How to spell (351) Cleveland with a " M"

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
bob hess
Registered Member

Why NO Love for the 400M ( cleveland with a "M")?

Post by bob hess » 15 Sep 2017, 16:07

Hey Guys, Many thanks for all your input .
But unless I miss the point , I'm getting ( 75% ) thumbs down on building a 400 M . Or is my end game flawed ( if this is possible ) : I was hopping to get the low end torque of 400 cid. , compensating for the noted poor street ability of high flow heads ( using 351C or 400M 4 barrel heads ) by using a "hot" street cam , AND a super charger .

------ STILL Not worth the build ????? ------

I'm fine with a 351 W , but would like the added cubes ( Big block fan at heart , but tired of the overall poor handling . Having owned a GT500-KR . GREAT for the 1/4 mile ..... Not so much on a twisting country road .)
And stroking a 351W makes me feel it's just not a good idea to super change it as well .Super charging ANY thing stroked for that matter sounds like I'm asking for trouble . Let alone a 2 bolt main engine to boot .
Sooooooo Am I still missing something ? Like the C & M 351 parts are just too pricy , too hard to find 4 bolt main engines to make it worth the effort ?
etc. ???????

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: How to spell (351) Cleveland with a " M"

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 15 Sep 2017, 17:23

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 15 Sep 2017, 17:25

CleveMand. There, I answered your question.

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

dieselon
Registered Member

Post by dieselon » 22 Nov 2017, 18:45

hay guys
Im new to this forum , but i can tell you this . I have had my 69 XR7 for about 35 years when I put my 351C in , I used the automatic that was in it , after beefing it up . Well , I blew it up finally . My motor is a cleveland 2 bolt main and there is nothing wrong with them . they handle plenty of power . I had it dyne tuned and spits 540 HP . I blueprinted most of it myself . As for the bottom end , the mains are smaller than the windsor block which is less friction . as far as parts go , you can use a stud girdle to stabilize the main , and if your good with making things you can even make your own like I did .I am in the process of putting a TR6 in to replace the automatic .while I'm at it I stripped every nut and bolt out of it , and stripped all paint to bare metal I'm ready to spray with primer surfacer. Thats where I am with my project now . All the sheetmetal is original with no rust .Doing the tranny swap is going to take me a little time .but its worth it for hi way driving .

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 22 Nov 2017, 20:58

Agree, the 351C is not a boat anchor like the 351M / 400.
dieselon wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 18:45
hay guys
Im new to this forum , but i can tell you this . I have had my 69 XR7 for about 35 years when I put my 351C in , I used the automatic that was in it , after beefing it up . Well , I blew it up finally . My motor is a cleveland 2 bolt main and there is nothing wrong with them . they handle plenty of power . I had it dyne tuned and spits 540 HP . I blueprinted most of it myself . As for the bottom end , the mains are smaller than the windsor block which is less friction . as far as parts go , you can use a stud girdle to stabilize the main , and if your good with making things you can even make your own like I did .I am in the process of putting a TR6 in to replace the automatic .while I'm at it I stripped every nut and bolt out of it , and stripped all paint to bare metal I'm ready to spray with primer surfacer. Thats where I am with my project now . All the sheetmetal is original with no rust .Doing the tranny swap is going to take me a little time .but its worth it for hi way driving .
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 24 Nov 2017, 19:01

Royce wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 20:58
Agree, the 351C is not a boat anchor like the 351M / 400.
dieselon wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 18:45
hay guys
Allow me to eduMacate you:

http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=446

http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=471

Read up, watch and let's revisit the "boat anchor" opinion.

katnip302
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by katnip302 » 10 Dec 2017, 16:34

That's good reading material Bob
katnip302