Fuel System Resto

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
relentless
Registered Member

Fuel System Resto

Post by relentless » 24 Mar 2014, 15:19

I have began the process of replacing my fuel tank, tank to pump lines, fuel pump, and line from fuel pump to carburetor. This is the first time I have been able to get under the car and I was shocked at how rusty and crusty everything looks on the underside. I started at the tank and it was awful what drained out after sitting 13 years. I actually had to poke the drain with a screwdriver to get the gunky turpentiney liquid to drain out. Once drained I unplugged the fuel gauge sending unit, disconnected the fuel line and pulled the tank. Take a look at the sending unit!!

The tank has seen better days.

There is some rust that needs to be addressed, but the only rust that went all the way through the trunk area was on the driver's side.

Another view after cleaning the perimeter of the tank mounting area.

Then I turned my attention on removing the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump. This was a nightmare as there was a ton of dirt on the bottom of the car that kept falling in my face. Around the rear side of the transmission pan the metal fuel line ended, then there was a section of rubber fuel line, then back to metal up to the fuel pump. Can anyone advise me on whether this car should have a single metal line running from the tank to the fuel pump? This is an early '67 Cougar, as the owner's manual shows that it was put in service on Jan 25, 1967.

In the meantime I am removing parts in the engine bay so I can get to the fuel pump. Of course the car is fighting me every inch of the way, but I have the radiator out and ready for a rod and core job. I have read that the fuel pump can be removed from below, but is this possible on a 390 GT with power steering and A/C? I couldn't see any way the pump was accessible from below and I need to pull all the accessories and R&R them anyway.

68PUMA
Registered Member

Re: Fuel System Resto

Post by 68PUMA » 24 Mar 2014, 21:01

relentless wrote:Then I turned my attention on removing the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump. This was a nightmare as there was a ton of dirt on the bottom of the car that kept falling in my face. Around the rear side of the transmission pan the metal fuel line ended, then there was a section of rubber fuel line, then back to metal up to the fuel pump. Can anyone advise me on whether this car should have a single metal line running from the tank to the fuel pump?
No, the fuel line shouldn't be a single metal line. The rubber fuel line is there to connect the front and rear fuel lines together because a part of the front fuel line runs through a front and rear hole on the drivers side torque box to the rubber line. John
1968 XR7 F-Code (302-2V), C4, Polar White (M), Dark Red Leather (6D), 23U, 46, 5, W, PS, A/C, CCOA #8579, MACC, Under Restoration

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 24 Mar 2014, 22:56

I think that early '67's have the fuel line routed in the transmission tunnel like the brake line. For some reason I think it is a one piece line in that area. Maybe the guys from WCCC can chime in.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

68PUMA
Registered Member

Post by 68PUMA » 25 Mar 2014, 06:53

Hmm, sorry about that. I just found my '67 shop manual and they don't even have a drawing for the fuel line for the Cougar but have one for the Mustang and it appears to be 1 single line with the rubber hose connected at the end of the line in the front and then the hose connecting to the fuel pump. John
1968 XR7 F-Code (302-2V), C4, Polar White (M), Dark Red Leather (6D), 23U, 46, 5, W, PS, A/C, CCOA #8579, MACC, Under Restoration

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 25 Mar 2014, 10:31

relentless wrote:This is an early '67 Cougar, as the owner's manual shows that it was put in service on Jan 25, 1967.
Maybe it is an early car, maybe not. The date it was put into service is the date it was sold, not the date it was built. It could have sat on the dealers lot for 1 day or for several months. We would need the date code off the door data tag to know when it was scheduled to be built. Or the information off the Marti report to have the actual date. Keep in mind that automotive production started in August of 1966 for the 1967 model year cars. Production does not run on the calendar year.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

relentless
Registered Member

Post by relentless » 25 Mar 2014, 13:44

Thank you all for your responses. I'll do some more investigation to make sure I order the correct fuel line(s).