Cleaning out a stinky interior

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: Cleaning out a stinky interior

Post by CATHOUSE » 20 Aug 2014, 07:27

TAKAFOOMI wrote:As well as black rear and 1 front seat to
match.. Which are in better condition than my current mouse devoured front seats and my light ivy gold rear seat. My present door panels are pretty ugly (dark ivy gold). I'm thinking of moving to a black interior so I can more easily get parts. What do you think?

He also has a front bumper that looks less rusty than mine. Is a 69 front bumper compatible?

He's looking for just a few hundred for the whole pile. Worth a gamble? Btw he also has front actuators/cans for the headlights as well as the front related assembly.

All of which is either lucky, bad timing or both because I need to fix my heater core. Looks like the evaporator hose and nipple on the fiberglass were removed ie broken by PO which I suspect is why my passenger floor was rusted. Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for listening :)
For the interior it's your car, do what makes you happy. If you are not concerned with keeping the car 100% original then change the interior color to whatever color you like. With a black interior you can paint the exterior any color, that would be a plus too.

No, a 69 front bumper will not work on your 68. Only a 67-8 Cougar front bumper will fit correctly.

Is the pile worth a couple hundred? Maybe, too hard to say with the limited information provided and no photos.

You will need to get the heater box out of the car to fully determine the extent of the damage. If it is not too bad it could be repaired with fiberglass. If it is too far gone then you will need to find a replacement.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 20 Aug 2014, 07:44

Thanks Randy. I understand. I also need to correct myself as it's a '67, not a 69 where these parts are coming from. What do you think about the Carb and Manifold intake manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 20 Aug 2014, 08:17

TAKAFOOMI wrote:Looks like the evaporator hose and nipple on the fiberglass were removed ie broken by PO which I suspect is why my passenger floor was rusted. Is there a way to fix it?
I recreated the drain hose nipple on my heater box using fiberglas. I found a candle that had the right diameter and stuck it in the hole, then formed the fiberglas around it. I used a candle thinking I could melt it if the fiberglas stuck to it. As it turned out, the candle slid out easily once the repair was done. WIthout the drain hose, condensate from AC (or leak from heater core) will drip onto the passenger floor and cause the type of rust you see. The hose itself is reproduced. Classic Auto Air's catalogue has exploded view diagrams of all the heater/AC parts and makes a nice supplement to the shop manual. http://www.classicautoair.com/download-catalog.html

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 20 Aug 2014, 10:33

MrEos wrote:
TAKAFOOMI wrote:Looks like the evaporator hose and nipple on the fiberglass were removed ie broken by PO which I suspect is why my passenger floor was rusted. Is there a way to fix it?
I recreated the drain hose nipple on my heater box using fiberglas. I found a candle that had the right diameter and stuck it in the hole, then formed the fiberglas around it. I used a candle thinking I could melt it if the fiberglas stuck to it. As it turned out, the candle slid out easily once the repair was done. WIthout the drain hose, condensate from AC (or leak from heater core) will drip onto the passenger floor and cause the type of rust you see. The hose itself is reproduced. Classic Auto Air's catalogue has exploded view diagrams of all the heater/AC parts and makes a nice supplement to the shop manual. http://www.classicautoair.com/download-catalog.html
Great idea. Thank you for sharing!

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 23 Aug 2014, 13:23

Got the core out of the car today. Not as bad as I thought but slow. I'll try to show you a few photos. The evaporator for the a/c looks ok, but the PO cut the lines very short and it makes no sense. Are these extendable?

The heater side looks OK. Lots of fluid.. Needs a good cleaning. I need to flush both with a hose to watch for obvious leaks.

The vacuum hoses that attached looked survivable albeit a little dry. The color stripes have faded a bit. Tried to label everything with tape and photos.

The hose out to the can in the passenger side fender wasn't connected to anything under the dash.. Just hanging there. Not clear to me where it should have been attached. The cable to the plenum (I think that's what it is) is froze with rust but the plenum itself moves freely.

Foam bits are rotten.

I can see a few cracks in the fiberglass near a couple of screw mounts.. And the hole where the evaporator drain hose used to go. I have a few more photos but tapatalk is stopping me at 3. Anyways, that's the result of today's surgery.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821317.199090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821317.199090.jpg (112 KiB) Viewed 153 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821278.914895.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821278.914895.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 153 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821248.566829.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408821248.566829.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 153 times

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Post by CATHOUSE » 23 Aug 2014, 18:11

I think that you will most likely end up replacing the evaporator core as I am not sure that you can just replace the cut off lines. Those lines end with a threaded fitting to attach the hoses. And it probably will be cheaper to replace it over paying someone to repair it. I have several of the cores sitting here already out of the heater box.

You also need to apply air pressure to the heater core to check it for leaks. I am pretty sure that there is a vacuum line diagram in the shop manual. Did you get one of those yet? You can purchase a complete foam replacement kit for the heater box, they are reproduced. I have those here too.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 24 Aug 2014, 16:48

I did order a shop manual, should be here in a few days. I flushed the cores with water but did not pressure test then with air.

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 14 Sep 2014, 15:33

Hello guys. Hoping you can answer a quick question for me which I don't see in the shop manual. The drain hose at the bottom of the ac assembly...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410730241.186246.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410730241.186246.jpg (117.99 KiB) Viewed 120 times

Which end goes in the fiberglass housing and what goes through the floor? I think the fat side goes in the housing... But looking at the diameter of the hole the hose looks to fat to fit. The hose was from WCCC so I'm pretty sure it's the right one, but the original hole doesn't look like it'd accommodate. Thanks guys!

Messenger
Registered Member

Post by Messenger » 14 Sep 2014, 18:03

You are missing the drain piece that the hose attaches to.
Attachments
ac box.jpg
ac box.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Les
CCOA #9179
1967 Cougar, 302-2v

TAKAFOOMI
Registered Member

Post by TAKAFOOMI » 14 Sep 2014, 20:55

Oh now I see. Thanks so much for the photo! Crud how do I make one of those? In guessing there's not a replacement bit. Wish I had a 3d printer to bang one out.