Sprucing up a '68 Cougar

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
mfc133
Registered Member

Re: Sprucing up a '68 Cougar

Post by mfc133 » 06 Nov 2017, 19:49

Hi all, it's been some time since the last update but things are moving along as free time permits. The cougar is officially garaged for the winter, so I finally started tearing into the front suspension. Pulled all the power assist components (and anything that was in the way), and sent all of it to stangerssite for rebuild/blast/repaint.

Since I had one of the manifolds off anyway, I figured I would try my hand at cleaning them up/painting. I used an angle grinder with a couple wire brush attachments to remove most of the rust. Then I used Eastwood's hi-temp cast gray paint on them, applied with a foam brush and they came out pretty good. I'm thinking about trying their brush-on engine paint next so I can touch up the block/heads without pulling the motor.
-Mike

1968 Cougar Standard, 302 4V, auto, Madras Blue

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 07 Nov 2017, 17:41

mfc133 wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 19:49
Hi all, it's been some time since the last update but things are moving along as free time permits. The cougar is officially garaged for the winter, so I finally started tearing into the front suspension. Pulled all the power assist components (and anything that was in the way), and sent all of it to stangerssite for rebuild/blast/repaint.

Since I had one of the manifolds off anyway, I figured I would try my hand at cleaning them up/painting. I used an angle grinder with a couple wire brush attachments to remove most of the rust. Then I used Eastwood's hi-temp cast gray paint on them, applied with a foam brush and they came out pretty good. I'm thinking about trying their brush-on engine paint next so I can touch up the block/heads without pulling the motor.
The manifolds look great. How are the reviews on the Eastwood paint? Does it hold up well?
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 07 Nov 2017, 21:04

1967 S Code wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 17:41
The manifolds look great. How are the reviews on the Eastwood paint? Does it hold up well?
Steven
Reviews were pretty good so I figured I'd give it a shot. The final heat cure happens when you run the engine up to operating temp. It's not a paint-over-rust so it does need good surface prep to stick, but after the final cure it should be very durable.
-Mike

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 08 Nov 2017, 07:32

The paint method is just temporary and won't last more than a year, maybe more depend how much you drive the car and in what conditions. If you want lasting results you need to have them ceramic coated.
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 08 Nov 2017, 13:13

BossElim69 wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 07:32
The paint method is just temporary and won't last more than a year, maybe more depend how much you drive the car and in what conditions. If you want lasting results you need to have them ceramic coated.
mfc133 wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 21:04

Reviews were pretty good so I figured I'd give it a shot. The final heat cure happens when you run the engine up to operating temp. It's not a paint-over-rust so it does need good surface prep to stick, but after the final cure it should be very durable.
I like the idea of painting but ceramic coating might be the way to go for me.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

1968 XR7-G

1968 XR7-G Hertz

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

wish
Registered Member

Post by wish » 09 Nov 2017, 07:35

I had really good luck with the paint that has ceramic in it on manifolds (I think what I used was VHT branded). That same paint is nearly useless on headers. I suspect the rate/amount of expansion works better with the ceramic on the cast iron than it does the steel tubes, though it was enough years between applications that they may've changed the formula too.
Just my $.02
wish
69 Cougar, That 70s Truck, 84 Cherokee Chief 2dr, 88 Grand Wagoneer, 95 Grand Cherokee,96 Mustang

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 09 Nov 2017, 09:33

Yeah I'm not expecting this stuff to last 10 years, but if it keeps the manifolds looking nice for a while until I get around to putting headers on I'll be happy. The car never sees weather and only gets driven occasionally.
-Mike

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 12 Jan 2018, 10:52

Quick update since my last post.

Finally got all my power steering components back from Randy at stangerssite. It took a while, but Randy was honest with me about the delay and the finished product looks really good:

While I was waiting for the p/s parts I started some work on the motor. Removing the front brackets/pulleys for powdercoating, removing the water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer. As I remove parts off the motor I've been touching it up with the brush-on engine paint. With the exhaust manifolds and front accessories off you can actually get pretty good access to the motor for painting. After I painted the sides of the block I put the new starter in. I also used the paint on the new water pump, t-stat housing and oil sender extension that are to be installed.

-Mike

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 22 Feb 2018, 12:29

Ok lots of progress to catch up on:
  • Finished painting the motor, got water pump, thermostat, oil pressure switch installed.
  • After a fail from rock auto I sent my original harmonic balancer to damperdudes.net for rebuild and got that installed.
  • Pulled the distributor, cleaned it up and put on new cap hold-downs and vacuum advance.
  • New trans cooler lines, this was a battle since there is almost no room to tighten down the fittings on the transmission side.
  • Put the rebuilt steering box back in, then exhaust manifolds and heat riser.
  • Got all the accessory brackets powdercoated semi-gloss black, put the rebuilt p/s pump back on.
  • New export brace, luckily did not have shock tower sag so it went on pretty easy.
  • New alternator, harness and voltage regulator (another fail from rock auto, alt. is clocked wrong but still fit ok).
  • I was able to move the coil to the cylinder head, freeing up room to install a fuel line hookup kit with filter to the carb. The setup I had before was hokey and had the fuel hose laying on the intake manifold, probably not helping with my warm start issues last summer.
  • Got the valve covers and air cleaner powdercoated. Everyone's ford engine blue is a bit different but it's a close enough match that it looks OK.
  • New radiator hoses and water valve. Moving the coil allowed me to route these a bit neater too.
  • Lastly I got the center link with rebuilt control valve and power ram installed. I'm glad I did the big block hose routing, but rock auto let me down yet again. Their hoses were not a great fit at all, took a lot of massaging to get them on and not hitting the pitman arm.

-Mike

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 22 Feb 2018, 19:22

Everything is looking good. It's cool to see everything coming together.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

1968 XR7-G

1968 XR7-G Hertz