So here's my original post from my introduction thread!
So, to clarify my goal here...I'm looking to build a daily driver capable (for me...I've learned my tolerance level is higher than most others lol) restomod with a serious amount of kick. I'll work on the drivetrain and general interior first, moving on to completing the exterior as things continue. That said I'll probably do little, inexpensive things on the exterior myself throughout the process...like basic smoothing of the body and the like. I know that's semi backwards...but I want the car drivable asap, so I don't lose interest!! I've never completed a project that I worked on that wasn't drivable lol. I doubt that's changed much in the last few years =p.CrisAnderson27 wrote:Hello there!
Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name's Cris, and while I'm new here, I'm not exactly what you'd call new to Ford products, or Mercury for that matter, lol. My first car was a 1970 Cougar (base model with a Cleveland 2v), and my second was a 1967 XR-7 GT. From there I've owned a string of Mustangs (all 67's except one 82 SSP 5.0), and have finally come back around to picking up another Cougar. This time around I found a 1968 XR-7 for a semi reasonable price (actually I got it in trade for a motorcycle lol), and just couldn't pass it up. There's a couple of very small rust spots, and a slightly dented right lower quarter (looks like a tire blowout). The driver's side is wavy, but the passenger side is pretty straight. Most importantly though...it seems to be all there, if in pieces. My goal for it is a daily drivable, mid 10 second (naturally aspirated...no power adders for this guy) quarter mile capable restomod. Power will come from a 302 based setup, transferred through a t5 transmission to the Versailles 9" that came with the car. The drivetrain will be built in stages, with a stock bottom end late model 302 being the first transplant. I'm going to attempt to keep the car understated and clean inside and out, with the exception of the cage, wheels and tires, and possibly an 82 5.0 GT hood scoop (similar to an Eliminator scoop, but a bit smaller I think).
Anyhow, here's a couple pictures of what I'm starting with. If you guys like and are interested...I'll see about documenting the build here (unless there's a section for that kind of thing?). This isn't the first older car of this type I've built, but it'll be the first Cougar I've built since I was 17, and I'm really looking forward to it!
Door tag. It appears my car was a 302 2v powered XR-7 in Augusta green, built in Dearborn, with a C4 and Dark Ivy Gold leather/vinyl? It doesn't have a floor console, and the upper console is a very small one (no pictures of the interior yet).
Front view. You can see some of the waves on the driver's side. Bodywork isn't my strong suit, and will probably be the most frustrating part for me...well, assuming there's no wiring issues, lol.
Back side. You can see more ripples on the driver's side. I remember from my first Cougar that those compound curves are REALLY fun to get straight lol.
Interesting tidbit...as I said, the car came with a 9" disc brake rear end (front discs too). It also came with a 'rebuilt' (we have yet to see the truth here) DOAE 351W. For me though, the big Windsor is a boat anchor...so it will be sold or traded off pretty quickly.
So there we have it. I should be able to get some more pictures this weekend, and will go through and document all of what came with the car. Like I said, if you guys are interested in following along, I'm more than happy to share. For now though, I'll leave you with a couple links to the last older car I built (67 Mustang) so you can see a bit more what's in store for this one. I never did get to completely finish that car (it never got painted or the interior finished etc)...but it did eventually fulfill its mid 10 second goals I set for it. This one I'm going to do a bit differently...with the interior, exterior, and low 11 second stock shortblock timeslips getting equal attention. Once all of that is done, I'll be able to better concentrate on setting the motor on 'kill', and aiming for low/mid 10's .
Thanks for reading, and here's those links!
The car: http://www.streetfire.net/profile/blackbulletracing.htm
And a boatload of pictures sharing how I built it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3339324/1 ... o-gallery/
So, to list the basic stages I'm looking at for the drivetrain:
The first build will be a stock roller 302 shortblock with 225cc TFS High Port heads and a custom cam to tell them how to work together properly. Compression should be near 10:1 (including the gasket, valve relief, and ring lands). I'll be running a 750 Race Demon on either a Super Victor, or a Victor Jr intake. The transmission will be whatever T5 I can get ahold of for a reasonable price...but my goal will be to find a face plated (meaning non-synchro 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) T5 or Tremec. Rear gears will be 4.11's or 4.30's with either a spool, or mechanical locker of some type. The goal is N/A high 10's. I will be fiddling with a fuel injection on this motor in prep for the bigger motor later.
The second motor is going to be much more fun. The heads will go back to TEA for a 240cc port job. The short block will be a dart unit with a 3.55" stroke, and 4.2" bore for 393ci (gotta love the 6.5 litre badges!). The fuel injection should be complete by this time as well.
I'm hoping to get the car at least drivable by summer lol. Wish me luck!...I'll probably need it =p.