68 XR-7 Restomod Build

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
CrisAnderson27
Registered Member

68 XR-7 Restomod Build

Post by CrisAnderson27 » 03 Feb 2014, 00:25

Hey guys! So, I figured I'd continue the discussion of my new project over here, lol. But, rather than type it all out, or link the post...I figured I'd just quote it.

So here's my original post from my introduction thread!
CrisAnderson27 wrote:Hello there!

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name's Cris, and while I'm new here, I'm not exactly what you'd call new to Ford products, or Mercury for that matter, lol. My first car was a 1970 Cougar (base model with a Cleveland 2v), and my second was a 1967 XR-7 GT. From there I've owned a string of Mustangs (all 67's except one 82 SSP 5.0), and have finally come back around to picking up another Cougar. This time around I found a 1968 XR-7 for a semi reasonable price (actually I got it in trade for a motorcycle lol), and just couldn't pass it up. There's a couple of very small rust spots, and a slightly dented right lower quarter (looks like a tire blowout). The driver's side is wavy, but the passenger side is pretty straight. Most importantly though...it seems to be all there, if in pieces. My goal for it is a daily drivable, mid 10 second (naturally aspirated...no power adders for this guy) quarter mile capable restomod. Power will come from a 302 based setup, transferred through a t5 transmission to the Versailles 9" that came with the car. The drivetrain will be built in stages, with a stock bottom end late model 302 being the first transplant. I'm going to attempt to keep the car understated and clean inside and out, with the exception of the cage, wheels and tires, and possibly an 82 5.0 GT hood scoop (similar to an Eliminator scoop, but a bit smaller I think).

Anyhow, here's a couple pictures of what I'm starting with. If you guys like and are interested...I'll see about documenting the build here (unless there's a section for that kind of thing?). This isn't the first older car of this type I've built, but it'll be the first Cougar I've built since I was 17, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Door tag. It appears my car was a 302 2v powered XR-7 in Augusta green, built in Dearborn, with a C4 and Dark Ivy Gold leather/vinyl? It doesn't have a floor console, and the upper console is a very small one (no pictures of the interior yet).

Front view. You can see some of the waves on the driver's side. Bodywork isn't my strong suit, and will probably be the most frustrating part for me...well, assuming there's no wiring issues, lol.

Back side. You can see more ripples on the driver's side. I remember from my first Cougar that those compound curves are REALLY fun to get straight lol.

Interesting tidbit...as I said, the car came with a 9" disc brake rear end (front discs too). It also came with a 'rebuilt' (we have yet to see the truth here) DOAE 351W. For me though, the big Windsor is a boat anchor...so it will be sold or traded off pretty quickly.

So there we have it. I should be able to get some more pictures this weekend, and will go through and document all of what came with the car. Like I said, if you guys are interested in following along, I'm more than happy to share. For now though, I'll leave you with a couple links to the last older car I built (67 Mustang) so you can see a bit more what's in store for this one. I never did get to completely finish that car (it never got painted or the interior finished etc)...but it did eventually fulfill its mid 10 second goals I set for it. This one I'm going to do a bit differently...with the interior, exterior, and low 11 second stock shortblock timeslips getting equal attention. Once all of that is done, I'll be able to better concentrate on setting the motor on 'kill', and aiming for low/mid 10's :).

Thanks for reading, and here's those links!

The car: http://www.streetfire.net/profile/blackbulletracing.htm
And a boatload of pictures sharing how I built it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3339324/1 ... o-gallery/

Thanks again!

Cris
So, to clarify my goal here...I'm looking to build a daily driver capable (for me...I've learned my tolerance level is higher than most others lol) restomod with a serious amount of kick. I'll work on the drivetrain and general interior first, moving on to completing the exterior as things continue. That said I'll probably do little, inexpensive things on the exterior myself throughout the process...like basic smoothing of the body and the like. I know that's semi backwards...but I want the car drivable asap, so I don't lose interest!! I've never completed a project that I worked on that wasn't drivable lol. I doubt that's changed much in the last few years =p.

So, to list the basic stages I'm looking at for the drivetrain:

The first build will be a stock roller 302 shortblock with 225cc TFS High Port heads and a custom cam to tell them how to work together properly. Compression should be near 10:1 (including the gasket, valve relief, and ring lands). I'll be running a 750 Race Demon on either a Super Victor, or a Victor Jr intake. The transmission will be whatever T5 I can get ahold of for a reasonable price...but my goal will be to find a face plated (meaning non-synchro 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) T5 or Tremec. Rear gears will be 4.11's or 4.30's with either a spool, or mechanical locker of some type. The goal is N/A high 10's. I will be fiddling with a fuel injection on this motor in prep for the bigger motor later.

The second motor is going to be much more fun. The heads will go back to TEA for a 240cc port job. The short block will be a dart unit with a 3.55" stroke, and 4.2" bore for 393ci (gotta love the 6.5 litre badges!). The fuel injection should be complete by this time as well.

I'm hoping to get the car at least drivable by summer lol. Wish me luck!...I'll probably need it =p.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: 68 XR-7 Restomod Build

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 03 Feb 2014, 10:48

I probably said the same thing where you first posted but IMO you should keep the 351W and build it! (In my best Foghorn Leghorn voice) I say, I say, 50 cubes for free ain't nothing to turn your nose up at son!
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

CrisAnderson27
Registered Member

Post by CrisAnderson27 » 03 Feb 2014, 12:10

1969XR7Vert wrote:I probably said the same thing where you first posted but IMO you should keep the 351W and build it! (In my best Foghorn Leghorn voice) I say, I say, 50 cubes for free ain't nothing to turn your nose up at son!
Ahh, 50 cubes is nice for sure :). But an additional 100ish slow revving pounds on the nose of an already slow reacting car is more than I'm willing to trade for them, lol. Besides, I like the idea of keeping the same kind of block the car was built with in it, and still meeting my performance goals :D. The look on LSx guys faces when they get spanked by a naturally aspirated 302 based motor is always priceless!

