Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Steve68Cougar » 12 Aug 2018, 16:52

Took it out for a little spin again this morning and took the opportunity to snap a picture:

I almost didn't get close enough!  You've got to get a little closer than when the filler is on the side of the car.  It definitely feels like the caster/camber needs to get set.  I also need to figure out how far off my speedometer is.  I'm sure it was significantly slow, as I went from a 25.7" tire to a 27.1" tire.  I don't remember if I ever got things changed over when I went from the 3.50 gear to the 3.70 gear, either.  Oh well, at least it's a pretty easy fix (even if I have to pull the tailshaft).
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

JETEXAS
Registered Member

Post by JETEXAS » 13 Aug 2018, 11:55

What material and adhesive did you use on the dash pad to create the Bullit effect?

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 13 Aug 2018, 15:16

JETEXAS wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 11:55
What material and adhesive did you use on the dash pad to create the Bullit effect?
It's a vinyl wrap material. If you Google "holographic small engine turned vinyl" there are numerous places that have it. It's a bit of a PITA to work with. It doesn't stretch very well, so following the contours takes some finesse. I just cleaned up the dash pad and stuck it on for most of it, but added a little bit of RTV silicone where it had to stretch and spread out the adhesive. I've been trying to do it without being completely permanent, as the pad is in really nice shape and just not the right color (light green). I had contemplated painting it black, but have held off from doing that. I'd rather trade someone for one that's already black that needs a light green a/c pad. I've got enough material left over that I may try laying it down one more time to get a couple of imperfections out of it.

On a side note, be careful with the clips if you take the dash pad off. I don't think they make reproduction ones of them and cost about $10 per piece if you have to buy them. With a total of 17 required, the dollar amount adds up pretty fast.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

JETEXAS
Registered Member

Post by JETEXAS » 13 Aug 2018, 15:37

I have a couple big cracks in mine, so I'm looking for a solution that will make it look nicer. The one on my 67 was only held on with screws around the edges, so if there were ever clips, they're already long gone.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 13 Aug 2018, 15:48

'67's had screws instead of clips, so what you have is stock. If you do go the route of vinyl then I would suggest getting enough so you can play around with it a number of times. I had mine cut to shape, but it wasn't really necessary. You also have to be really careful with a heat gun with the holographic/metallic vinyl. It's easy to distort it and make it look funky.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 18 Aug 2018, 17:52

I didn't take pictures of it, but today I changed out all of the bushings in the rear suspension. I used polyurethane in the front and stock replacement rubber in the rear.  It wasn't too bad of a job. To get the front ones out I drilled through the rubber for clearance then used an air chisel to get the steel outer case pushed out. It worked quite well.  Afterward I took my wife out for her first ride in it.  We went to a local coffee shop and got some smoothies. We made it up and back without issues.  Here it is parked at the coffee shop:
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 12 Sep 2018, 19:38

It was 30 years ago this evening that my dad and I got my Cougar running for the first time.  We were frantically trying to get it running for my 16th birthday.  We managed to get it running sometime after midnight, so my first legal (non-restricted license) drive was in this car.  I pulled it out tonight and checked a few things over before I take it for a front end alignment tomorrow afternoon.

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 13 Sep 2018, 23:15

I got the car aligned today, and while they put everything within their specs, I'm not convinced (based on some reading) that it's really ideal for my radial tire setup.  It'll be good enough for now.  I'll do more research the next time I get it aligned and take in my own measurements.  I did manage to take it out and got a few more shots of it somewhere other than my driveway.  Here's a few:

​​​​​​​
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

PacificaXR7GT
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT » 18 Sep 2018, 00:17

The vinyl top delete looks sharp! Hope to get my cat looking that good sometime soon...
Steve
CCOA #9998
1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - Augusta Green / Dark Ivy Gold

PacificaXR7GT
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT » 18 Sep 2018, 00:28

Hey, you should submit some photos for the WCCC calendar contest. Your pictures look great!
Steve
CCOA #9998
1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - Augusta Green / Dark Ivy Gold