Special Valve Cover Decals

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Re: Special Valve Cover Decals

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 23 Dec 2013, 19:41

xr7g428 wrote:The stickers look great Bob. Lets see how well they hold up. On a different topic, why don't you build the 408 on a stand and swap motors? You would need a core motor, but they are cheap and available.
That's always been the plan! The new block (also a D0AE) is at the machine shop awaiting boring. Half-fill of Hard Blok is already done and the block is cleaned up.

Two stickers installed on the Scion xA (my daily driver) a little while ago, will report on how they hold up.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

cougar2
Registered Member

Post by cougar2 » 23 Dec 2013, 23:03

1969XR7Vert wrote:
xr7g428 wrote:The stickers look great Bob. Lets see how well they hold up. On a different topic, why don't you build the 408 on a stand and swap motors? You would need a core motor, but they are cheap and available.
That's always been the plan! The new block (also a D0AE) is at the machine shop awaiting boring. Half-fill of Hard Blok is already done and the block is cleaned up.

Two stickers installed on the Scion xA (my daily driver) a little while ago, will report on how they hold up.
What is the reason for filling the block with Hard blok, would this not cause the engine to over heat lacking in cooling? I know that only half the block if filled, but that is half the cooling as well.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 24 Dec 2013, 05:14

The fill is for strengthening the cylinders, Cleveland's are one of the first thin-wall casting technology blocks.

Half the cooling? One might think that but read on. Most of the heat is in the top of the cylinder where the combustion takes place. My current block is filled the same way and cools just fine in 100 degree heat with the AC running! I do use a brass four core radiator though.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

cougar2
Registered Member

Post by cougar2 » 24 Dec 2013, 08:35

1969XR7Vert wrote:The fill is for strengthening the cylinders, Cleveland's are one of the first thin-wall casting technology blocks.

Half the cooling? One might think that but read on. Most of the heat is in the top of the cylinder where the combustion takes place. My current block is filled the same way and cools just fine in 100 degree heat with the AC running! I do use a brass four core radiator though.
Thanks Bob, that is good to know.