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 03 Feb 2014, 12:26

Sounds fair Cris! You will probably be able to sell the 351W fairly easily if you want to. I have two as part of my "stuff" already...
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Feb 2014, 15:10

Chris, I was watching this one on CL. I think you have a keeper there for sure. Not rusty in the way that only Arizona cars can be. It looked interesting with the 351 and a nine inch with rear discs... Even better the way you want to build it.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

CrisAnderson27
Registered Member

Post by CrisAnderson27 » 03 Feb 2014, 16:25

Thanks guys!

The 351 is on CL now, but a guy just called with a clean 86 shortblock, and I'll probably trade straight across.

So I went through some of the parts included with the car today. Making sense of it all is going to be a chore for sure, lol. Lots of bolts (only some bagged and none labeled), and it looks like some of the parts are still missing, though I haven't been through everything just yet. Overall the car is both more, and less than I expected. The frame is straight...probably the straightest I've ever seen on a car this old. The subframe 'tubing' is clean and square, without the dents you typically see in these cars from being improperly jacked up etc. As I mentioned though the body is pretty wavy...and there is a small amount of rust in the rear quarters/wheelwells. Its looking like I'm going to be needing new interior panels, dash pad, headliner, sun visors, and of course a complete reupholster job. I've got 72 pieces of metal and plastic that look like they go to the dash assembly, none that I'd rate even a 4 as far as condition goes. I've got heat/ac vents and pieces all over the place in the boxes and crates that came with the car, lol. It also looks like I have sometimes two or three pieces of the same trim, and none of another.

Overall, like I said...its going to be interesting. Even inventorying the parts on hand is going to be a chore.

Anyhow though...here's some pictures for you guys, documenting the condition and some of the parts that came with it. When I get time this week, I'm going to try to separate everything, and get things broken up into segments of the car and hopefully labeled.

Anyone willing to come do this part for me? Lol =p.

Straight...

Not so straight...and I can't seem to find the nose section where the little Mercury guy goes...even though I do have the trim piece, lol.

Seriously, the car's straight underneath. Like I said...the straightest I've ever seen myself.

Headlight bucket area. The vacuum operated headlight doors still seem to seal. I'll be switching to the electric versions asap though.

Radiator/ac parts, and some of the badging I was able to find.

Engine compartment and the 351.

Dirty and dusty, but overall pretty well intact it seems. Excepting the obvious brake hardware of course.

Interior. Aside from taking everything out and sorting/inventorying it...does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about restoring the inside? I've honestly never started with a car that was in this poor of shape on the inside...so it appears just a bit overwhelming.

And...what's in the trunk, lol. What a mess!!

So, there we have it! That's what all came with the car. I think it was worth the $2500 I got for it in trade, but I'm thinking it'll cost at least double that just to put the interior back together, lol.

Guess we'll see :D.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 03 Feb 2014, 16:36

I can identify pretty much anything Cougar. Aren't you in the west valley? I am in Cave Creek.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

CrisAnderson27
Registered Member

Post by CrisAnderson27 » 03 Feb 2014, 16:59

xr7g428 wrote:I can identify pretty much anything Cougar. Aren't you in the west valley? I am in Cave Creek.
Yes, west valley...near the stadium actually.

Thanks by the way...good to know there's a knowledgeable resource relatively close lol. The last Cougar I touched was pretty much 22yrs ago...and while a Mustang is very similar, its definitely not the same!

I do have a couple of quick questions for you guys though. First, with the difference in wheelbase, do Mustang subframe connectors still fit on a Cougar? Also, does anyone know offhand what the wheel mount face to wheel mount face of the Versailles/Granada rear end is (Edit~ just read it's 58.5"), versus a typical 8" or 9" in a 68 Cougar (Edit ~ just read its 59.25")? I found some really cool slotted mags on eBay, but I'm thinking that unless the 9" in my car is substantially narrower than the factory rear end...they won't work, lol.

CrisAnderson27
Registered Member

Post by CrisAnderson27 » 07 Feb 2014, 22:54

Well, I got some time today to at least clean out the inside of the car some. Most of the parts were there like I was told, however I did find at least one nasty surprise.

Kind of a crappy shock...but once I got the pile of parts out of the car, and saw the 50 kinds of mold on the carpet, I really wasn't surprised. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised that that's the worst of it really. The other floor panels have surface rot, but they're solid enough (so far...carpet's coming out tomorrow).

Here's the rear floor boards.

Anyhow, hopefully that's my worst surprise during the build.

On to better news...I picked up a 5.0HO off Craigslist today for $500. The gentleman selling it said he inherited it from a nephew who bought a project and lost interest. He was going to put it in his Jeep...but then HE lost interest (runs in the family it seems, lol). It also came with a BBK H-pipe. I figure between the headers and the h-pipe...I should be able to make most of the money back on the motor.

In closing, I'll leave you guys with a short walk around video. I like to take them to remind me how far I've come when my momentum slows on a project, lol. So far they've never failed to help me remotivate and finish things out :).

http://youtu.be/EBFi8HxLR14

brianthelion02
Registered Member

Post by brianthelion02 » 07 Feb 2014, 23:20

What wheels are on that car,looks like you have 5 or 6 of them!! Cant wait to watch this come together! I am in the same boat as you on the interior,dang az sun!!
1968 std cougar