My slow-build '67

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
mo2872
Registered Member

Re: My slow-build '67

Post by mo2872 » 16 Mar 2018, 07:39

Hey, that turned out nice, from where I sit!
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 16 Mar 2018, 08:56

I'm pretty happy. The paint/body work is good. The match is definitely so-so. It'll tide me over until I have the budget for full body work. But in the mean time, I'll get to drive/enjoy it looking a little better than it was.

Matching a 20-30 year old sun baked candy metallic respray seems like it'd be pretty difficult. The paint he mixed up has less red in it, and I kinda prefer that color. I change my mind often, though, so who knows how I'll feel in a couple of years.

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 16 Mar 2018, 10:57

That looks great from the pictures! It may not be a perfect match but it looks alot better then being smashed up! Hey you gotta work within your budget and you still get to drive and enjoy it the way it is. The cool thing is you can drive it without worry of getting road wear on an expensive paint job!
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 16 Mar 2018, 12:27

Good point! I was nervous about bringing it home as I'll have 50 people at the house tonight for an end of season youth hockey party. The thoughts of that many kids running around a freshly painted car...yikes! But now, knowing in the future it will see a full respray, I'm not nearly as nervous. Obviously, I'd prefer nothing happening to it, but in the end, it's just a car, it's just money (did I really say that?) and the car not being "perfect" is a bit more relaxing.

Now I realllllly need to get the interior in order. I'm sensing a large order coming up in a couple of months. Seats, kick panels, dash pad, carpet, etc, etc. That will add so much to the comfort of driving it around.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 26 Mar 2018, 13:56

I started working on replacing the vaccum headlight door actuators with the electric kit. Naturally, I broke one bolt on one actuator, and the other is rusted solid. They've been soaking for a bit with PB blaster now. I've pulled all of the vacuum lines at this point and will just get the other stuff out when I can.

I've straightened out the hood latch a little bit, and the center grill piece. I need to touch up the paint on the center chrome insert. Also straightened the chrome trim that runs on the outside of that piece as well. Easy stuff to do while sitting on the couch in the evening. Yeah, yeah, lipstick on a pig and all that stuff, but every little bit helps.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 30 Apr 2018, 09:25

Man, I watched that West Coast video on installing the electric kit for the hideaway doors. I think I remember the video saying it took them about 2-3 hours to complete. It took me a month!

Ha. The concrete was finally warm enough to roll around on to get under the car, so I finally buttoned up this project yesterday. Other than one gotcha, the rubber dust boot jammed on the driver's side, and the door wouldn't come back down, it went smoothly. A little bit of fine tuning is still required, but right now, it all works. Now I need to do an actual lightning upgrade and get the dash lights working. With that done, I'd feel safe if I happen to be out and about in the evening hours.

I envy those of you that are able to plan and work through a plan on getting your cars in order. Me, I just pick a random project and do it, in no particular order. I do at least try and do things that I know I won't have to remove things down the road in order to complete something else, so I do have that going for me.

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 30 Apr 2018, 11:44

I my missed your update on the paint and hood scoop. I think everything turned out nice.

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 30 Apr 2018, 12:16

Huzer21 wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 09:25
Man, I watched that West Coast video on installing the electric kit for the hideaway doors. I think I remember the video saying it took them about 2-3 hours to complete. It took me a month!

Ha. The concrete was finally warm enough to roll around on to get under the car, so I finally buttoned up this project yesterday. Other than one gotcha, the rubber dust boot jammed on the driver's side, and the door wouldn't come back down, it went smoothly. A little bit of fine tuning is still required, but right now, it all works. Now I need to do an actual lightning upgrade and get the dash lights working. With that done, I'd feel safe if I happen to be out and about in the evening hours.

I envy those of you that are able to plan and work through a plan on getting your cars in order. Me, I just pick a random project and do it, in no particular order. I do at least try and do things that I know I won't have to remove things down the road in order to complete something else, so I do have that going for me.
I think the worst part is getting the vacuum actuators out of the car. since you need to disassembly the headlight assembly's to do so. I changed my mind on running the vacuum for a bit and decided after getting the headlights back in the car to ditch the vacuum. So I disassembled and reassembled the headlight with it on the car which did kinda suck. I have not ordered the electronic setup yet since Im thinking about building my own but that should be easier to install in the car vs getting the actuators out.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 30 Apr 2018, 14:59

DieselD wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:16
I think the worst part is getting the vacuum actuators out of the car. since you need to disassembly the headlight assembly's to do so. I changed my mind on running the vacuum for a bit and decided after getting the headlights back in the car to ditch the vacuum. So I disassembled and reassembled the headlight with it on the car which did kinda suck. I have not ordered the electronic setup yet since Im thinking about building my own but that should be easier to install in the car vs getting the actuators out.
Removal was indeed the bigger task in this project. Everything else was just a couple of electrical connections and bolting things into place, especially with the ease of the kit.

Huzer21
Registered Member

Post by Huzer21 » 30 Apr 2018, 15:00

1967 S Code wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 11:44
I my missed your update on the paint and hood scoop. I think everything turned out nice.

Steven
It's coming around. I look forward to the day I can take care of all of the body on the car. That's a ways off, though, so for now, I'll just enjoy the ride!