Reviling the "DPO"

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: Reviling the "DPO"

Post by CATHOUSE » 15 Aug 2018, 07:50

Ford used the same single piston caliper on a lot of cars built from 1968-1973, possibly later too. The bigger issue would be what spindles you have. The 68-9 spindles use different bearings than the 1970-up.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

stonesg
Registered Member

Post by stonesg » 19 Aug 2018, 11:45

So today we've gotten the car up on jack stands and a tarp under to both keep the moisture down and have something other than grass/dirt to lay on.

Oil was drained and I'm happy to see that nothing but dirty oil came out. New filter and 5 qts of cheapo STP 10w30 are in.

Back wheels are off and I got one drum off with no problem. The drivers side is stuck on the hub but I'm spraying it with penetrent and letting it sit. If it doesn't start to move, I'll apply heat next.

I haven't touched the brake pedal and I want the drums and calipers off before I do to see if anything sticks.

First bling for the motor. I was going to just buy another stock fuel pump but I figured what the heck... might as well buy what I'd want to be there once I'm finished and be done with it:

Mr. Gasket/Holly 80GPH

An after pulling the carb studs and cleaning/chasing them and the nuts here's the 4160 back in place.

Call me crazy but, knowing that the gas tank and fuel line can only have crappy goo in it (and the tank is going to be replaced) I've got the fuel pump plumbed currently to the windshield washer bottle. It appears to be the same type of plastic that will be gas resistant and I only need enough gas to start the motor up and possibly, if it moves, drive the car into the garage.

Next up, spin the motor with the starter to clear some of the oil from the cylinders and till I see oil pressure and oil at the rockers.

Then I'll replace the distributor cap, fix the power wire for the coil which is broken, check for spark, verify firing order and install new plugs.

It's stinking hot/humid so that's all for today...
'67 standard basket case

stonesg
Registered Member

Post by stonesg » 15 Apr 2019, 16:40

'67 standard basket case