1970 Cougar 351C Rebuild

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
The Jugulator
Registered Member

1970 Cougar 351C Rebuild

Post by The Jugulator » 02 Nov 2017, 16:25

Hey everybody, new guy here wanting to get some advice. In the next week or two I'll be buying a 1970 Cougar with a 351C 2-V V-8. It's got around 121k miles on it so I'm planning on doing a rebuild since the guy said it burns a little oil and hasn't been rebuilt. Since I'll be taking it all apart, I figured it'd be a good idea to see what parts I could invest in and replace to get some better performance out of it. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to put on, any new parts. Cams, Carbs, Intakes, everything that I could use to have a bit more fun with it. I'd like to have it to where I can still drive it a few times a week, have it be mainly driven on streets but with enough power to chirp the tires a bit and just have fun. I'm not really looking to make it any kind of drag or specifically track car or anything, just as much power and performance to have the most fun on the streets. Once I've got it I can post about some of the upgrades it's already had such as the disk brake conversion and other things. Also, any recommendations on wheels and tires would be nice since I'm not sure what looks great so far, I've got a 1977 Ford Maverick with American Racing Torq's on there and they look good and I've thought about going with some similar ones for the Cougar, but I'm open to lots of suggestions. Thanks.

Don Rush
Registered Member

Re: 1970 Cougar 351C Rebuild

Post by Don Rush » 02 Nov 2017, 17:24

Clevelands tend to run a little hot, bore them out .030 and it gets worse! Make sure you have this little upgrade and a 3 core 24" wide rad with clutch fan.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/w ... attribs=79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pc6t2Gfvyc&t=74s

The Jugulator
Registered Member

Post by The Jugulator » 02 Nov 2017, 19:48

Thanks, I'm out in california so running hot is a huge problem here, I had to put a 3 core champion radiator in my Maverick just so it wouldn't overheat, and it's only got a 302.

7TXR7
Registered Member

Post by 7TXR7 » 02 Nov 2017, 23:56

Building any engine involves a budget, what is your desired end result and finding a good machine shop. Foundation (good machining) and quality well matched parts is key.

On a Cleveland I would say get a custom ground cam from a person or supplier that specializes in the Cleveland. They are a bit of a different beast as far as lift duration and timing events compared to other small block engines.

A decent set of gears will be in order as well.

I run a 3 core 24" in my Cougar .30 over block and have zero issues with over heating, run a Cleveland specific T stat. Here: https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product-p/tbp-333-xxx.htm
1970 XR7 M-code

R.B.Phillips
Registered Member

Post by R.B.Phillips » 03 Nov 2017, 17:47

I can vouch for the hot running albatross we Cleveland owners wore around our necks! My '71 M-Code was beloved by my dates in arctic upstate NY - because coming out of a movie or restaurant at 2300 on a February night, it made heat for their feet quicker than any car they'd ever been in (their review, not mine!) We just never figured Don's tricks out.

On a few other points: Stay with 9:1 type C.R. See if things can clean up vs. boring .030 over right off. I think KB makes a dished hypereutectic piston that'd work if you have to replace them. Stock oiling system works fine for the street; there are a thousand myths about how to midify the Cleveland oiling around, don't let people scare you, just put a new stock volume oil pump in. Try Lunati's replica of the Cobra Jet cam, http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3029&gid=340 . Degree it and make sure it goes in slightly advanced. Have a trusted shop give the heads a good 7, 5 or even traditional 3-angle valve job and skim cut to true them. Many machinists will know how to go in a bit to clean up under the seat a bit without doing any actual porting. Get some aftermarket stock-weight valves and don't try re-using the 40+ year old factory ones. Bronze valve guides will be needed. The pedestal rockers will work fine for a mild build. Don't go crazy $$ wise with springs; single should do it. The cast iron manifolds flowed OK; skip headers. Everyone wants 4 venturis; I would. So get an an aftermarket manifold made for the 2V ports. Consider painting it Ford blue to keep it sneaky. Holleys will fit under the stock air cleaner as well for that stock look. Make sure you have a snappy centrifugal advance curve that's all in by 2500 or so.

