74" XR7 Roof Chrome trim over the doors removal

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
Hailstorm

74" XR7 Roof Chrome trim over the doors removal

Post by Hailstorm » 04 Aug 2018, 19:18

New guy here. Last week bought a 74 Cougar and it needs a little help. I need to get the vinyl cover off the roof and repair the cancer. I can't figure out how to remove the drip rail. I pulled back the head liner a bit and just can't figure it out. Is it apart of the rubber seal for the window? that looks like it is glued into place.

Once I get it off and cleaned up. Sand blasting and figuring out how to repair the rust through spots around the rear window. Going to use a rust converter inside the body panels for the surface rust. I am thinking doing the wrinkle paint instead of reinstalling the vinyl again. Over all the car is solid.

Hailstorm

Re: 74" XR7 Roof Chrome trim over the doors removal

Post by Hailstorm » 05 Aug 2018, 11:42

I have my answer. Pull the rubber seal out and that exposes screws that hold in the inner piece. Then once that is out. the outer comes out the same way.

The worse area on the car is around the lower portion of the rear window. Along the bottom. It is full of holes about half way across it. I guess I will need to remove the glass and see how I can replace that section.

badcatt
Registered Member

Re: 74" XR7 Roof Chrome trim over the doors removal

Post by badcatt » 05 Aug 2018, 12:06

Keep us informed on how it goes. not a lot of us have worked on the 74 and newer Cougars much. We need that information for others who want to take them on.
Good luck with this,
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -