Seat removal

Paint, bondo, body work, and rust repair: whatever it takes to make your Cougar look new again, all goes here
Stuartmmcfc
Registered Member

Seat removal

Post by Stuartmmcfc » 10 Aug 2018, 08:46

Quick, easy question but since my accident I’m in a wheelchair and getting down takes a bit of effort so it’s easier to ask first here, hope you understand :)
I want to remove my drivers seat to fit the extension track to get a bit more leg room. Do you need to get under the car to undo the 4 nuts that hold the seat in place, or can they be undone from inside the car.
I notice from pictures of the underside there’s 4 round access holes in a lower section below where the seat is. Do I need to stick a socket up there?
Thanks
1969 xr-7 convertible.

CATHOUSE
Registered Member

Re: Seat removal

Post by CATHOUSE » 10 Aug 2018, 09:19

If the car you are working on is the 69 listed above, then yes, you need to get under the car to remove the seat. You will need to pop the 4 plugs out and then using a 1/2" (as I recall) socket with a short extension to remove the 4 nuts. Be careful as you do this as sometimes once the nut is completely off it will sometimes fall out of the socket. Then you will need to go fishing for the nut. Good luck with your project.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Stuartmmcfc
Registered Member

Post by Stuartmmcfc » 10 Aug 2018, 09:48

Thanks for the confirmation and advice.
1969 xr-7 convertible.

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 10 Aug 2018, 11:04

Sounds like you could use a Human Hoist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine

Midlife
Registered Member

Post by Midlife » 10 Aug 2018, 17:34

What's worse is getting those nuts back on the studs, as they tend to fall off into the cavity. I trick I learned is to use a bit of painter's tape and place over the socket then squish the nut into the socket. Once the nut is started, you can remove the ratchet, remove the tape, and finish the job.

Stuartmmcfc
Registered Member

Post by Stuartmmcfc » 01 Sep 2018, 12:57

Well, the extenders are fitted and I took the chance to also fit the seat height extenders to the runners.
I’m not at all short but now my legs don’t bend so well it’s made a huge difference to getting In and out of the car.
Luckily the car was restored a few years ago and doesn’t go out in the wet so the nuts came off easily :)
I convinced my Wife to help, and despite some grumbling, she managed without any real problems.
Infact I quite enjoyed bossing her around, but don’t tell her that!
1969 xr-7 convertible.