A Cleveland that's conservatively cammed, 4V or 2V, makes power from idle on up and garners a lot of wows when the hood's up!

The Jugulator
Registered Member

Post by The Jugulator » 08 Mar 2018, 01:04

So, I've done a bit of research and looking around and now that I'm finally taking the engine apart and going to pull it out, I need a few recommendations. Here's what I have that I am not completely 100% sure on

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/5 ... attribs=79
This is just because I'm not sure of the reviews and quality of it, and I planned on doing a clutch fan but the 7 blade 428 Clutch fan is 250 and at that point I may as well just do electric for the 100 more. Mainly I'm worried of any major problems or if it's somehow a pain to wire up.

http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/CL3 ... 4294829361
This Cam seems to be fairly popular for cougars from what I read, but a previous post recommended a different one and I'm not sure, as I've never rebuilt an engine or done a lot of work regarding cams.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/ford
I thought about this combo, but I'm open to any 4v carb and intake combo. My brother just put a demon carb and a stealth intake on his 66 mustang and he enjoys it and I was wondering how viable it is on a cougar. His mustang is a 289 just for more info.

I'll also be getting a new stock oil pump, and as for machining I've got no clue, so I'll take it to a shop nearby if I can find a good one. I'll be keeping the 2v heads since its a street build, and I've got no idea as to anything else. It's my first rebuild and my first cleveland, and being 18 I don't have too many friends who happen to work on cars like these. Any recommendations for Pistons, headers, intake manifolds and carbs and any other part I'm missing would be greatly appreciated, along with any links for the parts/products I'd need and any guides to help me out. I'll also be working on brakes and steering but since it's already had a disk brake conversion I'm hoping I'm all good. Thank you in advance for any recommendations and advice.

Edit: I also plan on putting 3.25 gears in the diff, but I'm not sure of whats already in there and the gears I have are for an 8" since I originally planned to put them in my Maverick, but I figure they'd have a better home in the Cougar.

canted 393
Registered Member

Post by canted 393 » 08 Mar 2018, 06:26

Try Brent http://www.lykinsmotorsports.com/
He can do custom carbs [ I have 3 from him] and cams. A 351c is a different animal and a custom cam shaft will make a big difference.
intake manifold, look at an edelbrock rpm airgap
headers, www.fordpowertrain.com,very high quality but spendy.
These are just some suggestions to show you whats out there, good luck. Dan

cj750
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cj750 » 08 Mar 2018, 11:23

Has anyone used a set of these? http://www.stang-aholics.com/i-24187709 ... aders.html

Looks like a reasonable compromise between the hassle of full-length headers and the restriction of 2V manifolds.
Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

1969 Cougar Eliminator 351 4V, yellow
1970 Cougar Eliminator 428SCJ, black

R.B.Phillips
Registered Member

Post by R.B.Phillips » 14 Mar 2018, 11:09

I endorse Canted 393. I don't care for 110 LSA on that otherwise moderate 268 cam, although the lift right at .500 is fine. Lykins seems to be a like mind, so give them a blast and discuss what you're after.

Sacarriker

Post by Sacarriker » 04 Jun 2018, 09:00

Was given a running 351 Cleveland 4 barrel engine with matching c6 tranny still bolted up to it. Friend of mine took it out of a cougar to put in his 69 mach-1. He sold the mach-1 (divorce) and gave me the engine and tranny. I just had my 302 rebuilt with new crank, cam (93 GT mustang grind and comp cam) and roller valve train so I wont be using the motor in my cougar. Not sure what I am going to do with it. I'm told the 4 barrel 351 Cleveland is rare...ish. Should have my Cougar back this week. I'm expecting around 375 to 400 HP. Will probably have to go to a 9" rear end. I'm using the car as a cruiser so the 8" rear end with 272 gear works for me with the c4. 2600 RPM at 75 MPH. I'm going to make it last as long as possible. Anyway, I may decide to get rid of the 351 Cleveland at some point. Would probably look to trade it. One thing I will need in the future is an AOD tranny. I have the 9" rear but would need a 325 gear.
67 cougar standard coupes
Built 302