had a chance to buy that Eliminator a year ago for $25k this time last year. All original minus a repaint and I believe rear bumper. Ran strong, sounded good, well maintained. The original owner died just over a year ago, and then ownership was transferred to the gentleman I spoke with about the car. Mershon's likes to price their cars high, I've been there quite a few times since I used to live not too far from there. I don't know what they paid for it, but I bet there's a pretty nice markup on it.
Funny -- that's the price in my head. Would never happen from a dealer, tho.