Full of Hot Air.. Paxton super charger option ????

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
bob hess
Registered Member

Full of Hot Air.. Paxton super charger option ????

Post by bob hess » 09 Mar 2018, 16:25

I'm hoping to close a deal with a guy that is selling his fathers 67' xr7 .
I'm thinking the guy is being up front , in that he has a bit of a "project" car on his hands. ( dad pulled engine / trans out years ago . And started rust repairs ... but didn't finish any of it ). And really " just wants to get it out of the garage" ( considering the asking price ). All that said , ( and he did NOT make a big deal out of this . But in listing the org. parts that come with the car ) he mentioned a "Paxton " super charger ! The pic. of it clearly reads "cobra" on the carb. dome and one can make out the Paxton name on the small " blower " part.
In pressing him for details about the Paxton , he said it was a Dealer installed item , that his father removed it at some point . And just stored it in a box many years ago. The Marti report did not list any thing like a Paxton "option " . But I'm thinking it just might be for real . In that the Cougar was bought from a Ford- Lincoln- Mercury dealership ( and they could have been doing this upgrade for Cobra/ Shelby owners ).
Original Paxton " dealer option" or not , I like the car at the price and hope to get it soon.

But has any one ever heard of this " Cobra type option " finding it way to any Cougar ?

If he finds his father's paper work on the car , I'll post it for discussion .
Any help with sorting this out , is very much appreciated .( other then the " well any things possible " line , thank you my friends ).

SuperCJcat
Registered Member

Re: Full of Hot Air.. Paxton super charger option ????

Post by SuperCJcat » 09 Mar 2018, 17:05

Cobra lettered air boxes were installed on 65-67 Shelbys. In 1968 Shelby sold over the counter Paxton kits, but with SHELBY lettered air boxes. Paxton sold kits over the counter with PAXTON lettered air boxes. Also it was very rare option on Shelby mustangs with only 11 produced in 66, and 35 in 1967. It could have been dealer installed, but would be as an aftermarket day 2 modification, and highly unlikely unless credible paperwork can prove different.
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG (94.22 KiB) Viewed 441 times
69 SCJ Eliminator
86 SVO
97 Cobra
67 Shelby GT350

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 10 Mar 2018, 05:09

Are these the original owners you are buying the Cougar from, and did they have the dealer install the Paxton when they bought the Cougar?

Or did they take a used Cougar to a dealer and have a Paxton setup installed?

Either way, as SuperCJcat said, there would be paperwork from the dealer including the invoice. All of that stuff would be very important to get with the Cougar and would be fascinating to see - please do post some pictures here.

An original Paxton setup should be worth some good money.

- Phillip

bob hess
Registered Member

Post by bob hess » 11 Mar 2018, 14:05

At this point it looks like I'm dealing with the deceased ( org. owner )father's son. And if this is the real deal ,( the seller IS NOT making a big deal about the Paxton , in any way or form ( ie; saying it's super , super rare and adding $$$$$ to the asking price ). Best case it's a dealer installed item.
My question is : ..... This cant be the only Ford -Lincoln- Mercury dealer in the mid 60's that could have be able to offer / be requested to , do this . Ford made a BIG push ( any one remember the Ford Total Performance / Stage 1,2 & 3 / factory /"off road / racing " catalogs ), to sell " up graded " parts. Many Ford dealerships sponsored Mustangs , Cougars , Torinos etc. at drag strips to get more buyers into the showrooms.

It might be to good to be true , but if so .... could this be the ONLY ( be it dealer installed ) Paxton Super charged Cougar ????? I'm push hard of any and all org. paper work that would shed some more light on the Paxton connection .

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 11 Mar 2018, 14:36

I guess it would depend on the dealership - some specialized in high performance and some probably wouldn't fool with some of that stuff.

Keep us posted.

- Phillip

SuperCJcat
Registered Member

Post by SuperCJcat » 11 Mar 2018, 14:37

The kits were sold over the counter, so it is possible. But keep in mind it was a $550 option on a Shelby. So the odds of a dealer installing a Paxton kit on a car that was not already sold, resulting in a hefty price increase, would be harder to sell and they probably want make money on the installation labor as well. And being Ford/Mercury dealer I would think a performance minded person would have more choices that might have equal performance for less money than an expensive Paxton install. Yes it is possible, such as Jay’s SCJ has documentation of the dual quads and solid cam dealer installed, but without paperwork it’s just an owner modification.
69 SCJ Eliminator
86 SVO
97 Cobra
67 Shelby GT350